Carrying a 1911 concealed in condition one? Does the hammer snag?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a 1911 concealed in condition one? Does the hammer snag?

Question Carrying a 1911 concealed in condition one? Does the hammer snag?

Does it snag? Does lint and other crap keep it from working 100%? I want to carry my 1911 in condition one but I'm unsure the best way do it. I have only carried DA only handguns as my EDC firearm.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

I have carried in condition 1 for years. Trigger does not snag. Honestly lint and what little gets by the hammer will not stop it. That is why it is a workhorse. Cocked and locked, one in the chamber with the safety on is the safest way to carry it. Always ready.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I realize that this is getting a little off the original topic, but I wanted to know if, due to the presence of the grip safety, 1911s are safe to carry cocked and UNlocked. After all, it can't fire unless the trigger is squeezed AND the grip safety pressed.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

5. If you put your thumb on the hammer as you draw ANY pistol: the hammer will never snag on anything. Practice this and it never becomes an issue.

This "double action only" crap is a recent fad. One that's caught on. But unnecessary, with the appropriate technique.

In fact: if you practice cocking the pistol DURING the draw you never have to carry cocked and locked. This (hammer down) was the preferred method of carry when I was a youngster. Although if you haven't grown up with it, I don't recommend it unless you practice enough that you do it without thinking.

I think it's easier to thumb off the safety under stress than to cock the pistol. UNLESS you devote enough time to practice; and having done it that way for 30 plus years helps.

But cover the hammer during the draw with your thumb and the hammer never snags no matter what you carry.

Try it and see for yourself.

And I recommend practicing any draw with an empty pistol.

Not off topic at all. That is condition 0. Not reccomended. Can but only takes split second to release thumbs safety ass you grab your gun.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Been carrying over 30 years cocked and locked and have never experienced a problem.

On a 1911 the grip safety blocks the rearward travel of the trigger, the thumb safety blocks movement of the sear and hammer. The sear/ hammer interface is often only .020 and an 1911 carried cocked with the safety off that sustained a sharp/heavy blow to the hammer could result in a discharge.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Cocked, locked, but ready to rock. My EDC does get lint in it but who cares, it still fires every time.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I realize that this is getting a little off the original topic, but I wanted to know if, due to the presence of the grip safety, 1911s are safe to carry cocked and UNlocked. After all, it can't fire unless the trigger is squeezed AND the grip safety pressed.
    That is actually how the 1911 was originally designed to be carried. The frame mounted safety was added to comply with a request by the U.S. Army.

10. I've found the snag to be an issue on a 1911 with a spurred hammer. The rounded Commander hammers didn't seem to give me any issues, especially if I practiced uncovering to reach my holster properly for what I was carrying.

Non issue carry cocked and locked, lint is non issue, always check weapon at end of day for any safety issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast