Do you answer a knock on your door with a gun in your hand? - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Do you answer a knock on your door with a gun in your hand?

If it were late at night, yes, I would answer armed. But the reasons why I almost never answer the door armed: 1. Small neighborhood - we all know each other. 2.Dirt road - can hear cars pedestrians coming from a bit of a distance. 3. My dog can hear/smell people coming long before I do, and she always raises a ruckus if there's a knock or the doorbell rings. 4. Anyone entering my driveway is visible from bedroom or living room, the the front door, which is basically a big glass panel. If some jackass decides to smash the glass and enter the house through the front door, they could, but if that happens and I am in the house, then I will either be honored for making a "citizen's arrest," or treated like criminal cause I shot/killed the jackass to protect my home and family. There have been a few "B&E" events here in the past, but always when people are not at home. It's one reason I decided to arm myself and get a carry permit. If I happen upon one of my neighbors' home being broken into I don't want to be totally helpless. It takes the cops a long time to get here....

3. Door ?

I answer my phone with my gun your most vunerable opening your door you don't have a full view of what's out there at least give yourself a fighting chance

Short answer is yes.
    Due to the increased cost of Ammunition I will be forced to discontinue warning shots as of now! USAF Chief Master Sergeant, Retired, 1979-2005

5. yes

If the person or persons do not identify themselves as law enforcement and I'm not expecting anyone. Been in this situation before when I was stationed at Fort Sill. If they say they r police then tell them u r armed and they should ask u to lay it down and open the door.

Typically no. If I have it on then technically yes.

I have a business on site and I get customers at the front door from time to time. We did install a security type screen door 3 months ago so that adds a nice barrier when you open the main door.

Middle of the night has not happened yet but I'll probably be armed if I do.

Well..... Kel... the best I can say in rebuttal is..... You CYA in your way and I'll CMA in MY way.

To paraphrase an old adage: He who survives the longest.... WINS!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

I'm on 15 wooded acres within an hour of NYC. Have a 1400 ft driveway with sensors with different tones to be sure its not a deer. We have had people just drive up even tho it is heavily posted. If I don't recognize the car I'm out a different door out of their view to see what they are up to with my gun hidden by my side. My wife is also armed. If it is after dark as far as I am concerned they are up to no good. No one is coming to visit me. I can light up 2.5 acres of front lawn with 4000 watts of light. They have to go 300 ft before they are hidden by the trees. Good luck.

Bye the way, having had some observational time on "sheep dogs", my findings are that they mostly run in circles and bark a lot. Other than that, I'm sure they are useful in other ways..... enough to keep the breed alive, at any rate. If nothing else, keeps the shepherd from doing a lot of leg work.

Have you ever seen an ewe butt a dog she simply isn't going to take any more crap off of? Funny as hell. Usually doesn't hurt the dog..... but it sure shocks the hell out of him! LOL!

GG

Aw hell, meant to post my above in the ongoing "sheepdog" tournament.

GG

Various electronic sensors detect approaching vehicles, and the driveway is a couple hundred feet long, which gives me a lot of time to prepare an appropriate welcome. When I'm home and not in bed, the gun safe is unlocked and the door is slightly ajar. Every weapon in the safe larger than a .22 is in condition 1 - all I gotta do is pull a gun out and flip off the safety, and I'm ready to rock-n-roll. I usually have a pistol laying around somewhere nearby, too.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast