Dr asks wife, "Guns in house?" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr asks wife, "Guns in house?"

This is a simple-straightforward question. I can't see what the problem is. If the doctor were to ask me about this I'd just be honest. I'd answer:

"Of course, doesn't everyone who values their freedom? Would you like to see the one I'm carrying now?"

:icon_cheesygrin:
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Heal yeah!
    :icon_great:
    Give everybody guns.
    Natural selection will cull out the idiots.

There are some places like here in HI where the police dept will send a letter to your doctor when you apply for a firearms permit. :icon_mad: The doctor then has about a week to respond to the letter from the police dept. Here in Hawaii, your physician could be responsible for getting your firearms permit denied, AND causing future headaches when applying for permits in the future. :n:

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    There are some places like here in HI where the police dept will send a letter to your doctor when you apply for a firearms permit. :icon_mad: The doctor then has about a week to respond to the letter from the police dept. Here in Hawaii, your physician could be responsible for getting your firearms permit denied, AND causing future headaches when applying for permits in the future. :n:

gf

Seems to me that that would be a HIPPA violation. Should they ask your lawyer as well? Whatever happened to "patient/doctor confidentiality"?
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

New Screening Questions for young Doc.

Yes it is true that all new Dr. are trained to ask the question"are there firearms in the home and if so you should remove them because it is very unsafe to have them in the home with young children" a friend of mine is a former trooper and now is the person that obtains bodies for Dr. to practice on and ALL of his new pediatritions (I am a terrible speller) are trained to as such a question. It should be very interesting when my first baby comes along in a few months and we go to see that Dr. for the first time because I think when he/she ask that question I am going to take out my carry piece (a Kimber Ultra CarryII) and say "like this one?"
    I am a disabled LOE and a Firearms instructor now not to mention a NRA life member so this one will not go over well!

Quote Originally Posted by NRA_instructor View Post
    It should be very interesting when my first baby comes along in a few months and we go to see that Dr. for the first time because I think when he/she ask that question I am going to take out my carry piece (a Kimber Ultra CarryII) and say "like this one?"
    I am a disabled LOE and a Firearms instructor now not to mention a NRA life member so this one will not go over well!
    Do you really think that "brandishing" your firearm in the doctor's office is an appropriate thing to do? :icon_rolleyes: I strongly recommend that you find a more tactful approach in this situation. There are many "anti" 2A folks, there are many more folks "on the fence". Do we really need to give the undecided folks a reason to join the "anti" folks?

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I went with my wife to all of her pre-natal visits, so I was there when the Doc asked "if we had guns in the house". My response was "Maybe. You could break in one night and find out."

Post Doctor - Firearm Safety Liability Form

I picked this up a few years ago somewhere on the net.
    -------------------------------------------------------

PHYSICIAN OR EDUCATOR QUALIFICATIONS AND LIABILITY

FIREARMS SAFETY COUNSELING REPRESENTATION:
    PHYSICIAN QUALIFICATIONS AND LIABILITY

Part One: Qualifications

I affirm that I am certified to offer
    (Name of Patient:__________________________________________ ________ ),
    herineafter referred to as "the Patient", qualified advice about firearms safety in the home, having received:

Specify Course(s) of Study:
    __________________________________________________ ___________ from:
    Specify Institution(s)
    __________________________________________________ ________________ on:
    Specify Course Completion Date(s):
    __________________________________________________ ____ resulting in:
    Specify Accreditation(s), Certification(s), License(s) etc.:

Check one, as appropriate:
    ___ I represent that I have reviewed applicable scientific literature pertaining to defensive gun use and beneficial results of private firearms ownership. I further represent that I have reviewed all other relevant home safety issues with the Patient, including those relating to electricity, drains, disposals, compactors, garage doors, driveway safety, pool safety, pool fence codes and special locks for pool gates, auto safety, gas, broken glass, stored cleaning chemicals, buckets, toilets, sharp objects, garden tools, home tools, power tools, lawnmowers, lawn chemicals, scissors, needles, forks, knives, etc. I also acknowledge, by receiving this document, I have been made aware that, in his inaugural address before the American Medical Association on June 20, 2001, new president Richard Corlin, MD, admitted "What we don't know about violence and guns is literally killing us...researchers do not have the data to tell how kids get guns, if trigger locks work, what the warning signs of violence in schools and at the workplace are and other critical questions due to lack of research funding." (UPI). In spite of this admission, I represent that I have sufficient data and expertise to provide expert and clinically sound advice to patients regarding firearms in the home.

OR
    ___ I am knowingly engaging in Home/Firearms Safety Counseling without certification, license or formal training in Risk Management, and; I have not reviewed applicable scientific literature pertaining to defensive gun use and beneficial results of private firearms ownership.

Part Two:
    Liability

I have determined, from a review of my medical malpractice insurance, that if I engage in an activity for which I am not certified, such as Firearms Safety Counseling, the carrier (check one, as appropriate):
    ___ will
    ___ will not
    cover lawsuits resulting from neglect, lack of qualification, etc.

Insurance Carrier name, address and policy number insuring me for firearms safety expertise:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________

I further warrant that, should the Patient follow my firearm safety counseling and remove from the home and/or disable firearms with trigger locks or other mechanisms, and if the patient or a family member, friend or visitor is subsequently injured or killed as a result of said removal or disabling, that my malpractice insurance and/or personal assets will cover all actual and punitive damages resulting from a lawsuit initiated by the patient, the patient's legal reprerentative, or the patient's survivors.

Signature of attesting physician and date:
    __________________________________________________ _
    Name of attesting physician (please print):

Signature of patient and date:
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Name of patient (please print):
    __________________________________________________ __________

Note to patient: Indicate if physician "REFUSED TO SIGN." Ask physician to place copy in chart/medical record.

10. Its none of thier buisnuess to know if you or I or anyone else has guns

Talking Well Inform

When you get A new Doctor Before you're wife goes to him are her doctor, Tell You're wife. to tell the doctor. I Cam here for A woman's check up. and that is all. Doctors. can ask you question that is my understanding, But not those kind of questions. I Was ask that the doctors Questions also But I tell them What they need to do When I have A problem. I dont let them ask me the Question's Go Over some stuff with You're wife to Before she goes to the doctor. our go in with her. i Was told this by one of the doctor's if i felt save at home and I just could not help it and i laughed, then I said yes. so tell you're wife to not tell the doctor ever thing. because they can use it against her. our you trust me on this. Like one i never tell my age heheheh. ok like would you teel the doctor when was the last time you had sex no i would not i would say in a year. exsample. And Yes My Other have noes about this.
    You didn't get penetration even with the elephant gun.
    :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast