Duty Gear, For Any LEOs Current or Former
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duty Gear, For Any LEOs Current or Former

Duty Gear, For Any LEOs Current or Former

As an Armed Security Officer [Private Police] I was wondering how some former LEOs or other Security personell wear their Duty Gear on their belts. So, heres your chance, upload a Picture in the Comments area, show off the gear. =] Ill add mine here as well.

Left to Right:

Gerber folding knife, 2 Magazines [facing towards my rear], Baton, Flashlight, Handcuffs, Rubber Gloves, Handcuffs, Pistol, Mace, 2 Handcuff Keys.

Ive got a small waist, and usually clip my hand radio on the front left or right of my Duty Belt. Id like any suggestions on how to make my Duty Belt a little easier to access. Ive only worked Armed Security for a little under 5 months, always open to suggestions.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    As a Law Enforcement Official working Armed Security [Private Police] I was wondering how some former LEOs or other Security personell wear their Duty Gear on their belts. So, heres your chance, upload a Picture in the Comments area, show off the gear. =] Ill add mine here as well.
    First off, you are NOT an LEO if you're a rent-a-cop, armed security, or mall guard. And Second, the words "private" and "police" do not go together.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

My apologies weekendskp? Thats just what I was told we are. I was told through my employer that is what our title is, hence how we make arrests and issue small traffic tickets on our property.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Wink From Left to Right

1- Double magazine carrier
    2- Tazer
    3- Lasso
    4- Handheld CB radio with speaker/mic attached to epilet
    5- CCW Badge
    6- Mace
    7- Branding Iron
    8- Holster with pistol
    9- Handcuffs, case has pocket for keys

On a serious note...

when I was a LEO, I didn't have to carry nearly as much equipment as todays LEOs do. They must have an extra 10 pounds of stuff on their belts.

In my day, it was pretty simple. (Please excuse my ramblings. I'm practicing to be an old man.) Spare mags, key fob, gun, first aid pouch, handcuffs, nightstick (eventually giving way to a side handle baton).

That was pretty much it. Now, with Tazers and such, they looking like an equipment van with legs, plus the weight of their vests (which are lighter than they were back when...)

Check the NRA website, weekendskip. There are Public Law Enforcement and Private Law Enforcement personnel. Itstjs got it half right. It's about function, not titles.
    Public and Private Law Enforcement both enforce laws, protect persons and property. PvtLE cannot arrest with just probable cause and are limited by their agency's policy and are otherwise limited by their state of residence's penal code. Let's give PLE (especially armed) the respect they're entitled to; remember, Barney Fife was PubLE.
    Don't feel emasculated Itstjs, weekendskp is feeling a little insecure.

8. I'm curious... WTH is private police???
    I don't know of any PRIVATE POLICE Agencies... I'm guessing... maybe... like a mall cop?

It's a Matter of Semantics

It's a matter of semantics. The term Private Police is a misnomer, like calling a magazine a "Clip". The correct term is Private Law Enforcement and is generally related to armed positions in the private sector. One example is a Nuclear Security Officer. Private Law Enforcement Agents do not have police powers unless they are given by a government entity (special police powers).
    Mall cops are not private law enforcement agents unarmed private security guards. There is also the term "Peace Officer" which generally relates to public law enforcement postions where authority is limited to the emplyoyer's property (proprietory) and only while on-duty. This would be a sworn postion like the police officer. I think the enmity toward private law enforcement agents and/or security guards) arises when they act like or represent themselves, as "Police Officers" when they are not. I also think the enmity toward public law enforcement occurs when one thinks that he/she are better than anyone else. Just the humble opinion of a retired public law enforcement officer with 40 years of both public and private service.

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    First off, you are NOT an LEO if you're a rent-a-cop, armed security, or mall guard. And Second, the words "private" and "police" do not go together.
    Thanks for posting that. I AM a LEO and hate it when security guards think of them selves as LEO. Let me explain:

A security guard is basically a night watchman and their job is to observe, report, and to call a LEO if there is a problem. When they get to thinking of themselves as police then they start thinking that they are, and that leads them to getting themselves hurt or worse.

Rant over.
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by LEO 65-4 View Post
    It's a matter of semantics. The term Private Police is a misnomer, like calling a magazine a "Clip". The correct term is Private Law Enforcement and is generally related to armed positions in the private sector. One example is a Nuclear Security Officer. Private Law Enforcement Agents do not have police powers unless they are given by a government entity (special police powers).
    Mall cops are not private law enforcement agents unarmed private security guards. There is also the term "Peace Officer" which generally relates to public law enforcement postions where authority is limited to the emplyoyer's property (proprietory) and only while on-duty. This would be a sworn postion like the police officer. I think the enmity toward private law enforcement agents and/or security guards) arises when they act like or represent themselves, as "Police Officers" when they are not. I also think the enmity toward public law enforcement occurs when one thinks that he/she are better than anyone else. Just the humble opinion of a retired public law enforcement officer with 40 years of both public and private service.
    Nuclear security is handled by the Dept of Energy and those are government agents. Its a bit different then someone that went through a class at the local community college and got a card to carry a sidearm and a badge.
    -Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast