Kids and firearm safety

Thread: Kids and firearm safety

Kids and firearm safety

I tried to search, I know its there, so this can get moved.

My kids are 6,8, and 11. I've been teaching each of them to shoot and firearms safety since they were old enough to handle a weapon. They know the dangers, the effects, and the reasons behind owning and using firearms.
    Anyways, last summer my sis-n-law was visiting for a month with her kids. The two oldest were 9 and 6. Her son, 6yrs, was over for a couple of nights and we were going to go shooting the next day. He had never been shooting or handled a firearm, despite his step-father being active duty Marines. With her approval he was allowed to go with my kids and I shooting the next day.
    He has some social issues which make him a little un-predictable, ADD/ADHD. So I wanted to first see how he reacted to guns. I got my CC piece out and disassembled it on the counter while he was in the livingroom. I first unloaded it in the bedroom. Then reasswmbled it and went and sat next to him on the couch while he was watching tv with my kids. As I got up off the couch I left my pistol on the couch where I was sitting. No worries, I didn't put the barrel back in when I reassembled it just to be 100% sure that I did not negligently chamber a round.
    I left it there a good ten minutes, all the while he watched tv, looked over at it, got up for a drink, and sat back down. A little further away from the pistol. I asked him why he moved over, he said because my gun was there.

That is when his fire arms safety training began. I wantes to first see how he reacted around firearms.

Ozarkgunner

Good on ya! I did something similar w/my kids, but used some airsoft pistols I picked up years ago in Korea. I had hammered home the Four Rules, as well as if they ever found a firearm they were not to touch it, but to get an adult. I made sure no "rounds" were in the chamber, the magazines were missing and then left one sitting on the coffee table. My oldest did just what he was supposed to, but at a later test of my 4 year old, he did what he thought was right - he brought the gun right to me and told me I "forgot it and wasn't supposed to do that!"
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkgunner View Post
    My kids are 6,8, and 11. I've been teaching each of them to shoot and firearms safety since they were old enough to handle a weapon. They know the dangers, the effects, and the reasons behind owning and using firearms.
    Ozarkgunner

Good for you to be proactive about educating your children on the topic.

Just remember that children, even more so than adults, often disregard what they have learned about dangers. You still need to protect them from their natural tendencies. They can't be expected to act like responsible adults no matter how much training they have had. We can't even expect many adults to act like responsible adults.

Kids

My kids are younger (4 & 6) and they help me clean my guns and are learning to reload. They have learned the parts of a gun and ammunition. They have had gun safety rules hammered in. They love it.

My son (4) is hunting and fishing crazy and has more "guns" than I do, but they get taken away if he breaks safety rules with them. Let me tell you, he follows the rules. (His sister would rat him out anyway.)

Teach them early and let them see the guns any time they ask (under supervision). It takes away the mystery. We have started range practice with a pellet gun.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jes View Post
    but they get taken away if he breaks safety rules with them. Let me tell you, he follows the rules. (His sister would rat him out anyway.)
    Taking away a firearm after a safety rules has been broken won't bring back a dead sibling.

You are responsible for your children's safety. Do not leave the safety of your children in the hands of your children.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Taking away a firearm after a safety rules has been broken won't bring back a dead sibling.

You are responsible for your children's safety. Do not leave the safety of your children in the hands of your children.
    Very powerful statement. Learn it, know it, practice it.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Thumbs up Eddie Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Very powerful statement. Learn it, know it, practice it.
    And purchase some of the Eddie Eagle videos for your kids to watch.

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post

Guys, they don't get real guns. They are 4 and 6, they have toy guns. I make them follow safety rules with TOY GUNS.

They won't get to shoot real guns for a couple more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jes View Post
    Guys, they don't get real guns. They are 4 and 6, they have toy guns. I make them follow safety rules with TOY GUNS.

They won't get to shoot real guns for a couple more years.
    I knew that by reading your first post. It was pretty obvious by the way you worded it, especially with the "guns" thing.

READING COMPREHENSION PEOPLE!!!!