Buy a full size handgun for SHTF gear? Or use what you have? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy a full size handgun for SHTF gear? Or use what you have?

In the situation of total or almost total breakdown of civil authority I would want my 22lr rifle and my small 22lr pistol. With the rifle there is no need to wait till you 'see the whites of there eyes' to shoot. The pistol is intended for last ditch use. The reason why both guns are the same caliber is that if one of the guns gets lost or malfunctions the ammunition for it can still be used in the other gun. But why a 22lr? The 22lr is by far the most popular cartridge ever made and even during civil unrest might still be found if you have something to trade. Also if 22lr can be used to barter or trade for food or anything else. The larger calibers might be harder or even impossible to find. The 22lr is also compact enabling anyone to be mobile and carry hundreds of rounds at a fraction of the weight and space of larger calibers. Imagine trying to carry 500 rounds of 3006. It is also cheaper to 'stock up' on 22lr, for instance a thousand rounds of 22lr costs far less than a hundred rounds of 38. You can hunt with a 22, even a deer can be killed with a well aimed shot. As far as defending youself against the bad guys a 22lr can be quite lethal. In these situations the 22lr with plenty of ammunition is better than the 3006(or anything else) with only a fraction or none of the ammunition available. Just my (and many others) honest opinion.

The bottom line is, buy more guns. It's a better economic stimulous than anything that the big Zero has come up with.

(OT, I wish I could upload a buzzer sound effect for whenever I have to mention the big Zero, kinda like when you answer a question wrong in a game show. )

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    In the situation of total or almost total breakdown of civil authority I would want my 22lr rifle and my small 22lr pistol. With the rifle there is no need to wait till you 'see the whites of there eyes' to shoot. The pistol is intended for last ditch use. The reason why both guns are the same caliber is that if one of the guns gets lost or malfunctions the ammunition for it can still be used in the other gun. But why a 22lr? The 22lr is by far the most popular cartridge ever made and even during civil unrest might still be found if you have something to trade. Also if 22lr can be used to barter or trade for food or anything else. The larger calibers might be harder or even impossible to find. The 22lr is also compact enabling anyone to be mobile and carry hundreds of rounds at a fraction of the weight and space of larger calibers. Imagine trying to carry 500 rounds of 3006. It is also cheaper to 'stock up' on 22lr, for instance a thousand rounds of 22lr costs far less than a hundred rounds of 38. You can hunt with a 22, even a deer can be killed with a well aimed shot. As far as defending youself against the bad guys a 22lr can be quite lethal. In these situations the 22lr with plenty of ammunition is better than the 3006(or anything else) with only a fraction or none of the ammunition available. Just my (and many others) honest opinion.
    .22lr ammo, check
    .45ACP ammo, check
    12 ga ammo, check
    Handgun in .22lr and semiauto rifle in .22lr
    Handguns and M-10 in .45ACP with thoughts of getting an M-10 carbine
    12 ga autoloading shotgun for multiple targets at once

5. SHTF ? Better include at least one gun you can conceal on your body from your " friendly" government.

Epic Fail

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Would you use your compact daily carry gun? Or buy a new full size?
    Allow me to rephrase the question in terms we can all understand

"I have been presented w/ a perfect excuse to purchase a new firearm should I take it or not?"

See? If you ask the right question it almost answers itsself.

Seriously? Common, easily available caliber is a bigger concern than gun size. The most high tech .38 super in the world isn't going to help you much when the Zombie attack .
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Rifle and Shotgun, mags and plenty of ammo for all, pistol up closer than I desire if it all falls apart.

LOL! The guy in the video was a youtube "tactical ninja" with all his "tactical gear" LOL. To me a compact is just as good as a fullsize(only draw back is the ammo count). If the SHTF happened I would want a reusable weapon such as a bow and a sword. After a few years the ammo will dry up and firearms will become clubs.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

9. This thread requires some Burt Gummer

I can see that I need to get a very well paying job to afford all the firearms I need.

Of course, any job would be welcome right now. I've been looking since I got downsized before Thanksgiving.

Anybody got a 60K per year job they don't want?

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    I can see that I need to get a very well paying job to afford all the firearms I need.

Of course, any job would be welcome right now. I've been looking since I got downsized before Thanksgiving.

Anybody got a 60K per year job they don't want?
    As I said in a earlier post think '22' as it will do the job and is inexpensive. As far as a job you can always do what my wife did after losing her 50k a year job. She went to work at 'Arches Steak House'(McDonalds) for 60D (D is for dollars) a day. I am making zero D a day. I have had all the CHANGE I can handle. Lets send Obama to the unemployment line in 2012. Anybody disagree?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast