I Shot Myself Yesterday - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I Shot Myself Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Bob: Lighten up cupcake. The fellow made a mistake and has owned up to it. Even licensed people can make mistakes so why keep on digging at him? I am sure he is not the only person to have an incident like this and will not be the last. Who knows, you could be next or any number of people. You have received a free lesson from him. Take it to heart and get off your high horse!
    I agree with your sentiments..... except.... I get the feeling that "everyone" has an AD or ND in their "career" and this is tacitly understood. I believe this is one of the places where "zero tolerance" makes some sence. Some 400-500 (IIRC) people are shot every year due to AC/NC. THAT is WAY too high, IMHO.

I treat AD/ND just like "automobile accidents", with rare exception, there is NO "accident".... just someone doing something incredably stupid behind the wheel of a car. My primary concern is that they don't do so and take me with them when they screw up. Same with AD/ND with firearms.

These kind of "incidents" are the type that the anti-gun nuts make the most milage out of.... worse for us because there IS no defense nor excuse. Best for all of us that safety is ALWAYS the first priority.

Still, welcome to the world of hard knocks, incidents and truths. Glad you survived it. I've seen worse.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

3. Quote Originally Posted by HOTCHKIS View Post
    I find if we go to fast..that's when ACCIDENTS happen! I almost had an AD not too long ago! I recently made a trip where I was legal to carry and right before a state where I wasn't legal anymore I parked in a parking lot early in the morning to clear my weapons and lock them up.I backed up my vehicle and was going a little too fast clearing them..had a revolved and 2 pistols! I cleared the revolver and pistol I was carrying and then I went to clear the other pistol and forgot to drop the magazine first which I normally always due..anyway I'm watching the first round eject and then the second one and that's when I realized that I didn't drop the mag..I almost pulled the trigger out of habit! Luckily I caught it and will NEVER go too fast or be cocky with a weapon again!
    In retrospect, I think forgetting to drop the mag is what I did.

When that gun went off...The words don't exist to describe the horror of that moment. And living everyday knowing it was so unnecessary, so stupid...I shouldn't even have had it with me.

The "For Sale" sign goes in front of our house today. We've painted this entire house, shampoed carpets, replaced light fixtures...realtor thinks it should sell quickly. It may turn out that as soon as I'm able to work, it'll be time to clear out the house and I can go ahead and move into our new home in Houston, get a job, and wait for the family to join me when school's out.

I'm really glad that we were already moving. Air Conditioning service community in Amarillo is quite small, and every supply house and A/C company in this town knows what happened to me. I'm actually glad to get out of this town and make a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    A great reminder for all of us. It takes just one minor lapse. Glad to hear you are alright. Thanks for the post
    It's certainly not my intent to make the OP feel worse than he already does, because he obviously recognizes his mistakes and has learned from them. In fact, major props to him for posting his story for us to learn from too... that takes some major courage!

But, I had to respond to this post above, because it seems that some have not learned as much from this story as others. This wasn't ONE minor lapse in judgment! First, no judgment is minor in the case of firearms, and second, the OP shouldn't have been playing with the gun (and certainly not in such a location), he failed to clear the weapon properly, he failed to check it, and failed to check it again, he failed to point it in a safe direction while pulling the trigger, and he should have called 911 and waited for an ambulance. Obviously some of those steps are interconnected, but redundant safety steps are there for a reason

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Glad to hear that youre alright. A statistic somewhere (friend at work) says that on average, each pistol owner will have at least 1 ND in their lifetime...
    Sounds like BS to me! I don't buy it, nor do I accept it. Not only does that downplay the responsibility that each one of us has to prevent avoidable pain and violence with out handgun, but how does that attitude look to the anti-gun movement??? If you can show me any kind of legitimate study on the matter, I would be happy to read it, but I highly doubt that each one of the ~50,000,000 American households that own a gun are going to have an ND in the next 75 years (average sample lifespan)... that's 1,826 ND's per day! How many do you hear about through the anti-gun liberal media?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    There are so many things to harp on in the OP that I won't even start. I am just glad that you are alive to tell your story of stupidity so we all can learn from it. For all of you (us) out there claiming that it can't happen to me it can and probably will. The whole argument over AD vs. ND doesn't mean a thing to someone in a grave and is just symantics although it does make good Internet fodder. As pointed out the OP will have a permanent reminder of the rules of gun safety but not all of us have a similar reminder and I do not want one. Any gun owner who has never had a ND just hasn't played with guns enough and any gun shop that doesn't have a bullet hole in the wall hasn't been in business very long. Dangit there aren't but four rules that you have to follow for gun safety so anyone should be able to remember and follow them. However there is one more rule that we can throw in there for good measure, "Don't ever PLAY with guns" unless they are made by Mattel or some other toy company.
    Same comment as above, except I wanted to point out your contradiction ;)

Billy

There have been several posts in this thread alluding to something that I had not really thought about before but is worth considering. For lack of a better term or discription it seems that before Glock handguns either were revolvers or had some kind of manual safety. Glock introduced the safe trigger and I have heard so much about how it will not go off unless you pull the trigger. Now there are quite a few manufactures making guns without any kind of manual safety and it seems that for some people the fact that a gun has a safety on it turns them away from it. I am not going to check but I believe that the XD now comes in a version that has a safety but all other functions are the same. I have heard some say that they are not going to get one because they don't want to worry with a safety and it is dumb to have one. Now if all other functions are the same then leave the safety off, you don't have to use it.

