What's your take on "Medical Marijuana Users Fight for Gun Rights" - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your take on "Medical Marijuana Users Fight for Gun Rights"

Pot isn't medicine.

"Medical Marijuana" is a ploy for potheads to get legal dope.

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mustang View Post
    ....Similarly If you are found with opiates in your blood without a prescription the legal limit is zero. There is simply no legal structure or laboratory testing for levels of intoxication with substances other than alcohol. ....
    Yep, without that little slip of paper someone taking Darvocet, Tylenol 3/4, Percocet would be up a creek. It would look like they were using Heroin or Cocaine.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mustang View Post
    I believe that simply posessing a medical marijuana card should not be enough to pull someones carry permit. However, I do feel that there are certain drugs like alcohol, narcotics, and marijuana which if overindulged in can impair judgement to the point that carrying a firearm becomes a bad idea.

The libertarian in me says that carrying under the influence should not necessarily be a crime in an of itself. But I would not be opposed to adding it as a lesser included offense for someone who actually shot somebody under the influence.

One problem is that there simply is no legal standard. The legal limit for THC in the blood is zero. Similarly If you are found with opiates in your blood without a prescription the legal limit is zero. There is simply no legal structure or laboratory testing for levels of intoxication with substances other than alcohol. Common laboratory tests measure presence but not the amount of drug metabolites. Even if the amount could be measured the results would have limited meaning without knowing patient weight, metabolism etc.

Even in the case of alcohol blood levels only tell part of the story. I have treated patients with alcohol levels that would KILL me who are walking around talking and seem relatively sober. I have treated patients for DT's who were still well beyond the legal limit for intoxication.

As a result of this, I am SURE that any prosecuting attorney who found that a concealed carry permit holder was on any psychoactive medication may be likely to press charges. Equally I am sure that carrying under the influence would have plaintiff's attorneys foaming at the mouth to sue.

Does this apply to legal psychoactive medications? Possibly, if you were taking anti-depressants, mood stabilizers, anti-psychotics or stimulants (like Ritalin, or Adderall which are amphetamines) Those are sure to be factors in any criminal or civil case.

However, simply taking those medications is not, in many states, a legal reason to deny or revoke a concealed carry permit. It should be remembered that "mental illness" and "insanity" are two separate concepts, the former is a medical term and the latter purely a legal concept. One can be voluntarily undergoing treatment for mental illness and not be legally prohibited from owning or even carrying a firearm. Only when a court gets involved and mandates treatment do gun rights become an issue.
    Yes. With legalization, comes regulation, i.e. lots of extra work. I it my understanding that The Netherlands has, or had, an overabundance of marijuana that many did not want, because when they regulated it and legalized it, the "dosage" was lower than people were hoping for.

Why is MJ illegal? Or any other drug?
    Ed
    "The tree of Liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson 3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

6. Quote Originally Posted by Edsworld View Post
    Why is MJ illegal? Or any other drug?
    I will take a SWAG (Scientific wild ass guess) at it.....to give government more control over the dumb masses asses. Who cares what you put into your body if it doesn't hurt anyone else. Take their voting previledge away if they get caught commenting a crime.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Every year the History channel runs a week long series on the common illegal drugs--what they are --and why they're illegal.
    No drug was made illegal for health or safety reasons. It's all politics.
    The US Constitution was written on hemp paper and many of the founding fathers grew it for paper,clothe and medicinal purposes.
    The timber industry and the Hearst family were big lobbyists (among others) who fought to make MJ illegal because they could make more money using trees for paper instead of hemp. BTW--you can get over 5x more paper from an acre of hemp than from an acre of trees but common sense and logic are not something often seen in politics.
    MJ is classified as a drug but it is actually just an herb
    MJ is not addictive
    One cannot overdose on MJ that is smoked
    Most of the drugs that are pushed on TV ads have way worse side effects that MJ.
    Legal drugs make big bucks for drug companies and the government.
    MJ --since it's illegal-- makes big bucks for illegal drug dealers. If it where legal--drug dealers would be gone and states could tax it for income.

As far as someone CCing while high on dope--I could care less.
    Does it effect judgement --sure --to a degree it would but what doesn't.
    A sinus headache can also effect judgement and so can a woman with big bazooms--good judgement is relative--if I'm in a really bad mood my judgement may be different than when I'm in a good mood.
    Therefore --any responsible person who carries needs to be responsible for there own actions--drunk or sober--high or not high--good mood or bad

Quote Originally Posted by murph50 View Post
    ...MJ is classified as a drug but it is actually just an herb
    MJ is not addictive
    It alters normal biochemical function so it is, by definition a drug.

Potheads gradually lose interest in most things in life besides being stoned. While not binding to Mu receptors like opiods, or GABA receptors like benzos, potheads do become heavily dependent on staying stoned.

It obviously alters enough peoples grasp of fact and reality and makes them STUPID! They even think it is okay to pack deadly weapons, drive deadly weapons, while they are stoned stupid and unable to make good judgements!

-Doc
    Last edited by Bighouse Doc; 04-14-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: spelling

I'm thinkin poor doc got tied to a chair as a youth and watched an endless loop of refer madness. I don't know a single person who smoked enough in one night to die from MJ. I wish I could say the same for a few drunks I knew that drowned in their own puke.
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

Doc--a full blown stoner has got problems and he had them before he started smoking dope--a personality disorder maybe or maybe somwhat like an alcholic.
    Most MJ users use it for recreation or medicinal purposes. I know plenty of professional recreational MJ smokers including some docs and they are just regular folks.
    Sorry--I've been around the block a few times and do not see MJ as some dangerous drug--

Quote Originally Posted by murph50 View Post
    Doc--a full blown stoner has got problems and he had them before he started smoking dope--a personality disorder maybe or maybe somwhat like an alcholic.
    Most MJ users use it for recreation or medicinal purposes. I know plenty of professional recreational MJ smokers including some docs and they are just regular folks.
    Sorry--I've been around the block a few times and do not see MJ as some dangerous drug--
    I have seen a few docs who are regular stoners change their career from good physician to jailbirds. They use more and more often, and stay stoned longer and longer, and start making more and more mistakes from bad judgement.

There is good evidence from a Scandinavian study (which supports some smaller studies) that showed decrease in cognitive skills from prolonged periods of use. Not published in junk-science pot propaganda, but reputable, peer reviewed journals.

-Doc

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast