Thinking about purchasing a Luger...
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Thinking about purchasing a Luger...

  1. #1

    Thinking about purchasing a Luger...

    But Im curious about one thing. Do you register it the same as a regular handgun? I read stories all the time about peoples fathers and grandfathers bringing them back after the war and I highly doubt they were ever registered. Now that I would like to purchase one, Im just curious what to do. I usually act first without thinking, so now Id actually like to be smart about it. Thanks for any and all help.

  2.   
  3. Unbelievable

    I am continually astonished that people ask questions and assume that it is normal to have to register their firearms. I feel sorry for anybody that ever has.

    But, to answer the question, a Luger isn't any different from any other semiautomatic pistol unless your STATE has a specific exemption for guns of a certain age.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Turkules77 View Post
    But Im curious about one thing. Do you register it the same as a regular handgun? I read stories all the time about peoples fathers and grandfathers bringing them back after the war and I highly doubt they were ever registered. Now that I would like to purchase one, Im just curious what to do. I usually act first without thinking, so now Id actually like to be smart about it. Thanks for any and all help.
    Wouldn't know, I've never registered a gun in my life. Never had to get a permit from the sheriff to buy a gun neither.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Wouldn't know, I've never registered a gun in my life. Never had to get a permit from the sheriff to buy a gun neither.
    Agreed, nobody from the government needs to know what I own.

  6. Luger

    A luger is a pistol because it fires semiautomatic. And then, of course that makes it a gun. If you buy a Luger from a dealer then all laws both federal and state will have to be followed. Therefore. put simply. a Luger is like any other handgun.There is one minor exception...a good one with all matching numbers is very, very expensive. If you want to buy one that looks like your new Smith 29, start looking around for 4-5 thousand dollars.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by cawpin View Post
    I am continually astonished that people ask questions and assume that it is normal to have to register their firearms. I feel sorry for anybody that ever has.

    But, to answer the question, a Luger isn't any different from any other semiautomatic pistol unless your STATE has a specific exemption for guns of a certain age.
    That is why I am asking before I make any mistakes. I wasn't born with that knowledge in my brain, so I figured a gun forum was a good place to ask that question.


    Let me re-phrase the question. If I purchase a gun from a friend or perhaps a family member that has one. Are there any steps I need to take besides paying for it? I apologize if this is a basic question that most people know the answer to, but I am new to guns and I just don't really know. Thanks again in advance.

  8. #7
    Turkules77: Down here, when buying a gun from a private source, there is nothing that needs to be done. No registration, etc. In a gun shop, the normal paperwork to satisfy the government. You should check your state laws since you live in one of those states that can get nasty about guns. If the state doesn't require it, DO NOT register it. That way, you are free of any government registry and possible confiscation one of these days. As for buying a Luger, I have one brought back from WW I by my great-uncle. They are nice weapons to own but the older ones do not take too well to modern ammunition. It is an extremely accurate pistol and was fun to shoot years ago. It does not conceal well at all so I wouldn't plan on carrying it around. Nice conversation piece however.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgrunt View Post
    Turkules77: Down here, when buying a gun from a private source, there is nothing that needs to be done. No registration, etc. In a gun shop, the normal paperwork to satisfy the government. You should check your state laws since you live in one of those states that can get nasty about guns. If the state doesn't require it, DO NOT register it. That way, you are free of any government registry and possible confiscation one of these days. As for buying a Luger, I have one brought back from WW I by my great-uncle. They are nice weapons to own but the older ones do not take too well to modern ammunition. It is an extremely accurate pistol and was fun to shoot years ago. It does not conceal well at all so I wouldn't plan on carrying it around. Nice conversation piece however.
    Thank you so much for the response. One of my biggest concerns is that we are talking about Massachusetts, where the cops and people in charge barely know the rules. Just curious, where do you think I find a list of state rules specific to this type of question? I have searched around and came up empty. Don't really know where to begin. Thanks again.

  10. #9
    Go to the top of this page and click on the Carry Maps and Permit tabs. That will give you some information you need or at least start you in the right direction. There are usually a lot of people on here from your part of the country who can help you further. Take care. OG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast