Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911

Question 1911

i hear a lot of talk about the 1911 so what is so good about it ? what advanage does the 1911 have over other gun's ?
    Jerry

NRA Life Member

The 1911 is the safest firearm around. With 3 safety systems in place. That being said, when cocked and locked with one in the chamber it can be deployed quickly and efficiently. I carried one as an M.P. They are bulldogs and will hold up. I have a Kimber Gold Combat 2 and a Springfield TRP. If a BG does get your gun away from you, chances are they will not know how to fire it. Giving you a chance to pull your backup weapon and put the threat down. The .45 cal. provides the best tissue damage and bleed out chances. Put them down quick and permanently.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

4. I911s have the potential for a perfect trigger.

1911 .45 and the HI Power 9mm are two of the finest designs ( both Browning )... I love my Hi Power inspired CZ75 decocker.. I can say the CZ is nicely Balanced, very easy kick, nice tight grouping... I would love to have the knock down of the .45 in my 9mm.. Both designs have stood the test of history and time...

Many folks, including myself like the ergonomics of the platform as well as it being an inherently easy platform to shoot well.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Balance, weight, .45 horse power, an abundance of after market custom parts and accessories, a long history of meritorious service and it comes in damned near every flavor. What else is there?

It's a classic. It's so well proven that 100 years after it came out many people still depend on it. On a practical side, it's a 45 ACP which I probably don't need to explain much about and it's pretty accurate with a standard 5" barrel. It can be had very inexpensively or upgraded almost indefinetely to anybody's desire. It works as a carry gun (albeit a large one), can be fine tuned into a tack driver for the range or shot at competitions. There's just a lot you can do with this design.

And they come in almost any price range from $300 and up.

For me personally they fit my hand/shooting style the best. In my previous line of work I got to shoot dang near every sidearm made so I had the chance most folks never get, to see what truly fit me. Though Glocks are reliable and accurate they do not fit my hand well no matter what model I have tried and I have tried them all, same goes for most other makes and models. Ol' Slab Sides just "fits".
    I have two 1911's, one is an Enhanced Colt the other is a Springfield Armory MC Operator. Since getting the Operator the Colt has been retired as basically a Safe Queen though. I like the forged, heavier frame on the Operator more. No, I am not a large individual, only 5'8" and 190 lbs but in the cooler weather with a covering garment concealing this is not an issue. Of course a proper gun belt and holster makes the world of difference in carrying comfort for any sidearm.
    I personally do not OC unless it's around the yard, of course I have one neighbor who flashes me "The Look" every time HA HA. The folks on the other side of me just smile and mind their own business. That is a personal choice and I have no issues with those who do OC. That is their right and choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry12 View Post
    i hear a lot of talk about the 1911 so what is so good about it ? what advanage does the 1911 have over other gun's ?
    The Glock line of pistols is far superior to the 1911 design.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast