I Shot Myself Yesterday - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I Shot Myself Yesterday

1. Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Are you new to firearms and/or CC or just the weapon in question?

Are the LEOs considering any charges?

Who took the pics? Wifee? Do we even want to know her opinion on your future carry status?

Just curious, since most news reports of NDs involve hand injury, is it possible you shot your hand prior to a ricochet? Where was your hand in relation to the weapon? Why was it there? Looking at those leg pics, I'm pretty sure that was not a ricochet.

I know a guy that was in a struggle with an armed perp, he inadvertently DCed his own 9mm into his thigh near the femoral artery with a Glaser Safety Slug. Nasty wound and lucky to survive. Your wound looks pretty good all in all. Relatively lucky I must say!

Was the vehicle door open? How did the weapon end up in the parking lot? What kind of parking lot where you in? Consider the implications of having a disassembled firearm in a parking lot when you get attacked or some kid walks up to you. Keep it holstered when you're out and about.

Actually, I am new to firearms. Never fired a pistol till about 6 months ago. Been spending alot of time on these forums, trying to soak up info. I guess I have a ways to go. I've had an XD-9 for about two months, the XD-40 I shot myself with about two weeks.

No, the LEO's are not considering any charges. Cops were very clear that I wasn't in any trouble, they just needed the story.

Wife took the pictures. No excessive freak-out on her part, still planning on taking her CHL course April 30. She figures I've learned my lesson. Taught her something, too.

It had to be a ricochet. I had my eyes on the gun when it happened, my hand was in front of the barrel, it was the first thing hit. Saw the hole where it went in the door, a ricochet out is the only possibility. I agree, strange path, though.

The door was not open, but the window was. Either the gun somehow recoiled out the window, or I tossed it out. Don't know for sure.

I will never again disassemble a weapon unless I'm set up for a formal cleaning session.

Can't believe I came so close to killing myself over something so stupid.

thank you for sharing with us.
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

4. not to sound like an ass and i did not read anything other than the OP so i dont know if its been addressed yet....but you said and i quote:

I dropped the mag, failed to clear the chamber. STUPID! Racked the slide, pulled the trigger to release it. BOOM!

how did you lock the slide back to rotate the takedown lever without the gun ejecting the round in the chamber? this happens frequently with glocks because you dont have to lock the slide back to work hte takedown levers but XD design forces you to lock the slide back to help prevent these kinds of accidents. and you said you dropped the mag so that eliminates the possibility of it being a second round chambered from the mag.

sounds like shennanigans to me.

5. Quote Originally Posted by double.tap View Post
    not to sound like an ass and i did not read anything other than the OP so i dont know if its been addressed yet....but you said and i quote:

I dropped the mag, failed to clear the chamber. STUPID! Racked the slide, pulled the trigger to release it. BOOM!

how did you lock the slide back to rotate the takedown lever without the gun ejecting the round in the chamber? this happens frequently with glocks because you dont have to lock the slide back to work hte takedown levers but XD design forces you to lock the slide back to help prevent these kinds of accidents. and you said you dropped the mag so that eliminates the possibility of it being a second round chambered from the mag.

sounds like shennanigans to me.
    Let’s not be too hard on the man I am sure he is feeling quit stupid by now. This was by no means an AD or accidental Discharge. It was a negligent Discharge ND. We all have the responsibility to keep any item which my harm someone else under control. I am sure we all have done dumbass things in our lives and are fortunate to tell about them.

Bill
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Quote Originally Posted by wooddoctor View Post
    Let’s not be too hard on the man I am sure he is feeling quit stupid by now. This was by no means an AD or accidental Discharge. It was a negligent Discharge ND. We all have the responsibility to keep any item which my harm someone else under control. I am sure we all have done dumbass things in our lives and are fortunate to tell about them.

Bill
    +1

I don't think that the OP has tried to claim that it was anything other than a ND. I as sure he has learned from it and I hope all of us have also learned from his misfortune. Time to move on and quit trying to find things to complain about.

Man, it takes a LOT of courage to post this story. I hope your recovery goes well. It's a shame, but that's the way life is, the hard lessons teach us the most. Take care of yourself, consider what you have learned from this and move forward. Best wishes.
    MR

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mosbyranger View Post
    Man, it takes a LOT of courage to post this story. I hope your recovery goes well. It's a shame, but that's the way life is, the hard lessons teach us the most. Take care of yourself, consider what you have learned from this and move forward. Best wishes.
    MR
    Thank you. I struggle constantly against sinking into despair and depression. This has caused so many consequences and complications for us financially, and regarding our move to Houston.

My wife has been a hero in all this, but she's having to deal with so much because of my stupidity.

Am so anxious to look for work in Houston, so I can start putting the pieces back togather, and making it up to my wife. But I still have a hole in my hand from surgery Tuesday, and they have to see me every day. Until that changes, I'm stuck here, useless.

It was so stupid.

9. Hang in there buddy, I will never forget the time i chewed up my finger tips in my left hand with a 3/4 inch router bit on christmas eve many years ago. I am much wiser now....i make sure all tools are unplugged before handling tools that will remove body parts. I also shot myself with a nail gun but that is a story for another time. Wishing you all the best, sincerely, Bill
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Keep your head up, could have been worse. Heres a pic of glock leg (not mine). I hope your recovery is fast.
    Let's Be Careful Out There (NSFW)
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

11. Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    Keep your head up, could have been worse. Heres a pic of glock leg (not mine). I hope your recovery is fast.
    Let's Be Careful Out There (NSFW)
    Makes you think twice. I carry a 229 and always check the hammer position before sticking down my pants. It also has a red dot showing if bullet is chambered.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast