I Shot Myself Yesterday - Page 3
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Shot Myself Yesterday

Along this same line: never trust the safety on a weapon, and always make sure two or three times if necessary that the weapon is indeed empty. The best safety is keeping your finger off the trigger. Thanks for sharing an important lesson.

Thank you for sharing this. I am so sorry that this happened to you and I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Heal quickly. We can't afford to lose ANY gun supporters.

Glad you didn't die.

Appreciate the real-life reminder to always treat a weapon as loaded and pointed in a safe direction. Takes a mighty big person to tell a story like that and admit what you did wrong in front of this crowd. Thanks for sharing and hope your recovery is rapid.

I am a little curious though about how you were holding the '40 in such a way that you managed to shoot yourself in the weak hand and your leg. Was it a ricochet round inside the vehicle? Or were you holding it in your lap with your weak hand in front of the muzzle when you pulled the trigger or what? I can't visualize how you pulled this off.

And as was already pointed out, if you racked the slide and subsequently fed a fresh cartridge, you clearly hadn't released the magazine yet. The sequencing of that part of the narrative appears to be off a bit.

3X PM

No castigations, just thanks for making everyone aware of what can happen to any of us.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    I am a little curious though about how you were holding the '40 in such a way that you managed to shoot yourself in the weak hand and your leg. Was it a ricochet round inside the vehicle? Or were you holding it in your lap with your weak hand in front of the muzzle when you pulled the trigger or what? I can't visualize how you pulled this off.

And as was already pointed out, if you racked the slide and subsequently fed a fresh cartridge, you clearly hadn't released the magazine yet. The sequencing of that part of the narrative appears to be off a bit.
    You're right, the cops were puzzled by this too. I saw the hole it made entering the inside of the door, about 2 inches below the window. Best guess that it ricocheted off of something inside the door, and came back out. Quite an unusual path to take, even allowing for my foot being back, bringing the knee up.

And after thinking about it, I've come to believe that I must have stupidly forgot to make sure the magazine was out.

Unbelieveable moment.

8. I've just posted a few pics of my injuries on my profile.

Man, I am sorry this happened to you! I have an XD myself and I guess what happened to you is probably the exact reason they changed the XDM to NOT require the trigger pull for dissassembly anymore.

Hope you will be okay!

@ FN1910
    I find your comment "Any gun owner who has never had a ND just hasn't played with guns enough and any gun shop that doesn't have a bullet hole in the wall hasn't been in business very long." very troubling. It's similar to "every experienced SCUBA diver has had the bends". Both statements excuse stupidity because the person in question has many years of experience. In SCUBA; diving injuries occur with either the new diver (inexperience, poor judgement, stupidity) or the very experienced (cockiness, sense of invulnerability, hubris, and stupidity). Seems there are parallels between SCUBA and firearms, and dismissing NDs due to experience is inexcusable.
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

Glad your injuries are not any worse. Just goes to show that you can never be too safe. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast