Laser sights,tactical edge? Or waste of time and money?

View Poll Results: Tactical edge? Waste of time and money?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they give you a edge.

9 50.00%
  • Yes,waste of time and money. Iron sights are all I need.

2 11.11%
  • Real men don't use a sissy laser.

0 0%
  • 20/20, gives you a edge at times and handicaps you at others.

7 38.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser sights,tactical edge? Or waste of time and money?

Question Laser sights,tactical edge? Or waste of time and money?

I had crimson trace laser grips on my M&P 40, but I never used them. When at the range I shut them off. I know a lot of people own and love them. But others claim you waste time looking for the laser when time counts. The iron sights are faster and you don't need a battery change to use them. So I ask what do y'all think about them? The good, the bad and the ugly. Lets hear it all.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Laser sights are a good tactical tool, not to be relied upon or used in every situation. Just like a flashlight; if you don't have it you can't use it :-) We should know how to use our weapons with these tools and without. The first reaction may be hands or feet: hit, push, block, grab, kick, run, etc. If you don't prepare these also, they may not work either... If you don't have them you can't use them.
    My $0.02
    Scott
    Scott Vaughn
    AR CHCL Instructor #02-414 www.vftar.com
    Suarez International Staff Instructor www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

Lasers work well, however, it's still a good idea to learn to shoot your weapon without them. Lasers, in my opinion make lousy shooters average, good shooters great, and great shooters marksmen. However, in the event you need to use your weapon the laser fails, it shouldn't matter if you're a good shooter.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I have a CT on my S&W. Like you I don't use it at the range as much. IMO the range is where I hone my aiming skills down the iron sights. I do make sure my laser is true. That's not to say I don't do some practice with it. The reason I have a CT on it is for the times that aiming down the iron sights may not be plausible or should the situation require instant targeting, say from the hip. The CT is accurate to be able to draw point & hit your target from the hip but that requires you to fire upon immediate target acquisition. Also the laser may & I say "may" be an psychological deterrent to a situation once the BG's sees the red dot on his chest.
    Different situations would require me to make the call as to what I use.

It's just another tool, but like any tool, you have to be proficient with it.
    My gun is like an adult diaper, I wear it daily & no one has to know, until the day "crap happens"

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Lasers, in my opinion make lousy shooters average, good shooters great, and great shooters marksmen.
    I only concur with first ⅓ of your premise.

3X PM

A laser (IMO) is just another kind of sight. I can see where it would make you a safer shooter if it is properly zeroed ( which is assumed) but you still have to have breath control and trigger squeeze.A friend of mine who just left the Army (he was an 11B40 and a sniper) said that the last time he qual'd w/ an M16 he didn't use the sights at all just the laser and he got expert. but he was already a better than average shot. If I had one I'd use it but I can't afford to dump 300+ into one
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

IMO, for the average CC who wants to protect himself on the street or in some potential and real confrontation situation, situational awareness is No. 1--if you watch what you are doing and where and when you are doing it etal, potential confrontation is almost nil and you will never have to make any decisions about your firearm etal (always a what if but I am 69 and have lived in NYC most of that time and NEVER had a thought about a firearm for anything). If the what if happens even with the above comments, your decision to use your firearm will occur within a short distance from the potential problem. If it is over say 50 ft, it seems incredulous that it can be presumed to be an imminent threat to your life. At 20 ft or so, it can be considered imminent and then time is of the essence. Anything, and that includes turning on a laser and using it to acquire a target takes several fractions of a second---fractions that you will not have at 20ft. Point/shoot is the only method that will ensure no time loss from the time you present your firearm and, IMO, is more important than all the lasers you want on your firearm. Hey--to each his own--if it makes you feel better and it makes you think you have an advantage, have at it. Please do not talk about darkness---you can always see the 20ft for point/shoot and if you cannot, guess what---your adversary cannot see you either so the situation is moot.

Having worked for a manufacturer of tactical lasers and lights they do have their uses.

We made them primarily for the Military/LE community but also sold some models for civilians.

Our Military versions were more powerful plus had IR capability which are not sold in the more powerful/IR configuration to civilians. In low light/no light environments they gave our troops a very big advantage especially in IR mode using NVGs. In bright sunlight visible RED lasers are next to useless unless your target is close. Yes I do own several models, one light/laser combo mounted on my nightstand gun, more for the bright white light if something goes bump in the night so I can see WTH it was and a red dot/laser sight mounted to my M4 type carbine which also has a white mounted to its quad rail.

From experience testing and using lasers, once you zero them for point of aim/point of impact be aware that they are only spot on at that exact range. We all know bullets do not fly in straight lines where as a laser does. Depending on where its mounted on a rifle, with a quad rail, where the round goes maybe higher/lower/left/right compared to the laser dot. Even though I do have them I personally feel that the "Mk1 Eyeball" and iron sights are the best but when the SHTF you use all the tools you have available to come out still standing.

So forgive me if this is hijacking the thread, but what are the thoughts about the fiber optic sight? I've wanted to consider a laser or a flashlight for my Glock, but recently shot a S&W with a fiber optic sight and was intrigued.

In most self-defense scenarios discussed on the boards, they will be useless.

An irresponsible user who relies on them rather than actually knowing and being accustomed to using their sights will be put at a disadvantage...by their irresponsibility, not by the laser.

As one who has shot quite a few times from cover, and who knows that there are those rare occassions where correct use of sights will expose one more than one wants to be exposed when someone else is shooting at one, I will always have a laser on my carry gun for those times when they are a help.

I prepare as well as I can for whatever may confront me...and part of that preparation is having laser capability for those times when it is helpfull.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast