Buy a full size handgun for SHTF gear? Or use what you have?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy a full size handgun for SHTF gear? Or use what you have?

Buy a full size handgun for SHTF gear? Or use what you have?

I came across a video on youtube (can't seem to find it right now) that said you should save your money. He says you should save the money and use it for other gear you need, such as ammo and other stuff. He had a compact handgun that he used for daily carry as well as for his SHTF "tactical gear".

Would you use your compact daily carry gun? Or buy a new full size?

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Problem is --SHTF --is such a generic term therefore one won't know what's needed till it's needed.
    Having a full size gun may give a small advantage over something that is compact but neither may take the place of a good rifle.
    IMO--It's best to try to cover all bases to the best of ones ability

There's an old saying " a 380 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the glove box". Simple carry what you feel comfortable with, and what you will carry more on a daily basis. Here in the Florida heat , I always carry a Ruger LCP . Light enough in that I can wear a pair of shorts and just garb it while going to the store. Wouldn't be doing that with my Colt Officer's model! I find with the LCP I am carrying more often than I used to and that is the whole point, to have the firearm on you and accessible since you can't plan when you need it!!

Full size, 12 ga autoloader, rifle. What more do you need?

Smallest handgun we own (12+1 9mm)- and it's the wife's carry gun. However a gun without ammo is just a poorly designed club.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by murph50 View Post
    Problem is --SHTF --is such a generic term therefore one won't know what's needed till it's needed.
    Having a full size gun may give a small advantage over something that is compact but neither may take the place of a good rifle.
    IMO--It's best to try to cover all bases to the best of ones ability
    Well the SHTF he was addressing in the video was "end of the world" total breakdown. Civil war in the streets, no government, zombies etc.. take your pick,

Quote Originally Posted by pmb61 View Post
    There's an old saying " a 380 in the pocket is better than a 45 in the glove box". Simple carry what you feel comfortable with, and what you will carry more on a daily basis. Here in the Florida heat , I always carry a Ruger LCP . Light enough in that I can wear a pair of shorts and just garb it while going to the store. Wouldn't be doing that with my Colt Officer's model! I find with the LCP I am carrying more often than I used to and that is the whole point, to have the firearm on you and accessible since you can't plan when you need it!!
    Again I was not asking about choosing a daily carry firearm. It was addressing end of the world gear. Russia,China invade, zombies, civil war etc...

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Smallest handgun we own (12+1 9mm)- and it's the wife's carry gun. However a gun without ammo is just a poorly designed club.

Outstanding firearm! I carry the same one with the same ammo as my edc firearm. I did carry the fullsize M&P40 but it was not for me.

In those situations a handgun would be useful but a good rifle would be necessary.
    A handgun --no matter what size is still a close range weapon--I would prefer to stop the zombies before they get into pistol range.
    If the zombies do get close--the advantage of a full size pistol over a compact would be a moot point except that a full size pistol may have a larger carrying capacity.
    IMO--if the enemy gets so close that you need that much firepower and all you have is a handgun you're only buying yourself a few seconds--you will be overtaken

Your handgun is for when they are right on top of you. Get a rifle, preferable one that takes detachable magazines.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast