Hiding Guns - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiding Guns

My house was broken into, lost two guns

They kicked in my door, funny how a door buckles or wood door jam splinters. I got 5 new steel doors in molded plactic door jams, alarm system and 9 cameras. Outside motion detector surounding my entire house. Not much else I can do.

The thevies flipped over evey piece of futniture, opened every cabniet and dumped every draw on the floor. Stole my pillow cases and loaded them up with $1500 worth of my belongings.

I bought a large gun safe the next day, 3 new pistols. Two stay in the safe one on my hip or next to me as I sleep.

Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

We have Oak doors, repeated kicks the jam gives away. That looks like a truly lovely piece of furniture next to the bed.

4. Well, we've touched on alarms, dogs, armed response, even the auto vs pump debate. But the thread title was "Hiding Guns."

Whatever commercial "hide" is sold, the false books at Cheaper than Dirt or Amazon, the clocks and picture frames on Sportsman's Guide -- if it's offered the thief knows about it. If you're serious about hiding, study everything you can about hiding (and while you're at it, study the type of structure you live in), then think up something you have not seen even once in everything you have read.

The alternative to hiding is the massive safe, bolted to the floor. It represents a lot of work to the thief, not 5 minutes in and out.

The two can be combined. One can hide one's safe (or vault room with safe door). Some safe sellers I've talked with believe in making the safe very visible, saying the thief wants in and out in a hurry and he knows the safe will take time. But I've seen video of thieves hauling away a safe on a hand truck, even attaching a cable from the safe to their truck.

Deception: I think it was Ayoob who once recommended an old safe from an auction, place very visibly in the room, so the thief would go after that instead of your "true" hidden gun safe.

Instead of "Radiation" signs (I have one or two old Civil Defense signs), I'd suggest biohazard signs, perhaps some literature on a terrible disease, make the thief think he's broken into the house of an AIDS patient (most burglars are too ignorant to know it's nearly impossible to catch AIDS without sexual contact).

An entry alarm, triggering a PA broadcast from a hidden recorder might, if sufficiently creative, convince a housebreaker that his entry was being monitored and armed response was on the way.

Of course, if you're serious about making the burglar leave without taking anything, there's always Burglar Bomb Anti Burglary Pepper Spray Systems, protect your home using pepper spray which is the modern version of "Burglarmist" and "Terminator" systems. That AB 2000, if filled with CN instead of capsicum, is exactly what we bought my grandfather in the early 1980's. Remember, pepper spray and CN can easily air out. But CS is forever; you'll end up building another house. If you have pets in the house, this option is out, but it IS very effective; last I heard its track record was 100 percent.

Also, there's the philosophy of "decentralize your resources." Don't store all of your guns in your house. Put other gun safes in the barn or in a friend's barn, etc. The guns you actually need to defend the house will be on you or next to you while you sleep.

But as to "hiding," this is the Age of the Internet. Privacy does not exist. If one person has heard of a particular method of hiding, then millions have heard of it.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    Well, we've touched on alarms, dogs, armed response, even the auto vs pump debate. But the thread title was "Hiding Guns."

Whatever commercial "hide" is sold, the false books at Cheaper than Dirt or Amazon, the clocks and picture frames on Sportsman's Guide -- if it's offered the thief knows about it. If you're serious about hiding, study everything you can about hiding (and while you're at it, study the type of structure you live in), then think up something you have not seen even once in everything you have read.

The alternative to hiding is the massive safe, bolted to the floor. It represents a lot of work to the thief, not 5 minutes in and out.

The two can be combined. One can hide one's safe (or vault room with safe door). Some safe sellers I've talked with believe in making the safe very visible, saying the thief wants in and out in a hurry and he knows the safe will take time. But I've seen video of thieves hauling away a safe on a hand truck, even attaching a cable from the safe to their truck.

Deception: I think it was Ayoob who once recommended an old safe from an auction, place very visibly in the room, so the thief would go after that instead of your "true" hidden gun safe.

Instead of "Radiation" signs (I have one or two old Civil Defense signs), I'd suggest biohazard signs, perhaps some literature on a terrible disease, make the thief think he's broken into the house of an AIDS patient (most burglars are too ignorant to know it's nearly impossible to catch AIDS without sexual contact).

An entry alarm, triggering a PA broadcast from a hidden recorder might, if sufficiently creative, convince a housebreaker that his entry was being monitored and armed response was on the way.

Of course, if you're serious about making the burglar leave without taking anything, there's always Burglar Bomb Anti Burglary Pepper Spray Systems, protect your home using pepper spray which is the modern version of "Burglarmist" and "Terminator" systems. That AB 2000, if filled with CN instead of capsicum, is exactly what we bought my grandfather in the early 1980's. Remember, pepper spray and CN can easily air out. But CS is forever; you'll end up building another house. If you have pets in the house, this option is out, but it IS very effective; last I heard its track record was 100 percent.

Also, there's the philosophy of "decentralize your resources." Don't store all of your guns in your house. Put other gun safes in the barn or in a friend's barn, etc. The guns you actually need to defend the house will be on you or next to you while you sleep.

But as to "hiding," this is the Age of the Internet. Privacy does not exist. If one person has heard of a particular method of hiding, then millions have heard of it.
    Very good input!

6. But as to "hiding," this is the Age of the Internet. Privacy does not exist. If one person has heard of a particular method of hiding, then millions have heard of it.

All my jewelry fell overboard in a boating accident. Now I only own one hand gun that I carry with me, and my wife carries as well. I never thought it was as good Ideal to flaunt any collection on line. Google does a real good job at locating people by name and address. I often wonder how many thieves had found their victim on sites like these. Maybe Treo could chime in on that
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Gun Safe built in to concrete in dwelling except the pistol and shotgun in shadowblind.

Like I said

They stole everything of value, I'm divorced so that wasn't much to go through.

They emptied every thing on the floor and there wasn't any cabinet with out the doors open and stuff on the floor or pushed around. Drawers were pulled out so they could dump them.

Flipped all the beds, mattresses and box springs thrown against wall up right. I guess I can't describe it better than that. Wish I had taken pictures, hope you don't experience it for your self.

Pretty sure they didn't go in the attic or detached garage.

Not sure where you could hide a gun at least in my house. Like I said I'm divorced so I don't have the typical family house stuffed with furniture and nick knacks.

Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

9. H
    Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    They stole everything of value, I'm divorced so that wasn't much to go through.

They emptied every thing on the floor and there wasn't any cabinet with out the doors open and stuff on the floor or pushed around. Drawers were pulled out so they could dump them.

Flipped all the beds, mattresses and box springs thrown against wall up right. I guess I can't describe it better than that. Wish I had taken pictures, hope you don't experience it for your self.

Pretty sure they didn't go in the attic or detached garage.

Not sure where you could hide a gun at least in my house. Like I said I'm divorced so I don't have the typical family house stuffed with furniture and nick knacks.

Chap

Chap, my guess your safe weights about 350 lbs as it stands. A heavy dolly and two theives could easily remove. I would bolt in down to the floor and wall.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    That product looks awfully similar to Burglar Blaster Anti Burglary System

I wonder if the design is the same.

Interesting

Thank You all for interesting ideas. I don't have a farm, I live in the suburbs. I do have a dog, I do have neighbors with dogs. Got broken into anyway. What are we coming to? Used to be you could leave your shotgun loaded over the mantel piece when the Zombies, or wolves come. We have taken more secure methods since then. I was looking for ideas outside the standard. When I grew up, Every one had guns. In racks in the back of pickups, hand guns in the Glove box of the car. In cases in the living room. Now we have to resort to deception to keep what we treasure.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast