I Shot Myself Yesterday - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: I Shot Myself Yesterday

1. Just wanted to give an update on how my wounds are doing.

I've posted some pictures on my profile of my hand that were taken yesterday.

I've been doing much better emotionally than I was before. I'm climbing the walls, of course, and am anxious to heal up enough so that I can get a job in Houston. I'm hoping our house sells quickly so I can hit the ground running as soon as I'm able.

My hand is in constant, but tolerable pain. The exposed nerves will continue to hurt until they're covered with new skin and flesh. I no longer have my hand fully wrapped, but am able to get by with regular large bandages. My pinkie is numb, as is the side of my ring finger next to it. Doctor says that should largely go away as the nerves regenerate (they grow as fast as a fingernail).

I've been a bit shell-shocked by this, and have only started handling my guns again the last few days. Haven't even wanted to mess with them. As one so aptly stated, I treat them like live snakes. I have no doubt whatsoever that this will never, ever, happen to me again. Everytime I look at my XD-40, I can still see it going off in my hand. A horrible moment that will stay with me forever.

Can't say enough about the kind words and support you guys have given me here. The stories some have shared have really been an encouragement to me. As stupid as what I did was, I'm seeing that I'll be able to put it behind me, and move on.

Thanks, everybody.

Can't say enough about the kind words and support you guys have given me here. The stories some have shared have really been an encouragement to me. As stupid as what I did was, I'm seeing that I'll be able to put it behind me, and move on.
    Please do not feel that you are alone or stupid in your actions. It is much more common than anyone wants to admit and I am sure that you will move on after having learned the hard way. I was told yesterday of a local man that had his gun in his back pocket along with a wrench. He was a mechanic. He stooped down to check the air in a car tire and the wrench caught the trigger of his gun causing it to fire. The bullet went through his buttock, thigh and into his ankle. So you are not alone. BTW it was not a Glock but did not have a safety.

I don't remember if I have replied. I will say since reading it a few days ago, I have been praying for you, (I am spiritual). It sounds like you are healing well. I also would NEVER give you a lecture or come down hard on you. It was an accident and you both learned from it and taught us from it. This whole post serves a s clear reminder that we all need to treat all guns as loaded all the time. I hope you don't stay shell shocked. It is understandable and I would be as well, actually my gun-hating wife would take the opportunity to try to make me sell my gun's. Keep healing and thanks for teaching us all how it can happen. I'll bet you never shoot yourself again. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by pungunsun View Post
    Had an "accidental" discharge a couple years ago. I was lowering the hammer on an SA/DA .45, when the hammer slipped out of my fingers and fired off the chambered cartridge. First thing I did was try to figure out what I had done wrong. The second thing I did was put the safety back on to this reloaded pistol.

I hollered down (I was on the second floor) to make sure the wife and dogs were okay.

I unloaded the gun and tried to figure what it was I had done. The web of my left hand was bloodied a bit where the sights had raked across it. I had been pointing the gun down and to my left and have yet to find the exit wound in the floor. I realized then that the (slightly-oiled) hammer had slipped out of my left forefinger and thumb.

I quit with keeping one in the chamber.

Now (on SA/DA) guns, I keep the gun cocked (to reduce the load effort) and keep the chamber empty.

If I need to use it so fast that I need to have one in the chamber, chances are I'm not going to get much of shot off anyways.
    Sounds like a decocker would have prevented the "accident".
    Billy

Your information and photos are a good reminder to any/all folks who carry or handle guns, you most likely will/have saved a life by posting your accident. Well done I have your original post in my gun safe and reloading bench.

Do you know how high the medical bills are going to be and do you have any insurance that will cover the bills? Shooting yourself might not be the worst part of the ordeal. Thanks for telling your story. We can all learn a lesson from it.

8. thanks for sharing this. i know someone who died from nd. he hadnt heard such tales. thanks for letting your concern for others overrule embarrassment.

Sorry to hear what happened. I hope you recover quickly!

I think this may be an important time to remind everyone of the NRA Safety rules:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

NRA Gun Safety Rules
    Ohio Concealed Carry Institute (click Link)
    N.R.A. Pistol Instructors & Range Safety Officers
    Like Us on Facebook (click Link)

Quote Originally Posted by eXGee11 View Post
    thanks for sharing this. i know someone who died from nd. he hadnt heard such tales. thanks for letting your concern for others overrule embarrassment.
    I have had three different friends that have died from ND's. One was about 12 when his father was playing with his .22 pistol and shot him. He dies almost immediately In another case my classmate while hunting laid his shotgun against a fence and tried to climb across the fence. He was a junior in high school. The third one shot himself while climbing down from a deer stand. He was in his 40's, owned a hunting and fishing supply store and was well aware of safe gun handling rules.

11. Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Simply put “Negligent Discharge” Guns just don’t discharge by themselves.. Lean how to use it and be save.
    You're right!

Yes, even though I have successfully diagnosed what I did wrong - and developed a practice to NOT have it happen in the future - you come along and tell me what I already know.

You are one great guy!

What else is great is that this forum traffic reminds me why it's never a good practice to share what happens in my life with strangers.

No problem. It won't happen again, either one.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast