Are we responsible for the results of pulling the trigger no matter what? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are we responsible for the results of pulling the trigger no matter what?

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    The burglars should be charged with what they did, which was home invasion. My heart goes out to the Burton family for their loss, but those burglars did not kill that little girl; the fact is, she is dead not because of what the burglars did, but because of what her father did, and he's the one who should be charged. So, to answer the original question, yes, he is responsible.
    I must respectfully disagree. The burglars put this man in a very unenviable position where he had to defend himself and his family with deadly force. In my mind they should be charged with her death. Had they not broken into the house (a criminal act) this would not have happened. I agree that Mr. Burton made a huge mistake in closing his eyes before he shot but I really cannot judge the actions of a man who is in a position I have never been in. In my opinion he made the mistake so he is responsible but should not be held criminally responsibe. Besides, who do we want off the streets - two thugs who broke into a house or a man who tried to defend his family and made a grave mistake?

I have actually heard of a training doctrine for night firing where you close your eyes right as you fire the weapon and open them right afterwards - it's kind of like blinking in time with the shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'd say far more people remember Lavar Burton as Kunta Kinte than Geordy La Forge
    Roots... 1977 Ahhh... Charlie's Angels w/ Farrah... Good times...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Yes SC Tiger, you're correct that none of that would have happened if the burglars hadn't broken in, but the fact remains that they didn't shoot anybody; the father did, and he did it with his eyes closed. The fact that they're being charged for a murder they didn't commit is ridiculous.

Yes SC Tiger, you're correct that none of that would have happened if the burglars hadn't broken in, but the fact remains that they didn't shoot anybody; the father did, and he did it with his eyes closed. The fact that they're being charged for a murder they didn't commit is ridiculous.
    tattedupbay, the hand of one is the hand of all. This incident wouldn't of happened if the BG's had not violated the Law. Anything after that initial violation is chargeable. If the guys wife would have had a heart attack and died, they'd be charged with manslaughter. Their criminal act intiaited a string of events. ALL events are from their choice. ON THE OTHER SIDE think of it this way. If initial evidence is secured agaisnt someone that was not legally obtained, ALL other evidence collected afterward is thrown out (As it should). So the link, chain if you will, goes both ways.
    Just my opinion, not telling anybody how to think or what to do.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Wink Since we are talking about night time shooting...

Screams break the silence
    Waking from the dead of night
    Vengeance is boiling
    He's returned to kill the light
    Then when he's found who he's looking for
    Listen in awe and you'll hear him

Bark at the moon

Years spent in torment
    Buried in a nameless grave
    Now he has risen
    Miracles would have to save
    Those that the beast is looking for
    Listen in awe and you'll hear him

Bark at the moon

They cursed and buried him
    Along with shame
    And thought his timeless soul had gone
    In empty burning Hell-unholy one
    But now he's returned to prove them wrong

Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell

And when he finds who he's looking for
    Listen in awe and you'll hear him Bark at the moon

But the little girl's death was a direct result of the burglars' breaking into the house with possible malicious intent (an illegal act). As mappow put it, had the father had a heart attack as a result of this then they would have been charged with murder as well. Once you commit a criminal act, you are responsible for all of the consequences.

If you can't live with that, don't break in people's houses.

Watched this video on TV. Two guys come into store. BG one jumps the counter and gets shot by clerk, jumps back over counter, runs outside and dies. BG two, fires off a couple of rounds at the clerk (missed) and runs out after his buddy.
    BG one is dead. BG two is caught by police. BG two is charged with the death of BG one. Justice served.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Yes, he owned the results, and got away with involuntary manslaughter.
    i agree.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123