Are .380's a Ripoff? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Are .380's a Ripoff?

You are probably correct that people with 380s might do less practice shooting because these small guns tend to get uncomfortable. 9mm is the caliber everybody and his brother uses so there's a lot more being made.

I recently came across this company and it's by far the best price I have seen

380 Auto 100 gr FMJ New

They also have 9mm at 8.45$ which I will definetely try.

.380s really got a boost when concealed carry started to become more widespread over the past 10-20 years. (Finally, Laws permitting!) Got another "kick" when Obama got elected. THAT's when the ammo prices hit max. Like the man said, supply and demand. (My local gun shop had a poster of Obama on the wall, captioned with "Gun salesman of the year!" on it. (LOL!) Truth hurts!

I have a Taurus PT 58S (1995 manufacture, I discovered), 12 capy mag, double stack, that I picked up at a pawn shop a few years back. (Couldn't resist the price nor the way it fit into my large hand.) Keep it for home defense with hollow points. Like some others in here, I don't relish the idea of dealing with through and through shootings in my home. (Bad enough having to deal with BGs without the worry of "collateral damage".)

But, that's just me. Some people like the idea of banging off cannons in their home and can come up with some pretty good reasons (excuses?) for doing so. (I really would go for the shotgun for first line of defense, but, time being of the essence...... all situational.)

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

The local Wally World has Remington 380 JHP for $31.98, same price as Winchester white box and my Sig 238 loves it.

5. The latest Handgunner Magazine explains it pretty well. Quick sum up: 9mm factory loading equipment is always running 9mm for a global supply or contracts. The other calibers use 1 or more machine, but they change out the line depending on what caliber their loading. The change outs cost time and money and usually less quantity = higher price.

Jason
    Jason
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger:194005
    Quote Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
    Seriously, why do you think this is? Are more .380 owners casual carriers who just like something easy to carry "just in case", rather than "head to the range" types who enjoy shooting?
    I would suggest that most .380s now are so small that they are not very fun to shoot, and honestly some of the smaller ones can't stand as many rounds as a full-size 9mm. You can take a Glock 9mm to the range with 200 rounds and have a fun day. If you take a Ruger LCP to the range with 200 rounds you're going to have a sore hand and 100 left-over rounds.
    We have two 380's both are fun to shoot. My wifes Bursa is a little bigger. It hurts my hand a little. My p238 is awsome but you loose a little range with the shorter barrel. 2 in low a 21 ft.

.380 is what I carry everyday (that I am not at work for they don't allow it) and although the ammo can be more expensive, it also matters on where you live, how much you buy, what you buy etc etc.

Also if you reload it is MUCH!! cheaper then 9mm. You can use the same powder and some people say the same bullets, (not true).

Quote Originally Posted by nraynes View Post
    Also if you reload it is MUCH!! cheaper then 9mm. You can use the same powder and some people say the same bullets, (not true).
    The heaviest round that can be safely fired from a .380 is 115gr... very ill-advised IMO.

People should stick to using 95gr .380 loads, less risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

As to why some people carry .380 pockets pitols over 9mm sub-compacts.....

I have yet to find a 9mm the fit in my front pocket quite like my TCP. If dress allows for the 9mm, I'll carry that... if not, I go with the .380 TCP.

.380 usually does cost more than 9mm, yes. It isn't cost prohibitive unless you practice with your carry piece weekly by firing hundreds of rounds. I don't need to fire that many weekly to feel comfortable in my skills. But that's me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

With the new Sig 938 and the Kimber Solo and other lt wt 9's I can't see buying a 380
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob:272505
    Quote Originally Posted by nraynes View Post
    The heaviest round that can be safely fired from a .380 is 115gr... very ill-advised IMO.

People should stick to using 95gr .380 loads, less risk.
    I agree. Hence why i said it was false.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast