Philadelphia to pay $1.2 million for police shooting of unarmed man
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Philadelphia to pay $1.2 million for police shooting of unarmed man

  1. #1

    Philadelphia to pay $1.2 million for police shooting of unarmed man

    The mother and brother of an Overbrook man shot and killed by police while escorting his nephew home on New Year's 2007 will receive a $1.2 million settlement from the city

    In 2009, about 220 lawsuits and complaints about police conduct were resolved for payments ranging from $690 to $750,000. One payment of $1.7 million was made in 2004 for false arrest.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,004
    Read the article. Wrongful death, no doubt. Terrible tragedy. Hind sight being 20/20 one could armchair the whole bad situation. But as far as Mom and Brother, it was always about the money.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Read the article. Wrongful death, no doubt. Terrible tragedy. Hind sight being 20/20 one could armchair the whole bad situation. But as far as Mom and Brother, it was always about the money.
    What's your alternative? Taliban style "justice" wherein the family gets a crack at the cop?

    A cop shoots the wrong person, then apparently LIES about it and you attack the victim's family?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    TN, the patron state of shootin stuff
    Posts
    1,399
    I think they should have received more and the cop should be fired for lying. The other cops should step forward and have liars like this guy removed. When they don't it makes them all look bad.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    I wonder if they'll start letting us trade criminal charges for civil judgments? Wouldn't that be neat?


    Should have taken them to the criminal trial. I would have if they had killed my father, even if it took the rest of my life.
    They could have gotten both though, but they just had to get that money.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

    I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    I wonder if they'll start letting us trade criminal charges for civil judgments? Wouldn't that be neat?


    Should have taken them to the criminal trial. I would have if they had killed my father, even if it took the rest of my life.
    They could have gotten both though, but they just had to get that money.
    Philly isn't Kentucky.

    I'm from Chicago. There are places like Chicago and Philadelphia where if you are unlawfully maimed or murdered by the police, your ONLY recourse is civil suit. Except under only the MOST extreme circumstances, the police will NEVER be criminally prosecuted for something which would get you the death penalty.

    It's sue or NOTHING.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    What's your alternative? Taliban style "justice" wherein the family gets a crack at the cop?

    A cop shoots the wrong person, then apparently LIES about it and you attack the victim's family?
    @Deanimator.. You trying to tell me the first thing out of ANY relatives mouth wouldn't be "They're gonna PAY for this!"? Your sure not going to tell me, in that situation, anyone would be looking at the tragedy an say "Oh my! We must seek justice through our wonderful court system." Horse Squeeze! After the dust settled and the immediate grief subsided, the first thing they thought about was revenge, against the cop, against the city and against the system. And the biggest and baddest way to do that is to squeeze the pocket book of the offending party. It's just human nature.

    As far as attacking the family? Wrong again bucko! If I was attacking them my comments would be very much more demeaning.

    If I was in her shoes, there would be no way I would settle for a measly 1.2 mill. That's the judicial system putting a dollar value on the life of a human being. And If "it's not about the money" then where is the end quote for Mom telling us how all the money went to a charity or something in her sons name. Bet ya momma has a nice new car with "In memory of..." on the back window.

    Yea. It all about the money.
    Last edited by walt629; 04-10-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spell check

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,519
    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    @Deanimator.. You trying to tell me the first thing out of ANY relatives mouth wouldn't be "They're gonna PAY for this!"? Your sure not going to tell me, in that situation, anyone would be looking at the tragedy an say "Oh my! We must seek justice through our wonderful court system." Horse Squeeze! After the dust settled and the immediate grief subsided, the first thing they thought about was revenge, against the cop, against the city and against the system. And the biggest and baddest way to do that is to squeeze the pocket book of the offending party. It's just human nature.

    As far as attacking the family? Wrong again bucko! If I was attacking them my comments would be very much more demeaning.

    If I was in her shoes, there would be no way I would settle for a measly 1.2 mill. That's the judicial system putting a dollar value on the life of a human being. And If "it's not about the money" then where is the end quote for Mom telling us how all the money went to a charity or something in her sons name. Bet ya momma has a nice new car with "In memory of..." on the back window.

    Yea. It all about the money.
    If it were my relative, I'd like to see the perpetrator do 10-20 years as some guys "prison wife".

    Unfortunately, as I noted in another post, that just ISN'T going to happen in Philly or Chicago. In Chicago, a cop can shoot a nonviolent, unarmed, not under arrest, not even detained, man in the face, ON VIDEO, and not even be ARRESTED.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    @Deanimator.. You trying to tell me the first thing out of ANY relatives mouth wouldn't be "They're gonna PAY for this!"? Your sure not going to tell me, in that situation, anyone would be looking at the tragedy an say "Oh my! We must seek justice through our wonderful court system." Horse Squeeze! After the dust settled and the immediate grief subsided, the first thing they thought about was revenge, against the cop, against the city and against the system. And the biggest and baddest way to do that is to squeeze the pocket book of the offending party. It's just human nature.

    As far as attacking the family? Wrong again bucko! If I was attacking them my comments would be very much more demeaning.

    If I was in her shoes, there would be no way I would settle for a measly 1.2 mill. That's the judicial system putting a dollar value on the life of a human being. And If "it's not about the money" then where is the end quote for Mom telling us how all the money went to a charity or something in her sons name. Bet ya momma has a nice new car with "In memory of..." on the back window.

    Yea. It all about the money.
    How so? The douchebag was cleared by the "system". He was not even pulled off the streets!

    If suing was the only way she could get just a little bit of justice THEN SO BE IT.

    Straw said that the city settled because the "facts in the case warranted it" and that had the city lost the case, its costs could have been higher
    That's code for We ******** up big time and covered it all up for one of our own. Should a jury see the facts we know we would be ******** BIG TIME. Be forced to pay out even more money to this family. So we paid the lady to go away!

    I wonder how long it took to sink in that he murdered a unarmed man in COLD BLOOD? Was it before or after all the Way to go,nice shooting tex,high fiving and ass grabbing in the locker room?

    Had this been a "sheep dog(can't say that with a straight face)" who shot a plain clothes officer, or hell even a off duty officer. While coming to the aid of someone screaming HELP.

    They would throw the book at him/her and lock them in and hole for the rest of their life. Paint them as a crazed cop killer in the news etc...

    But an officer shoots a unarmed man(with no record at all) and everything is swept under the rug. All he gets is more training!

    Ginsburg said he did not believe Szczepkowski's claim of seeing a gun. "Police always say that" when accused of improperly discharging their weapons, he said.
    A+++++ for the judge for being able to see through the officers line of BS.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  11. What's your alternative? Taliban style "justice" wherein the family gets a crack at the cop?
    Hmmm.... in cases like this, that does seem.... fair...

    I've been watching our society change (go down the drain) for some decades. Frankly, I think it won't be long before we do see some people begin to "strike back." Mentally/psychologically, the "atmosphere" is getting bad. Like Miners of old, we're going to start seeing the canaries keel over...
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast