Recommended 1911 upgrades?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended 1911 upgrades?

Question Recommended 1911 upgrades?

As I stated before I'm looking at getting a Armscor 1911(Rock Island Armory). Having never owned a 1911 before, I'm wondering what upgrades are a must/are nice?

I found a list on another forum.

Wilson Combat Adjustable Trigger...15.95
    Titanium Strut...14.55
    Wilson Value Hammer...23.95
    Wilson Value Sear...14.95
    Nowlin Recoil spring(16 or 18.5)..4.70
    Nowlin HD firing pin spring...1.89
    Nowlin Hammer Spring...1.87
    Nowlin Match grade sear spring...4.59

Total for parts= 82.45

Is this a good list? Should more be added? Should less be done? The only two I plan on doing right now are grips and night sights.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Well first on the list should be some cmc power 8 mags. I would hate to see you have issues with the gun just because of the stock mags. Some trijicons would be nice, a good leather holster-the kydex ones wear the guns finish. The list you've made is pretty thorough so I'm not sure what else to add. I have three and haven't done really anything to them yet. My two springers came with night sites but I need to add them to my colt. Good luck with your first of soon to be many 1911's! Just practice with ball ammo and for carry I would recommend corbon/glasser powerball ammo.

4. Basically, the list you posted boils down to an action job with the addition of a new trigger (that's personal preference, some folks like short triggers, others long and still others the square faced extra long trigger- it boils down to what you need to get your finger in the right spot), firing pin spring (decreases lock time-maybe) and recoil spring (you can tune the action to what you are shooting by changing them). You don't HAVE to rebuild a 1911 when you get it. It depends on what YOU want/need. A 1911 is essentially the Chevy 350 of the gun world. There's so many folks making parts for it that the only place you can't find parts for a 1911 is in the McDonald's drive thru. Personally, I've found that making the gun more shootable for ME doesn't necessarily include replacing all the internals. They normally work fine as they come out of the box. I carried a Colt Combat Commander that was bone stock except for the addition of an ambidextrous safety (I need it because I'm left handed) for about 10 years and never had a problem.

I suggest you stick with your original plan of upgrading the grips and sights for now and see what your particular gun NEEDS to satisfy YOU. The stock Rock Island grips are UGLY to me and there's dozens of companies out there that can supply you with better ones and those itty bitty GI style sights aren't for everyone.

I have a colt series 80 gold cup. I haven't changed anything on it and it is the best shooting gun that I have. I would recommend upgrading only after you have shot it. I'm sure there are things that can make them better though.

I recomend getting a Glock as an upgrade from the 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
    I have a colt series 80 gold cup. I haven't changed anything on it and it is the best shooting gun that I have. I would recommend upgrading only after you have shot it. I'm sure there are things that can make them better though.
    Before upgrading it I planned on putting about 1000 rounds through it at the range in a day. Then taking it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    I recomend getting a Glock as an upgrade from the 1911.
    LOL, I have a S&W M&P for that.

Quote Originally Posted by homershoots View Post
    Well first on the list should be some cmc power 8 mags. I would hate to see you have issues with the gun just because of the stock mags. Some trijicons would be nice, a good leather holster-the kydex ones wear the guns finish. The list you've made is pretty thorough so I'm not sure what else to add. I have three and haven't done really anything to them yet. My two springers came with night sites but I need to add them to my colt. Good luck with your first of soon to be many 1911's! Just practice with ball ammo and for carry I would recommend corbon/glasser powerball ammo.
    Thanks for the input.

If you decide to buy more magazines, you might see if you can test some different brands in your gun. I don't know if it is just mine or not, but some brands I have a hard time getting to release. Wilson Combat and the original Colts that I have seem to work the best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
    If you decide to buy more magazines, you might see if you can test some different brands in your gun. I don't know if it is just mine or not, but some brands I have a hard time getting to release. Wilson Combat and the original Colts that I have seem to work the best for me.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to research that when the time comes. Wilson makes outstanding stuff,but it's a little to pricey for me. I'll shop around and test out a few here and there till I find some that work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast