I Shot Myself Yesterday - Page 7
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: I Shot Myself Yesterday

It's not really funny, but I had to laugh. I'm glad you're OK, and also glad that you had to learn the hard way. Now you'll never make that mistake again. Lesson learned !
    Your story reminds me of another similar story from a couple years back that included a pic. I'll share it with you :

3. Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Bob: Lighten up cupcake. The fellow made a mistake and has owned up to it. Even licensed people can make mistakes so why keep on digging at him? I am sure he is not the only person to have an incident like this and will not be the last. Who knows, you could be next or any number of people. You have received a free lesson from him. Take it to heart and get off your high horse!
    Badass bob38 stills wears diapers and mommy still changes his diapers. What he does not understand is that we all make dumbass mistakes and hopefully learn from them. This young whipper snapper has no experience and wishes to be an ******* at this time….so be it….hopefully he will be safe and do the right things.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

4. Hard Lesson

Derby, an AD is when a gun goes off by itself. Very rare. Everything else is a ND. If someone is holding the gun when it goes off unintentionally, its a ND. Downplaying it to UD is a mistake, IMO.
    Fred, if we're still talking about our instructor, we're a newbie. You are correct, of course, but you'd be better served to save the sanctimony until you've got a little gray hair. By then you'll know better.
    WGungho: so right. Live snakes. I've never heard a better metaphor. And thank you, very much, for your service. I'll bet you have some wild stories, if you wanted to tell them.
    OldGrunt: Very good point. Take car accidents. Most are the result of just a moment of inattention. Nearly everyone is guilty of moments of inattention; we just don't usually have an accident every time. Yes, it could happen to anyone. Me, I hope to live my whole life and still not have my first ND.
    To the OP: 1. hard lesson learned the hard way. Glad you will recover. I'll bet it never happens to you again, or even to anyone around you. 2. To the list everyone has preached, i'd add: anytime you pick up a weapon, even if you had just set it down, even if its still in your holster, check the chamber, cylinder/magazine, hammer and safety condition. 3. In case it needs repeating, playing with your gun is always a bad idea. Practicing properly with your gun is always a good idea. Do you have some snap-caps? 4. It took real courage to post this experience honestly and continue to engage as people respond. Fortunately most of us realize we aren't perfect either. Get better and get back on the horse. And practice.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants ... for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

5. The worst punishment is what we do to ourselveves. This man had the testicles to share and remind us all that we all can be a dumbass. that is why I own a sig 229. Sorry Glock heads I like the decocking feature on the sigs.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

I suspect that "cleaning his gun" is a poor excuse used in lieu of; playing with the gun while showing it off.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    This is a story that fits right in with this thread but with a twist. It happened in Scotland rather than the US and a 18 year old kill his 16 year old girlfriend while cleaning his gun and then kills himself. Why do people continuely try to clean loaded guns? It really isn't very hard to unload one before you try to clean it and makes the job much easier.

Teen kills self after accidentally shooting girlfriend - World news - Europe - msnbc.com
    Beware the Fury of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by roguejesse View Post
    I suspect that "cleaning his gun" is a poor excuse used in lieu of; playing with the gun while showing it off.
    I have come to the conclusion that "cleaning my gun" covers any actions involving a gun being fired unintentionally in a home. For instance we were demonstrating how Russian Roulette is played when the gun went off accidently and there were no cleaning supplies anywhere around but I told the police that I was cleaning it since it had not been cleaned in at least six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Daugherty16;195599.....[B
    Fred[/B], if we're still talking about our instructor, we're a newbie. You are correct, of course, but you'd be better served to save the sanctimony until you've got a little gray hair. By then you'll know better.
    This is the only thing I might disagree on. Many people continue to take gun classes after they get their permit. Or have to take refresher classes for renewals. Even instructors in advanced classes will stress gun safety at the beginning of classes.

Quote Originally Posted by roguejesse View Post
    1. The gun is always concidered loaded unless double checked and found to be empty.
    2. No ammo allowed near where cleaning a gun.
    3. See rule 1.

Wow

Sorry to hear about your pain.

Hope you heal quickly.

I appreciate everyones input, I've been in the Coast Guard 29 1/2 years and have carried weapons for work and play.

I bought my XDm .45 and have my Kimber 1911 retired to my gun safe. I holster and unholster often during the day. I carry condition one Concealed carry.

One of the earlier posters mentioned how clothing might get hung up on the XDm's safe trigger causing an unintentional discharge.

I don't need a leg wound like that and will be putting my eye on the holster each and every time now to ensure clothing is clear. I felt I was as safe as they come but have to admit I'm much more aware now.

Thanks for posting and everyones comments and observations.

Chap
    Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP, 3" barrel 1911 with a Mitch Rosen holster
    XDm .45 ACP 02FEB11
    Ruger LCP .380 05FEB11

I'm glad you survived and I take my hat off to you for being honest on how it accured. I've been around and handled guns for over 40+ yrs so always be careful while handling them. I've lost several friends over the years that didn't survive. Hope you have a quick recovery.
    NRA Life Memeber, GOA, CCRKBA, SAF, OPHA, OFBA, FTA

Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast