I Shot Myself Yesterday - Page 8
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I Shot Myself Yesterday

OP thank you for having the balls to AAR your situation. I hate it when life gives us lemons like this, but you survived and hopefully you will be up on your feet and working soon.

There have been several posts in this thread alluding to something that I had not really thought about before but is worth considering. For lack of a better term or discription it seems that before Glock handguns either were revolvers or had some kind of manual safety. Glock introduced the safe trigger and I have heard so much about how it will not go off unless you pull the trigger. Now there are quite a few manufactures making guns without any kind of manual safety and it seems that for some people the fact that a gun has a safety on it turns them away from it. I am not going to check but I believe that the XD now comes in a version that has a safety but all other functions are the same. I have heard some say that they are not going to get one because they don't want to worry with a safety and it is dumb to have one. Now if all other functions are the same then leave the safety off, you don't have to use it.

But to get to my point it seems that I am starting to hear more and more about Glocks (maybe others also) being fired by something getting caught in the trigger when reholstering it. Did this happen with revolvers or was the trigger pull enought to prevent it? Are people getting to complacent on reholstering and causing it to happen? Is the safe trigger really safe? Are other factors coming into play or is it just that we hear about it now with the 24 hour news media. Are we sometimes brainwashed by hype over something into believing that since they said it was so then it must be. Some of these stories show that your finger does not necessarily have to be on the trigger for you gun to fire so take the extra second to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by double.tap View Post
    i was never hard on him. i stated that from where i sit, the story doesnt add up (and im not the first person who noticed the glitches in the timeline). Now that i looked back i see someone on the first page also asked how there could have been a round in the chamber if he dropped the mag and racked the slide, OP backed up and said he must have forgot to drop the mag. i still dont buy the story, i have seen more than one story like this posted and 90% of the time they turn out to be false (and mostly glock guys posting fake stuff on the XD forum trying to tell us how unsafe these guns are). your more than welcome to believe what you want to believe.

pictures and/or a police report/medical report and ill apolagize for asking questions. and if the story is true, lesson learned and glad there are no serious injuries and sorry for doubting u.

and he said he shot himself thursday at 4:30pm, friday morning at 8:30am he is posting the story from home? where he is walking around on a leg full of hollow point shrapnel? hollow point shrapnel from a round that never hit bone?

last guy i saw that was shot, his roommate plugged him in the back right of his arm. he was hospitalized for a lot longer than 12~ hours. ive heard of speedy recoveries but wow.
    Don't most semi-autos use the magazine as a "floor" for the round coming out of the chamber so it hits the ejector and doesn't fall out the bottom? I have had several automatics that when I hand-eject a round with no magazine the round goes out the magazine well. If he was holding the gun at a wierd angle (possible if he was trying to keep everyone from seeing what he was doing) and didn't get a full rack of the slide, combined with the extra length and weight of a loaded round I can see how the round MIGHT wind up re-chambering. It would be a 1 in a million shot but I wouldn't call it impossible. This is why when I clear one, I open the slide, look down into the chamber itself and actually stick my finger in there to make d#mn sure no round is there.

Quote Originally Posted by badbob38 View Post
    You make all gun owners look bad. How did you ever get a CCW. You need to find something else to play with and leave the gun at home. In real you would shoot again trying to get it out(and piss your pants)
    No worse than you just did.

This post is an epic fail.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    There have been several posts in this thread alluding to something that I had not really thought about before but is worth considering. For lack of a better term or discription it seems that before Glock handguns either were revolvers or had some kind of manual safety. Glock introduced the safe trigger and I have heard so much about how it will not go off unless you pull the trigger. Now there are quite a few manufactures making guns without any kind of manual safety and it seems that for some people the fact that a gun has a safety on it turns them away from it. I am not going to check but I believe that the XD now comes in a version that has a safety but all other functions are the same. I have heard some say that they are not going to get one because they don't want to worry with a safety and it is dumb to have one. Now if all other functions are the same then leave the safety off, you don't have to use it.

But to get to my point it seems that I am starting to hear more and more about Glocks (maybe others also) being fired by something getting caught in the trigger when reholstering it. Did this happen with revolvers or was the trigger pull enought to prevent it? Are people getting to complacent on reholstering and causing it to happen? Is the safe trigger really safe? Are other factors coming into play or is it just that we hear about it now with the 24 hour news media. Are we sometimes brainwashed by hype over something into believing that since they said it was so then it must be. Some of these stories show that your finger does not necessarily have to be on the trigger for you gun to fire so take the extra second to be safe.
    Kahr has a version of the PM9 with a safety as well (though I haven't seen one and I don't know that they sell many outside of Massachusetts). My problem with it is that the safety goes the wrong way (down for safe, up for fire). It's an un-natural motion for a frame-mounted safety. It wasn't available when I bought mine.

I had a bent case primed. Threw it in the fire. When it went off, the primer punctured my calf with a perfectly round hole. It lodged under the skin on the other side. I had not idea a primer was so powerful. Since my wife is a nurse who works for the surgeon on call at the emergency room, there was not way I could get away without her knowing. She summed up my behavior with one comment...... "Assh$ole!"

I find if we go to fast..that's when ACCIDENTS happen! I almost had an AD not too long ago! I recently made a trip where I was legal to carry and right before a state where I wasn't legal anymore I parked in a parking lot early in the morning to clear my weapons and lock them up.I backed up my vehicle and was going a little too fast clearing them..had a revolved and 2 pistols! I cleared the revolver and pistol I was carrying and then I went to clear the other pistol and forgot to drop the magazine first which I normally always due..anyway I'm watching the first round eject and then the second one and that's when I realized that I didn't drop the mag..I almost pulled the trigger out of habit! Luckily I caught it and will NEVER go too fast or be cocky with a weapon again!

Like FN1910 stated about everyone turning to the trigger safety, I feel that it is not as safe as everyone makes it out to be. When I bought my M&P40 I got the one with the frame safety on it. When I came into the shop to pick it up, ( yes it had to be special ordered) the owner opened the box and call everyone in the shop over to look at it. He also stated " I can tell you i have had a dozens of M&P's sold in my shop and this is the first one I have ever seen with a frame safety!"

Daugherty16
    I have learned that education is a life long endeavor. My last instructor was for the Utah, Florida, Oregon CCP and CWP class. Reviewing the basics for all in the class, as I was also in my respectful comments.
    I have more gray hair than brown, and have carried concealed for longer than 20 years without a ND. Thankfully, I have never been required to defend myself with my weapon either. I am vigilant and aware of my surroundings.
    As with any martial arts discipline, Firearms practice with attention to detail and the basics continues.
    I thought this was a discussion board, I didn't post to thump my chest. Only to share information. Not everyone knows it all, certainly not me.
    Respectfully,
    Fred

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight. ...I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

"Every time I teach a class, I discover I don't know something."

Above are quotes from Clint Smith, President and Director of Thunder Ranch

"From his weapons on the open road
    no man should step one pace away;
    you don't know for certain when you're out on the road
    when you might have need of your spear
    - Havamal (a viking age collection of common sense)

"It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn." --George Washington

"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. I ask this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior. Amen."

Sorry this happend. Glad you are OK.

This story stands a a real life reminder that it can happen.

Thanks for sharing.

Semper Fi,

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast