A reaffirmation of why we carry... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A reaffirmation of why we carry...

Chuckle, we have 4 dogs and you can't drop a cracker without them hearing it ... any rattle at night and they are all barking. The scenario you described is why I settled on simply keeping my piece on me at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Pac View Post
    Last night, around 1am I was in my living room winding down and getting ready for bed, when I heard someone trying to come through my back door. (Meanwhile my 14 mouth old English Mastiff slept soundly at my feet. maybe not as good of a guard dog as advertised. LOL)
    Like a Moron, I had all my weapons in my bedroom and I had to pass by the back door to retrieve any of them. (This is very unlike me since I usually keep my .45 on the kitchen counter any time I'm in the living room.)
    I flipped on the lights and this must have scared them off, cause when I did a quick peak around the corner to see the door, no one was there. I grabbed and loaded my 870, woke the dog and went outside to investigate. I found nothing, but figured if they we dumb enough to try and break in while someone was home, they may be dumb enough to return. So I called the State Police, just to make sure if anything went down, they would be aware of the situation. They said they would send a trooper through the neighborhood to see if they saw anything suspicious. Never saw the KSP drive by and I was up for another 3 hours!
    This is just one more example of the fact that you can't rely on the police for protection, there are not enough of them and they aren't always close enough to help. And, a reminder that, you won't always have the ideal setting when you may need to defend yourself or others; i.e. me not having a gun right where I needed it to be when trouble came knocking!
    Remember that training and situational awareness are the best ways to keep yourself safe. I bet you won't catch me without a firearm with in arms reach ever again!
    Ya got that big ol dog and that big ol gun Fat Pac, they just figured you could take care of yourself.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

This is why I have my Glock on my side from the time I wake up until I get in bed at night. You just never know.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Pac View Post
    Last night, around 1am I was in my living room winding down and getting ready for bed, when I heard someone trying to come through my back door. (Meanwhile my 14 mouth old English Mastiff slept soundly at my feet. maybe not as good of a guard dog as advertised. LOL)
    Like a Moron, I had all my weapons in my bedroom and I had to pass by the back door to retrieve any of them. (This is very unlike me since I usually keep my .45 on the kitchen counter any time I'm in the living room.)
    I flipped on the lights and this must have scared them off, cause when I did a quick peak around the corner to see the door, no one was there. I grabbed and loaded my 870, woke the dog and went outside to investigate. I found nothing, but figured if they we dumb enough to try and break in while someone was home, they may be dumb enough to return. So I called the State Police, just to make sure if anything went down, they would be aware of the situation. They said they would send a trooper through the neighborhood to see if they saw anything suspicious. Never saw the KSP drive by and I was up for another 3 hours!
    This is just one more example of the fact that you can't rely on the police for protection, there are not enough of them and they aren't always close enough to help. And, a reminder that, you won't always have the ideal setting when you may need to defend yourself or others; i.e. me not having a gun right where I needed it to be when trouble came knocking!
    Remember that training and situational awareness are the best ways to keep yourself safe. I bet you won't catch me without a firearm with in arms reach ever again!
    Probably a good idea to wait them out from inside your home.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    This is why I have my Glock on my side from the time I wake up until I get in bed at night. You just never know.
    Same here. except when im sleeping the XDm 9mm is on the floor on my belt and my Colt 1911 .45 is mounted on the bed 6" from where my head is. and Im one that sleeps with my hands over my head

I have a Gun Vault mounted on my night stand where I put my Glock when I go to bed. It takes less than 3 seconds to get it out. It is large enough for 2 guns and I keep a Ruger SP101 in there for my wife and kids when I am at work.

Quote Originally Posted by viperman View Post
    Same here. except when im sleeping the XDm 9mm is on the floor on my belt and my Colt 1911 .45 is mounted on the bed 6" from where my head is. and Im one that sleeps with my hands over my head
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12