1911 - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911

You forgot Singer, yes the same company that makes sewing machines. If you can get your hands on, you are extremely lucky as they are very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    You forgot Singer, yes the same company that makes sewing machines. If you can get your hands on, you are extremely lucky as they are very rare.
    I was only naming (to the best of my knowledge) current manufacturers. I'm sure I left some out and some of the ones I named are no longer making 1911s. Singer, like a lot of companies including Ingersoll-Rand and International Harvester, made guns for the military during WWII. One brand in particular (Remington-Rand I think) is in very high demand now. That part doesn't make much difference though because as I understand it the WWII guns were all made to the original 1911A1 specs. Now they make versions with all kinds of differences.

And having taken a sewing machine apart, I can tell you that any company that can make that mess work can probably make a pretty good firearm. The problem is that most people that have those know what they are worth and are pricing them accordingly.

4. Quote Originally Posted by redboneshadow View Post
    The 1911 is the safest firearm around. With 3 safety systems in place. That being said, when cocked and locked with one in the chamber it can be deployed quickly and efficiently. I carried one as an M.P. They are bulldogs and will hold up. I have a Kimber Gold Combat 2 and a Springfield TRP. If a BG does get your gun away from you, chances are they will not know how to fire it. Giving you a chance to pull your backup weapon and put the threat down. The .45 cal. provides the best tissue damage and bleed out chances. Put them down quick and permanently.
    Mechanical devices can and do fail. Sometimes what appears to be the safest firearm is the most dangerous.
    One must keep in mind that the 1911 is meant to be carried chambered, hammer locked fully rearward, and the manual safety engaged. Carrying chambered and hammer rearward is in and of itself a safety violation, technically.

The 1911 is a like it or hate it pistol. Once someone gives you the chance to fire one that fits your hand (and personna), you'll be in love with the 1911 for a long time. Remember one major rule with the 1911, once you start modding the pistol it doesn't stop. I've had 3 custom 1911's built over the years and I regret the builds as well as parting with each one.

Thus far, the one I miss the most was a 25 year old Springfield Milspec with a beautiful mirror black finish (blued over stainless and acid washed was how it was described to me). That pistol sat in someone's gun safe for almost 25 years. Of all of the 1911's I've had, that was the one I should have never parted with.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    BTW - calling a gun that has been in continual use for 100 years a "Delorean" doesn't give you any credibility with anyone here.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    This is true.

"I had a Springfield Armory 1911 that was an absolute heap of cr#p -the thing never would run right. I finally sold it at a loss."

Just curious, did you ever contact Springfield about the problems you were having? I have dealt with them a lot, both for my previous job since they provided us with almost every pistol platform they make for us to test our products on, as well as for my own personal use and they have always gone above and beyond to make things right.

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Lifer and Proud View Post
    "I had a Springfield Armory 1911 that was an absolute heap of cr#p -the thing never would run right. I finally sold it at a loss."

Just curious, did you ever contact Springfield about the problems you were having? I have dealt with them a lot, both for my previous job since they provided us with almost every pistol platform they make for us to test our products on, as well as for my own personal use and they have always gone above and beyond to make things right.
    I bought the thing used and when I called SA they said their warranty only covers the original owner. I wasn't impressed with the CSR I got but she was just kind of "helping out" and wasn't a full-time CSR. I have heard great things about their service and I didn't mention that experience to bash SA but more as to show that I am not biased. Add to this the fact I have a new baby and I don't get to shoot as much as I used to and I just decided to get rid of it.

Honestly that gun was a disappointment from the day I got it - rear sight wouldn't stay in the dovetail, the guide rod came apart a few times (it was a 2-piece FLGR), the cocking serations were nearly sharp enough to draw blood, it had the old grip profile and a smooth frontstrap so I couldn't hang on to it, I didn't like the sights and it wouldn't run right on the mags that came with it (which may or may not have been the ones that came with the gun new). To top it off I thought all SA were made in the US but then I found out it was made in Brazil. The thing that irritates me is that I could have had a brand-new one for less than $100 more but I decided to be cheap and stupid that day. We all make mistakes I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    I bought the thing used and when I called SA they said their warranty only covers the original owner.
    I moderate a 1911 discussions forum on another board, have for years and this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing, Springfield Armory in my experience is the 5 star model of customer service in the firearms industry.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    I moderate a 1911 discussions forum on another board, have for years and this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing, Springfield Armory in my experience is the 5 star model of customer service in the firearms industry.
    I don't know what to tell you - that's what I was told over the phone. I have no agenda against SA and I believe my pistol was just a lemon. Maybe they changed their practices. Besides, like I said the lady I talked to was just "helping out" that day and didn't really know anything so she could have made a mistake. I mentioned it on the SA forum of a 1911 board and was basically told I was being unreasonable for expecting them to service a weapon I didn't buy new.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123