But to get to my point it seems that I am starting to hear more and more about Glocks (maybe others also) being fired by something getting caught in the trigger when reholstering it. Did this happen with revolvers or was the trigger pull enought to prevent it? Are people getting to complacent on reholstering and causing it to happen? Is the safe trigger really safe? Are other factors coming into play or is it just that we hear about it now with the 24 hour news media. Are we sometimes brainwashed by hype over something into believing that since they said it was so then it must be. Some of these stories show that your finger does not necessarily have to be on the trigger for you gun to fire so take the extra second to be safe.
    I am the safety on my carry weapon (Beretta Px4 Storm Type G). I found, in training, I was decocking and then leaving the safety on by mistake, which was a problem the next time I drew the gun, so I removed the safety for a decocker-only. I keep my finger off the trigger when I'm not intending to fire the gun, my holster covers the trigger completely, and I keep my thumb on the hammer when I'm holstering (you can easily hold the hammer down with your thumb, even if you're pulling hard on the trigger, at least on my gun).
    Billy

Just about any driver can say that at one time in their life that they had never had an accident or ticket. (I really can't say that as I had my first automobile accident at the age of 2 when I got in the car and drove it onto the woodpile.) Does that mean that they never will have one? No it doesn't neither does it mean they can be lax about safety.
    Auto accidents are a bad comparison because they often involve other drivers, whereas, if somebody else's gun goes off without his intent, it's not my ND, it's HIS.
    Billy

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFreak View Post
    Auto accidents are a bad comparison because they often involve other drivers, whereas, if somebody else's gun goes off without his intent, it's not my ND, it's HIS.
    Billy
    No matter who is at fault the odds of a driver being involved in an accident sometime in their lifetime are very good. Most accidents involve actually involve negligence on both parties. At the company I used to work with every person in a traffic accident had to go before the Safety Review Committee. You were either found negligent or the accident unavoidable on your part. Unaviodable meant that you did everything reasonable to avoid it that you could. It was then written up in the monthly safety bulletin including what you failed to take into account. There were very few unavoidable ones but thankfully the one I had was ruled that way. I was sitting at a red light when I was hit from behind. Actually I could have avoided it, and started to, by running the red light but traffic was already starting to cross.

A good many ND's with guns involve more than one person, in fact a lot of them do. Thankfully with most ND's no one gets hurt and you don't hear about it until someone admits it but none of this allows anyone to compromise safety for any reason. That includes automobiles as well as guns. At 60 MPH you travel 8.8 feet in 1/10th of a second. That means you have exceeded the 21 foot rule in 3/10th's of a second. A bullet can travel 1,000' in that same length of time so a lot can happen in just three-tenths of a second.

I am the safety on my carry weapon (Beretta Px4 Storm Type G). I found, in training, I was decocking and then leaving the safety on by mistake, which was a problem the next time I drew the gun, so I removed the safety for a decocker-only. I keep my finger off the trigger when I'm not intending to fire the gun, my holster covers the trigger completely, and I keep my thumb on the hammer when I'm holstering (you can easily hold the hammer down with your thumb, even if you're pulling hard on the trigger, at least on my gun).
    Billy
    As long as you keep reminding yourself that and keep doing it you are good to go. With Glocks or any other gun the same thing applies. As long as you keep your shirt or jacket ties etc. out of the trigger guard there isn't a problem with any of them. Seldom is the problem with the gun, it is the one holding the gun that forgets. If we could all be programmed like Data on Star Trek then we wouldn't forget to check. Most people say that you should carry a 1911 cocked and loaded with the safety on. If we can depend on the person to be safe then why use the safety or in your case why use the decocker?

As long as you keep reminding yourself that and keep doing it you are good to go. With Glocks or any other gun the same thing applies. As long as you keep your shirt or jacket ties etc. out of the trigger guard there isn't a problem with any of them. Seldom is the problem with the gun, it is the one holding the gun that forgets. If we could all be programmed like Data on Star Trek then we wouldn't forget to check. Most people say that you should carry a 1911 cocked and loaded with the safety on. If we can depend on the person to be safe then why use the safety or in your case why use the decocker?
    I'm not sure what you mean (in bold)... I use the decocker because it is, by far, the safest way of dropping the hammer.
    Billy

I'm not sure what you mean (in bold)... I use the decocker because it is, by far, the safest way of dropping the hammer.
    Billy
    Why drop the hammer? I know it is a dumb question but if we totally depend on ourselves to be the safety then there is no need for decockers, frame safeties, grip safeties or safe triggers. We claim that we are the safety but we need help.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast