Why was I denied?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why was I denied?

1. Why was I denied?

I went to the gunshop today to purchase a gun and I was told that I was denied. I went home and looked on the internet and looked up the site to check criminal background. It was three items on there. Two were restraining orders that I placed against someone else and the last thing was a speeding ticket from 2004 that was disposed. I sent the appeal letter and I wonder how long it will take for them to come to a decision. Im not sure why I was denied. Any suggestions would help. thanks

3. Lacking your name, SSN, and access to NCIS I can't answer your question. Two possibilities come to mind though. 1. They made a mistake. 2. You are the victim of criminal identity theft. I'd check your credit reports and also consider checking with your local police. I recommend doing this sooner than later.

I'm the victim of criminal identity theft, in addition to the normal identity theft with the bank accounts and the trouble with the IRS etc etc etc there are false warrants issued for my identity. I spent three days in a Wyoming jail last year while moving cross country. The guy they were looking for was 4-5 inches taller and 80 lbs heavier than I've ever been. The finger prints were also very different. I had supporting documentation, but not enough for the state trooper supervisor who I'm pretty sure was the one who made the call to lock me up. It was labor day weekend and it took three days for the Florida cops to drop their extradition request. An hour before I was released I went to court and the idiot judge wanted me to stay in town for a week until they held an identity hearing, and I was going to have to post two grand cash bond. She also had a copy of the info stating the guy was much larger than I am, and I do believe she had access to the fingerprints too, and they are so very different you don't need any sort of training to tell the difference.

So I would recommend investigating and finding out exactly why, and if it's ID theft best of luck. The Florida cops are the ones who have the responsibility for changing the warrant but I'm the one with the burden of changing it, and they've admitted I'm not the one they want, but they won't do anything about it.

I hope your appeal experience is better than mine. I also got mistakenly tagged by the Brady Bill check about a decade ago. One day I bought a Glock 26 no problem, then a month later as duck season approached I tried to buy a Mossberg 500 shotgun for duck season and got denied. They let me have a concealable pistol but not a duck gun

I stayed on top of the appeal process and made periodic checks to try to find out what was going on. I got the definite impression that my file stayed at the bottom of someone's inbox and no one cared one bit about having to admit they made a mistake. As I recall, it was many months - maybe even an entire year - before the issue was resolved and I could buy the gun. The reason I recall it may have been nearly a year was because the current duck season had long gone and it was nearly about to start again the next year before I finally was able to get that shotgun. Sheesh.

dont some states not allow you to purchase if you have orders of protection against someone else?
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot Henry View Post
    Lacking your name, SSN, and access to NCIS I can't answer your question.
    I have access to NCIS. Naval Criminal Investigative Service has no idea why he was denied either...
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Question Same thing happened to me.....

Funny thing was I had already been OK'ed to purchase two handguns on different occasions prior to being denied on the third. I filed the appeal. They (FBI) has a recording on the phone that indicates the appeal process takes 120 days. Which is exactly how long it took to get my denial explanation. Seems the third time around they found a little run in I had when I was 17. Some 42 years ago, nothing since, which BTW was supposed to be expunged from my record.

I'm in the process getting the expungment now which has so far taken 6 months already, with no known end date.

BTW Throughout this process I have held a valid CCP which I have renewed once, changed addresses once, all without a problem.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
    dont some states not allow you to purchase if you have orders of protection against someone else?
    Im not for sure but I did the restraining order in 2008 and it only lasted for a year so I still dont understand why I wouldn't be allowed to purchase one now.

9. I hope it is settled quickly. In Tennessee it states that they have 15 days to respond to my appeal. The problem that I have is that the place that I went to purchase the firearm still has the gun that I already bought and I have 30 days to pick it up and if there is a $60 cancellation fee if I get it before the 30 days are up and if the 30 days should pass then I dont even get my money back. That sucks big time.

Quote Originally Posted by shanta38116 View Post
    I hope it is settled quickly. In Tennessee it states that they have 15 days to respond to my appeal. The problem that I have is that the place that I went to purchase the firearm still has the gun that I already bought and I have 30 days to pick it up and if there is a $60 cancellation fee if I get it before the 30 days are up and if the 30 days should pass then I dont even get my money back. That sucks big time.
    If you win on appeal, and it was a problem with NICS that you were denied, tell the gun shop to give you all of your money back, sell you the gun for the original price, or you will take them to small claims court. The gun shop can not hold you financially responsible for a problem with NICS, if you win your appeal.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

11. Settle quick....and Govt...not in the same sentence

"I hope it is settled quickly. In Tennessee it states that they have 15 days to respond to my appeal."

As I remember they did send me an appeals package or something like that in 15 days. But the NCIS appeal process, when I did it, took 120 days.

My gun dealer, because I was already a customer, waived the fee they charge for processing a denied check and gave me all my money back, no hassle.

But he did tell me that because I was denied I could not use the range. (The only thing was when you buy guns from them they give you range time.) So I'm technically fighting to set the record straight and get the range time back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast