Handgun grips used against you in court? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun grips used against you in court?

Plaintiffs attorneys be damned in South Dakota, if you are deemed to be justified in shooting the perp the only thing the family will hear from the judge in a civil case is "case dismissed, pay the defendants legal bills".

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
    Plaintiffs attorneys be damned in South Dakota, if you are deemed to be justified in shooting the perp the only thing the family will hear from the judge in a civil case is "case dismissed, pay the defendants legal bills".

It should be this way in EVERY state.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    What does that mean? Are you trying to say don't use the same ammo as your local/state police departments? If so why not? I carry the same ammo and see no problem in doing so.
    I believe the poster was saying to not do any changes to your equipment that would paint you in a bad light.

But yes, to use the same ammo as law enforcement.

5. I cannot forsee good things coming out of having grips that suggest death or other motifs that may indicate any sort of fascination with using a gun to kill. We all know that this is a possibility but REVELING in that possibility is another thing entirely. Same thing for walking around in a t-shirt that says "Guns Don't Kill People I KILL PEOPLE" or other such nonsense.

When I got my CWP (in South Carolina), the instructor told us that if we have to use deadly force we will be sued by someone. Using the same ammo as law enforcement is easily defensible (remember the quote "I figured that it was good if the police use it.") The same thing for items like Crimson Trace grips ("I got them because the ad said that if someone attacked me and saw the laser they might run and I would not have to shoot them.") However, something like grips with a grim reaper or a skull and crossbones on them could be used against you in a civil suit. Like it or not that's the reality of the situation. They certainly wouldn't guarantee that you would lose the suit but they wouldn't help at all.

That said, if you put something like the crest to your old (or current) military unit, an American flag, your favorite football team or something like that you would probably be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    When I got my CWP (in South Carolina), the instructor told us that if we have to use deadly force we will be sued by someone. Using the same ammo as law enforcement is easily defensible (remember the quote "I figured that it was good if the police use it.") The same thing for items like Crimson Trace grips ("I got them because the ad said that if someone attacked me and saw the laser they might run and I would not have to shoot them.") However, something like grips with a grim reaper or a skull and crossbones on them could be used against you in a civil suit. Like it or not that's the reality of the situation. They certainly wouldn't guarantee that you would lose the suit but they wouldn't help at all.

That said, if you put something like the crest to your old (or current) military unit, an American flag, your favorite football team or something like that you would probably be fine.
    Well said and to the exact important point.
    It's the same thing about drinking and carrying. Some think that one drink is OK. Do you want the witness that saw you last before you had to defend yourself walking to your car be the waitress or waiter that brought you the drink?

Enough silly, theoretical speculation.

Any hard facts such as actual cases?

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Enough silly, theoretical speculation.

Any hard facts such as actual cases?

-Doc
    No actual cases or hard facts, but the idea here is to maximize the possibility of a jury ruling in favor of the law abiding citizen who acted in self defense. And lawyers and prosecutors, as we all know, will do ANYTHING to win, period.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    No actual cases or hard facts, but the idea here is to maximize the possibility of a jury ruling in favor of the law abiding citizen who acted in self defense. And lawyers and prosecutors, as we all know, will do ANYTHING to win, period.
    Even to the point of witholding facts in the case. Ask Senator Ted Stevens' family.

DA: Why do you have a custom gun? Is it because you planned to use it someday and the victim was the first person you got to use it on?
    You: No,I.... DA: So you've used it before on someone? No further questions.
    Your Atrorney: Objection!
    And the damage is already done with the jury unless the jurors understand trial by ambush.

Quote Originally Posted by The Realist View Post
    Yes, You gotta love that strong "Stand your ground" up in the Dakotas! I was trying to get a nonresident permit from North Dakota before they changed their law, so I was reading up on their laws, which are way better than they are in my home state of Pennsylvania.
    I am jealous, but if all goes well, that will change for Pennsylvania this year.

Depending on the state, attorneys can and will use anything they can against you. Expect exaggerations and demonization. The Miranda statement, as stated on this thread, pretty much sums it up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast