Buy a full size handgun for SHTF gear? Or use what you have? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buy a full size handgun for SHTF gear? Or use what you have?

Believe it or not, I tried McD's. They wouldn't hire me. Currently, I in the hiring process for the TSA as well as another company in my chosen field. I'm hoping one of the two (or both) work out. I have been working since I was 14 years old, and until now, the longest period I was out of work was 30 days when I was 17 years old. I absolutely HATE being on unemployment. I'd rather work 3 part time jobs, but can't get hired. Hell, in the last 4 months I've only been able to get 2 interviews.

Sorry for going so far off topic. What were we talking about?

Thats ok we were talking about what kind of guns to have in the event things really go bad. In an earlier post on this thread if you read it I am a firm believer in 22lr. As money is an issue you cant beat the price of a 22lr. About 3 cents a pop compared to 50 cents or more per pop for other calibers. I am not knocking other calibers but 22lr does have many advantages. Read my earlier post on this thread. And as far as employment goes if this tiny-tot town(population 1600) would let all the medium to large businesses that have tried to locate here there would not be unemployment here. But the 'good old boys' that rule here like things the way they are. So I am planning to move. Good luck on your job prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    Believe it or not, I tried McD's. They wouldn't hire me. Currently, I in the hiring process for the TSA as well as another company in my chosen field. I'm hoping one of the two (or both) work out. I have been working since I was 14 years old, and until now, the longest period I was out of work was 30 days when I was 17 years old. I absolutely HATE being on unemployment. I'd rather work 3 part time jobs, but can't get hired. Hell, in the last 4 months I've only been able to get 2 interviews.

Sorry for going so far off topic. What were we talking about?
    I can relate, I graduated college 2 years ago and then found out that no one will hire a new grad in my field. I've had 3 interviews in the last year and 2 of them have told me that they already had someone (not me) in mind and I was there because that had to interview X number of people before giving the job to the candidate they had already selected.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I can relate, I graduated college 2 years ago and then found out that no one will hire a new grad in my field. I've had 3 interviews in the last year and 2 of them have told me that they already had someone (not me) in mind and I was there because that had to interview X number of people before giving the job to the candidate they had already selected.
    When I got out of college, I applied at 3 different places. Got turned down at two because they said over qualified and wouldn't stay. Third hired another person so the letter I got said. 15 minutes before being called by them to come in the next day. Got sworn in as a State employee the next day. Stayed there 8.5 years. First two places folded up in that time. Longest time without a job was Aug 2003 to May 2005. Longest period unemployed was Nov 2004 to May 2005. I refused to go on unemployement. May 2005 is my offical retirement date with the Florida Retirement System. It isn't hard to burn thru $100K in that time so .22lr can be a survival round. If you can hunt, you can barter for other types of food/services.

In a true SHTF scenario...your pistol is to get you safely to your long guns!

I prefer a full size service pistol for the following reasons
    1. I'm a big dude...I can conceal a bigger gun
    2. Full size= longer sight radius =more accurate
    3. Full size= longer barrel= more velocity (think stomping power vs stopping power)
    4. Full size in most pistols means less recoil and faster target recovery (sight picture back on target during critical stress conditions)
    5. Full size means more rounds in the mag and less wasted space in my pocket (example 3ea 8 rnd mags = 2ea 12 rnd mags)
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    In a true SHTF scenario...your pistol is to get you safely to your long guns!

I prefer a full size service pistol for the following reasons
    1. I'm a big dude...I can conceal a bigger gun
    2. Full size= longer sight radius =more accurate
    3. Full size= longer barrel= more velocity (think stomping power vs stopping power)
    4. Full size in most pistols means less recoil and faster target recovery (sight picture back on target during critical stress conditions)
    5. Full size means more rounds in the mag and less wasted space in my pocket (example 3ea 8 rnd mags = 2ea 12 rnd mags)
    Or even 15 round mags for .45 ACP 1911s. 3 mags = ~1 box

Thanks for the feed back FloridaBlue. I'll give it a try. I was trying to post a picture residing on my hard drive and the URL thing threw me.

I have a Ruger LCP .380 on me virtually all the time.

At home, for SHTF, I have a Double Barrel 12 ga Coach shotgun w/ an extra 5 round buttstock carrier ~ all loaded with 00 Buck. Also on my side of the bed, a 9MM 10 + 1 semi auto w/extra mag. On the wife's side, a .38 Special + P SP101 Revolver w/2 speed loaders. In the other end of the house, my son has a 12 Ga. 6 shot pump loaded with 00 Buck.

Are we paranoid? No, just ready.

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

10. If you truly want to be prepared for the ship hit the span scenario that is so often bandied about, the choice is a false one. You should have a small easily concealed and comfortably carried handgun powerful enough to be effective. You should ALSO have one or more full size autoloaders, and a revolver or two... and a decent rifle and a shogun, twelve bore at the least, magnum or supermag is better. WHY? Can you absolutely guarantee beyond any shadow of doubt you will always be able to retain, and find ammunition for, your first one? Imagine the different situations that could separate you and your first handgun..... perhaps even a close friend or family member that might have desparate need of it, or perhaps YOU have to go elsewhere for some reason and then have to leave them behind defenseless..... no, get several.
    "buy em cheap and stack em deep". Several different calibers. Long guns are essential, perhaps more so than handguns unless you are stuck in an urban setting..... if you are there, make plans NOW to get out. If money is too big an object, sell your late model fancy car, buy a cheapo runner ten years older, and spend the difference on a selection of arms...... cache some where they won't be discovered, yet you can access them relatively easily and quickly. Do NOT leave all your "eggs' in one handgun.... multiple layers of back up redundancy. You DO want to survive no matter what, your family with you, do you not? At the very least, get a handgun with enough authority to take down larger game animals... you WILL get hungry, right? Make it of high enough quality you can fire an aimed shot at distance... at LEAST a hundred yards, two hundred is better. A 357 revolver with a six inch barrel can do this, if it is quality. You can also fire the far cheaper and more readily available .38 special in the same piece.... a fairly well placed 357 should be able to drop a deer at over a hundred yards.... meat on the table. Or ably harrass enemy intruders.. be they wearing government issued costumes or not. Your nine emm emm will not do either... except perhaps at VERY close range. Far closer than you are likely to get to that tasty deer.... and far closer than you'd ever want to get to a two-legged threat, in or out of costume. Rifles in small medium, and large calibers..... even a cheap two hundred dollar .30/06 and a spam can of milsurp ammo makes a LOT of sense... and can feed a family of five in many areas...... not to mention warding off biped varmints at distance.... your primary rifle should be accurate and capable at at LEAST four hundred yards. Half a mile is better. The piddling 5.56 NATO will NOT serve well in this regard. Save that one for smaller varmints..... or close ranges.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234