Do you answer a knock on your door with a gun in your hand? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Do you answer a knock on your door with a gun in your hand?

Not with it in my hand but with it in my holster and depending on the time and setting I may have my hand on it. I started leaving my piece on me at home that way I never have to go look for it.

Like some here, I carry whether I am in or out of the house. I have a license to do so. Our storm door also open outwards and made of steel. I live here in Missouri. We have a good castle doctrine here. It starts at the property line. I never answer the door when hubby is home. He does...but I stand by with a gun behind me to support him should the occasion calls for. We are team. If he is not home and I do not know/trust the one at the door, I do not answer the door, period. Anyone who forcibly enter this house will have to tackle my 127lb. rottie first.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Q: Do you answer a knock on your door with a gun in your hand?

A: Hell yes

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

5. I pull the hammer and put the barrel against the door right about where center mass Would be and look through the peephole. If I know them or am expecting them they are allowed in. If not they're instructed to leave and if they try to do anything other than that you can use your imagination as to what comes next. Don't give these BG's an inch people. The big bad wolf is real and just because he hasn't come huffing and puffing at your door yet doesn't mean he won't.

Do I answer the door with a gun?
    Usually.

The issue with police not being police.

I know EVERY officer in a two town radius of my town. So if they claim to be police I ask which person set them and ask two names. One is real one is fake, the odd thing is the real name sounds fake (sorry guy it's true your name sounds fake).
    If they just guess they will hesitate.

Well rule #1 of living in the inner city....don't answer the door if you are no t expecting anyone. Rule #2 if you have to answer the door you know that knock was just a little too hard or they won't stop kocking or ringing the doorbell strap up and strapup well. Gun in robe pocket extra clip in oppisite pocket with hard shoes on wedge foot at edge of door to ward off the bumbs rush.....

Yes, I have my carry gun which is on me even at home, but the door is steel reinforced frame and deadbolted. My "Door Gun" is a .44 Desert Eagle that can fire through the door before it gives should someone be trying an invasion. I hold it behind my thigh while answering the door and don't show it. My wife backs me up with larger firepower if late at night or suspicious circumstances. If it is Police, I ask for a badge number, call dispatch while I tell them I'm doing so, and confirm. If all checks out, Door Gun goes away and door gets opened. Police so far have not balked at security measures when told I was calling their dispatch.
    Edmund Burke: “The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.” – 1784 speech. Taken from Founding Fathers Notes. "The unarmed man is not just defenseless -- he is also contemptible." Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMR2 View Post
    Despite being a terribly uncommon situation, my biggest fear is one of those middle of the night, oops we have the wrong house, no-knock warrants. If a bunch of people break down the door yelling and screaming in the middle of the night, there's no time to sit around and try and figure out if they're friend or foe. You're going to assume, by virtue of the fact that they just invaded your house and are coming at you aggressively, that they mean to do you bodily harm, causing you to fear for your life, and you therefore open fire. Hopefully they really aren't just confused Police serving a no-knock on the wrong house...
    That IS the worst case scenario! I just saw a court case that decided for the DA's charges in just such a case. Bottom line, "fear of life" is NOT an excuse to blast away at the Police, no-knock or not. Now, being of Libertarian mind set, the simplest solution to this business is to require warrents and the "old fashioned" way of gaining entrance. The whole "no knock" business smacks of Gestapo/KGB tactics to me anyway.

As for the OP/Question.... I have a Beretta Tomcat that goes into my pocket before I answer any door, my motion detector floods go on so I can peek at the potential perps before I even acknowledge the door at all. If I DO decide to answer and open the door, I casually have one hand in my pocket, natural as breathing.

You know, I wasn't NEARLY this distrustful of my fellow citizens 20-30 years ago. I guess it's all a matter of perceived danger levels in any setting. When all the "bad things" you read about or hear about in the news starts getting close to home....... well, you have to prepare for the worst.

Shame one has to feel that way.

But, you know what? I have a sneaking suspicion that the worst of civil disorder/lawlessness is yet to come.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Yup. Every time after dark.

That "no knock" thing the police are doing is a dangerous thing for all involved. If I hear that door coming off and glass shattering, then someone steps in the doorway to the bedroom. Wow. Now are you going to react?

Psalm 82:3-5

This question really is "preaching to the choir", as evidenced by the replies. Apologize if my answer does not elucidate my thoughts correctly and cast disparagement on the replies, and yes I can appreciate being defense-minded and "what ifs" but, in the same breath, I truly feel sorry for my fellow forum members who find it necessary to go to their front door holding a firearm. Is it really that bad where you live? I do not believe replies are necessary--we will agree to disagree on such a need for this degree of proactive home defense.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast