Some questions about rubber bullets
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about rubber bullets

1. Some questions about rubber bullets

Not sure where to post so I went with General. I am thinking about rubber bullets so I'll share my story and ask the questions.

A couple days ago I was involved in a incident that changed my "I'll never use this thing" thought process. I was outside smoking when my new/strange cops been there a few times neighbors start with the usually comical yelling. Now after a few moments I hear that one of the 2 women in the house was hit in the nose and bleeding, shortly after hearing one scream "put down the knife." As fast as I start thinking this is more than usual and a cop-call needs to be made the mother comes running out and sreams at me to help her because her son is cutting himself up. Having heard that he sometimes hits his girlfriend who is still up there with him, my mind is racing with the possibilities. So as I walk near I call 911 and get the cops on the way. Standing outside by the door yelling at the neighborhood kids gathering too young and too close to a house with a crazyman with a knife to go home. By the time I finish with the operator the mother had returned up the stairs (townhouse) so I listen not knowing how homicidal this kid (15-19) could be. As the mother informs him the cops are on the way he states his desire to get them to shoot him. Naturally I stay far enough away to avoid this kind of situation but I stay close enough in case the women start getting hacked up. Good news is they seem (they close the door at some point) to get him calmed down and the girlfriend drives him away shortly before the cops arrive.

My new intrest in something non-lethal is based on this event as I realize if something in this middle-gray area occurs and doesn't work out "well" it may be the kind of moment when killing someone is not going to look good, nor scare the homicidal/suicidal type person to back down requiring action. So I would love to get any info/ resources on some non-lethal rounds like rubber bullets and anything I may not know about and how effective they are, and also what is the actual risk of killing the person when you shoot something like that.

I would think that a Taser would be better than a rubber bullet round for a civilian. The problem is if the cops rolled up when you had you rubber bullet gun out and shot you not knowing the rounds were non lethal. Also what if you need the lethal rounds and your loaded with rubber? What if you carry one mag each and mix them up. If a Taser is legal for you I would vote that way as a better non lethal.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

Rubbers are for protected sex... Use real bullets... Pissing someone off by shooting them with rubber is not a good idea.

Remember you only get 1 shot to make a first impression...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

i would NOT use rubber bullets, i second the taser idea, they can be found for about $350 or less, you dont need the model the police do the X 26 i think. they are about $900-$1000 last time i looked. also look into pepper spray prefer a 10% or higher capsasin ( main pepper ingredient) funny how people respond to a balst in the face of that stuff, just dont use if you think/know if hes drunk or on drugs, but even if so it can still buy you time to draw your wepon if need be.

6. I agree on both the taser and the pepper spray. Myself, I would use the Pepper Spray first because if nothing else it will at least impair his vision. Then if needed give him a blast with the Taser. Like others say, rubber is a bad idea. If you're going to shoot that gun, remember it is only supposed to be used if there is an imminent life threatening situation. So if you're going to shoot, you need to stop the threat.
    If you take all the guns off the street, you still will have a crime problem.
    If you take the criminals off the street, you cannot have a gun problem.

The pepper/OC spray is a good idea. I am looking into getting some, but I haven't decided what brand to go with.

With the Taser the civilian model that I'd go with is the C2. There is also the X-26c, the civilian model of the unit the LEO's use. The C2 is smaller and in my opinion easier to cary. The X-26c resembles a handgun and might be confused for a firearm by a LEO at first glance. The C2 looks more like a flashlight or a Type II Phaser (Sorry. That was from the Trekkie in me). You can get the C2 in a kit that includes some practice loads, a target, and a holster. I believe that it is set up for a crossdraw from a position about 10:30 on the belt.

Just make sure that if you go with a Taser that it is legal for you to own and operate. As an example, for me in NC I can open carry a Taser, but cannot conceal carry it. My conceal carry permit only allows me (in NC) to conceal a handgun, but no other weapons, and NC law states that Taser and "other similar devices" cannot be concealed. Just be careful and make sure you stay within the law for you area.

Be safe with whatever you go with.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

I think you need to understand that your first priority is to yourself and your family. You are not the Police and you are not your neighbors keeper. Intervening in other peoples violence is a LAST resort and only when someone is under threat of eminent death or great bodily harm. (Other than some jackass wanting to off himself .................. let him)

If you want to play LEO then I suggest you get a job as an LEO.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

If people want to live in a house with this maniac --my first reaction is--it's their problem--not mine.
    As I was reading this --I was thinking Taser.
    Pepper spray could be ok but I'd be sure to have a firearm.
    It really does sound like your neighbors are gonna be the neighborhood whacko's--if it were me --I would avoid them as much as possible and hope that the crazy dude gets arrested or the whole batch of them decides to move

Quote Originally Posted by aj's 40 cal View Post
    i would NOT use rubber bullets, i second the taser idea, they can be found for about $350 or less, you dont need the model the police do the X 26 i think. they are about $900-$1000 last time i looked. also look into pepper spray prefer a 10% or higher capsasin ( main pepper ingredient) funny how people respond to a balst in the face of that stuff, just dont use if you think/know if hes drunk or on drugs, but even if so it can still buy you time to draw your wepon if need be.
    Just remember not to mix an oil based pepper spray with a taser gun. You will end up lighting the person on fire! Even with water based and "Non-flammable" OC you still have a risk of fire when mixed with a taser. read report below.

http://www.seattle.gov/music/nightli...lesslethal.pdf

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LethalMouse View Post
    Not sure where to post so I went with General. I am thinking about rubber bullets so I'll share my story and ask the questions.

A couple days ago I was involved in a incident that changed my "I'll never use this thing" thought process. I was outside smoking when my new/strange cops been there a few times neighbors start with the usually comical yelling. Now after a few moments I hear that one of the 2 women in the house was hit in the nose and bleeding, shortly after hearing one scream "put down the knife." As fast as I start thinking this is more than usual and a cop-call needs to be made the mother comes running out and sreams at me to help her because her son is cutting himself up. Having heard that he sometimes hits his girlfriend who is still up there with him, my mind is racing with the possibilities. So as I walk near I call 911 and get the cops on the way. Standing outside by the door yelling at the neighborhood kids gathering too young and too close to a house with a crazyman with a knife to go home. By the time I finish with the operator the mother had returned up the stairs (townhouse) so I listen not knowing how homicidal this kid (15-19) could be. As the mother informs him the cops are on the way he states his desire to get them to shoot him. Naturally I stay far enough away to avoid this kind of situation but I stay close enough in case the women start getting hacked up. Good news is they seem (they close the door at some point) to get him calmed down and the girlfriend drives him away shortly before the cops arrive.

My new intrest in something non-lethal is based on this event as I realize if something in this middle-gray area occurs and doesn't work out "well" it may be the kind of moment when killing someone is not going to look good, nor scare the homicidal/suicidal type person to back down requiring action. So I would love to get any info/ resources on some non-lethal rounds like rubber bullets and anything I may not know about and how effective they are, and also what is the actual risk of killing the person when you shoot something like that.
    As for as I know rubber bullets are only made for shotguns(unless you hand load your own).Here is a link to a whole page of less then lethal shotgun rounds.
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...spx?catid=1959

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast