Silenced 22. vs 38 for basement shooting.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silenced 22. vs 38 for basement shooting.

1. Silenced 22. vs 38 for basement shooting.

I was thinking of redoing my basement to a shooting range.
    Out of plain curiosity and courtesy to the people up stairs, what makes the least noise out of a silenced 22. or a 38.?

Thanks.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Just remember, either way Uncle Sam is going to get his nose involved if in the US.

Hornet

I have both a silencer for my .22 and .38. I can tell you that the .22 seems to be a little more accurate and quite a bit more silenced than the .38. Have you ever purchased a silencer before? Not sure what the cost is now but I paid around $425 each and that included a $200 fee per silencer.

Quote Originally Posted by jabatten View Post
    I have both a silencer for my .22 and .38. I can tell you that the .22 seems to be a little more accurate and quite a bit more silenced than the .38. Have you ever purchased a silencer before? Not sure what the cost is now but I paid around $425 each and that included a $200 fee per silencer.
    What brands and models?

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

7. You might be interested in this bullet trap....no relation, no interest, just saw it recently.
    Bullet Bunker - Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by J-Erik View Post
    I was thinking of redoing my basement to a shooting range.
    Out of plain curiosity and courtesy to the people up stairs, what makes the least noise out of a silenced 22. or a 38.?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jabatten View Post
    Price now would be that without the tax of $200.

9. Suppressing a 38?

Do you mean 38 as in .38spc as in a revolver? Gases escaping between cylinder and forcing cone can't be "suppressed". Only revolver I know can be effectively suppressed is the Russian Nagant 7.62mm revolver. I'd follow the 22LR route.

Not sure if you reload but you can now get rubber bullets that fire using strictly the force of the primer - no powder involved. They should be very quiet. I believe I saw them on Midwayusa.com.

Quote Originally Posted by civilian75 View Post
    Do you mean 38 as in .38spc as in a revolver? Gases escaping between cylinder and forcing cone can't be "suppressed". Only revolver I know can be effectively suppressed is the Russian Nagant 7.62mm revolver. I'd follow the 22LR route.
    Agreed. Generally speaking, revolvers cannot be as effectively silenced as autoloaders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast