Hiding Guns - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiding Guns

It doesn't matter how big or heavy your safe is, I would suggest bolting it to the studs in the wall rather than in a corner of the room. Mine is flat against the wall and bolted to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Chap View Post
    They kicked in my door, funny how a door buckles or wood door jam splinters. I got 5 new steel doors in molded plactic door jams, alarm system and 9 cameras. Outside motion detector surounding my entire house. Not much else I can do.

The thevies flipped over evey piece of futniture, opened every cabniet and dumped every draw on the floor. Stole my pillow cases and loaded them up with $1500 worth of my belongings.

I bought a large gun safe the next day, 3 new pistols. Two stay in the safe one on my hip or next to me as I sleep.

'til next time, Switch
    "Next to creating life, the finest thing a man can do is to save one." - Abraham Lincoln

My break-in experience...

I have a large safe in the basement and it weighs 800lbs empty and it certainly isn't empty now! When our home was broken into more than 12 years ago, the crooks weren't in the house very long at all and they left the basement alone and focused on the bedroom and bedroom closet. Every shoe box was opened, all drawers were open and ransacked and they stole the 35mm camera my father-in-law gave me for a wedding gift, since the camera case was on a shelf in the bedroom closet.

I store ammo in the bottom of my safe and I recommend that people do that or better yet, bolt the safe to the walls or floor, especially for smaller safes. The only guns not in the safe are the ones my wife and I are carrying... We also keep important papers in the safe and DVD's of family pictures and backups from our computers (family pics, videos and music performance by family, etc...).
    Daily carry: Sig P239 or S&W 3913
    High Noon Horsehide holster
    Black Talon ammo

4. Quote Originally Posted by CAmerica View Post
    Thank You all for interesting ideas. I don't have a farm, I live in the suburbs. I do have a dog, I do have neighbors with dogs. Got broken into anyway. What are we coming to? Used to be you could leave your shotgun loaded over the mantel piece when the Zombies, or wolves come. We have taken more secure methods since then. I was looking for ideas outside the standard. When I grew up, Every one had guns. In racks in the back of pickups, hand guns in the Glove box of the car. In cases in the living room. Now we have to resort to deception to keep what we treasure.
    Build little shelves under cabinets that you can reach up into.. on top of kitchen cabinets., Also fake door jamb molding etc. If you look around your house carefully, I bet you will find places to install "built in's" That no one else will notice.. I do like the vent idea too...
    I refuse to be a victim, and to to protect my loved ones.. That is why I carry..

Smaller safes should be bolted through the floor. Not just screwed, bolted. A safe with dial tumblers is of no use. You need fingertouch access. A gun in a secured lockbox under the bed or in a closet is handy and fast. If you're practicing good rules of PPITH then you know the gun is your tool of LAST resort. First? Get an alarm, motion lights, a dog, a bar for under the doorknobs, etc.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

i could not afford a big safe for my guns...i did get a knack job box and glued it to the floor with some very strong marine adhesive ...i store all my power tools and MOST my firearms in it..also all my ammo ..you would need a good afternoon worth of time and the proper tools to get this thing out...should there be a fire..i may loose my guns but the firefighters will be safe with the ammo locked up

Hiding Guns

I don't know if having everything in one location is the best idea. It may be secure, for now. I am a believer in splitting things up. That way you only lose half if they find it. Someone ransacking the house is not a good thing, and perhaps leaving something out for easy access (and loss) might be smart. The other thing I am concerned about is the 'Lets Get Nut of Town' program, like hurricane Katrina, and those poor people in Japan.
    Even today contractors are finding money and guns stored in walls of houses during the '30's, to keep them safe from their neighbors.
    In those cases, having a concealed carry, always with you, while not grabbing attention is a very good thing. For years I used an ankle attachment. Just in Case.
    Better to be prepared and not need it, than to need it and not have it, is my motto.

8. Great thread. Along with two German Shepherds and a Golden Retriever I have a gun safe that weighs 750lbs(empty) in my saferoom that is bolted to the floor for my guns along with a safe in my workroom for my ammo and another for my handloading supplies. I don't live in a high crime area, but there have been break-ins as well as a couple of home invasions in the area. Even in a rural town like mine you have to be as safe as you can. I keep my carry gun within arms reach at all times and my tactical scattergun and an AR are always locked and loaded in the safe. I don't think that hiding a gun is a good idea, a thief is going to be better at finding it then you will be at hiding it. As far as putting up information on the internet, I always use a throw away email address that can't be traced back to me that I use for forums and general sites and another for facebook and another for internet purchases. Criminals use the internet more than ever now and it's only going to get worse. It sounds a bit paranoid, but after 20 years in the military, I've learned that information is power.

Its gonna take a lot of guys to pick up some of the safes I have seen. If you are worried.....buy a Rott.

Safe with Dial tumbler

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    A safe with dial tumblers is of no use. You need fingertouch access.
    Hey BC1, I have a dial tumbler, I almost upgraded to the electronic push button or finger print type. Instead of spending the money I figured an easy solution for my dial type safe.

I bought a magnetic type light which I mounted above the dial. It's for night use. I then spin in first two of my combo numbers, stop on a whole number just before the last number is dialed in. (lets say it 55 I spin in my numbers and stop on 50)

Later down the road, to open from that position I just have to spin to 55 and turn left until it stops. Safe now opens. By preloading the combo its a slight left then hard right, no one else know the final number or the fact I preloaded the combo so safe is still shall we say still safe.

No 55 is not my last number...........

Just a thought about dial safes.

Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

My heavy safe was delivered on a commercial motorized dolly by one guy. It rolled thru my house into bedroom and he put it in place all by himself in under 5 minutes. So yes it could be stolen by one person with a commercial dolly.

I havn't bolted it down since the safe is fire rated and I'm not going to drill holes in it. Yes I could use some angle iron and strap it to concrete floor or studded walls if I wanted. I just figured the new steel exterior doors, alarm system and camera system should be enough for the crash and grab thevies like the ones who hit my house earlier. A professional thief will overcome anything I throw at them, thats what my full replacement homeowners insurance is for. My insurance company paid me for the last burglery, the cops caught the gang of kids within a week but everything was pawned or sold off by then.

Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast