I Shot Myself Yesterday - Page 10
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I Shot Myself Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    Why drop the hammer? I know it is a dumb question but if we totally depend on ourselves to be the safety then there is no need for decockers, frame safeties, grip safeties or safe triggers. We claim that we are the safety but we need help.
    It's called cost-benefit analysis. It's the same reason you're (presumably) comfortable carrying with an external safety and don't actually carry your gun with a cable lock running down the barrel.

I don't see any reason to carry with the hammer cocked on a double action pistol; there's almost no benefit at all.

Everybody has to do their own analysis.
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFreak View Post
    It's called cost-benefit analysis. It's the same reason you're (presumably) comfortable carrying with an external safety and don't actually carry your gun with a cable lock running down the barrel.

I don't see any reason to carry with the hammer cocked on a double action pistol; there's almost no benefit at all.

Everybody has to do their own analysis.
    Billy
    I don't want anyone to think that I am against guns without an external (Frame) safety as out of the 7 handguns I own only 2 have safeties on them. Out of seven long guns two of them have half-cock safeties. I am just trying to point out that when someone claims that a gun such as a Glock will not fire unless a finger is on the trigger that is not always true and we must be ever careful no matter what kind of safety it has. One can claim that they are the safety and their gun will not fire without a finger on the trigger but would be foolish to carry around a 1911 without the safety on or to disconnect the safety locks on a Glock. The human mind and trigger finger are not infallable and that little extra safety helps but do not depend on your mind or training totally. As jeepfreak says it is a cost benefit ratio and it is a very high price to pay for so little benefit. I just find it interesting that so many people tell about how a safety would be such a disadvantage on most modern pistols having to remember to take the safety off and all the problems surrounding it yet have no problems with the same safety mechanism on a 1911. If having a safety on a Glock would be such a problem (forget the perceived need for it) as so many people have argued about then why do the same problems not apply to a 1911 or similar gun.

Glad you are gonna be fine, and YES it took lots of big brass balls to tell everyone the story. IF this keeps just ONE person from making a similar mistake then it was worth the embarrassment you are going through.

Don't be too hard on yourself, it was called an ACCIDENTAL discharge for a reason. You already know what mistake(s) you made, so learn from it and vow never to violate those safety rules again.....never, ever.

Hoping for a speedy recovery for you bro. Good luck.

Two quick points that I do not think have been made... and since I have already said my "Glad you are ok" comment here we go.

First off, I think too many people out there are under the belief that if they shoot someone they will instantly "go down". This is a great example of someone who was shot and yet still remained calm and was able to drive themselves to the hospital. This is why shot placement is so critical.

The second is that if you are in a firefight (no matter if in your home or where you dump sand out of your boots) if you are shot, depending on where, you can still carry on. Your mission may be to get yourself help, as it was in this case, or it may be to get back in the fight. Do NOT give up. FIDO!
    Security is your concern. Helping you provide it is ours.
    www.oramsecurity.com
    USMC Scout Snipers - Stealth, Silence, Precision Violence

Glock and a couple of other so called "trigger safety" makes it as safe as putting your finger on a revolver trigger.

Thanks for the reminder, hopefully a speedy recovery & the work issues go well.

What should go through a mind when you prepare to run your chainsaw? How about firing up your motorbike? Some of these same thought processes should be going through your mind as you touch a weapon. You mind needs to swing around & become squared away to deal with the task at hand. If your not prepared to do that set that activity aside & go back to the internet.

ND accident

Like everyone else, glad you did no lasting damage other than to your pride but aren't you glad this didn't happen somewhere else and someone else was shot instead of you!
    Whether family, co-worker, or total stranger, that would have been MUCH worse.
    "Playing" with handguns (even though we all do it) is never a good idea.
    Tough lesson, but you will most likely never have another such ND!
    My accidental discharge cost me a $700 sliding glass door which led to a guilt trip to visit an ailing mother in law 300 miles away ( we had just been there 2 weeks earlier) but then she did pass away 30 minutes after we got there.
    Maybe my ND was "devine intervention", who knows.
    But it sure made me stop and wonder---

You are not by yourself in making mistakes. Shot a hole through our wood stove and into a desk beside my brother. What we apparently both did was not racking the slide back far enough to eject the shell. If you do not pull it back to the ejector pin then the extractor holds the shell against the bolt face. I now physically look into every chamber and insist others do also. I have a hole in my pelvis area from an unloaded gun in my first cousin's hands. THEY ARE ALL LOADED--ALL THE TIME. Glad you are OK and like another said--thanks for sharing.

10. Had an "accidental" discharge a couple years ago. I was lowering the hammer on an SA/DA .45, when the hammer slipped out of my fingers and fired off the chambered cartridge. First thing I did was try to figure out what I had done wrong. The second thing I did was put the safety back on to this reloaded pistol.

I hollered down (I was on the second floor) to make sure the wife and dogs were okay.

I unloaded the gun and tried to figure what it was I had done. The web of my left hand was bloodied a bit where the sights had raked across it. I had been pointing the gun down and to my left and have yet to find the exit wound in the floor. I realized then that the (slightly-oiled) hammer had slipped out of my left forefinger and thumb.

I quit with keeping one in the chamber.

Now (on SA/DA) guns, I keep the gun cocked (to reduce the load effort) and keep the chamber empty.

If I need to use it so fast that I need to have one in the chamber, chances are I'm not going to get much of shot off anyways.

11. Quote Originally Posted by pungunsun View Post
    Had an "accidental" discharge a couple years ago. I was lowering the hammer on an SA/DA .45, when the hammer slipped out of my fingers and fired off the chambered cartridge. First thing I did was try to figure out what I had done wrong. The second thing I did was put the safety back on to this reloaded pistol.

I hollered down (I was on the second floor) to make sure the wife and dogs were okay.

I unloaded the gun and tried to figure what it was I had done. The web of my left hand was bloodied a bit where the sights had raked across it. I had been pointing the gun down and to my left and have yet to find the exit wound in the floor. I realized then that the (slightly-oiled) hammer had slipped out of my left forefinger and thumb.

I quit with keeping one in the chamber.

Now (on SA/DA) guns, I keep the gun cocked (to reduce the load effort) and keep the chamber empty.

If I need to use it so fast that I need to have one in the chamber, chances are I'm not going to get much of shot off anyways.
    Simply put “Negligent Discharge” Guns just don’t discharge by themselves.. Lean how to use it and be save.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast