So I broke down today and put it on Layaway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: So I broke down today and put it on Layaway.

  1. #1

    Talking So I broke down today and put it on Layaway.

    Well after weeks of thinking about 1911's(mainly the one I saw when selling another firearm) I broke down today and put it on layaway. The braking point was when I started to dream about 1911's(last night, 1911's with crimson trace grips). She should be home in a few weeks. It's a High Standard Crusader Compact 1911 .45 ACP, with one 7 round Act-mag. I cant seem to find night sights for it? Does anyone know of night sights that will fit it? I thought you could just use any 1911 style night sight, but cheaperthandirt and Optic plan, both told me I needed a Novak cut sight? Optic told me I needed to contact Kimber and ask them if their Meprolight sight will fit it?? I think I'm going to go with packmayar or crimson trace grips.

    It's this one right here.





    I know it's not a Kimber or a Wilson combat or Para, but you have to start somewhere right. It's my first 1911 and my first 45 cal firearm.

    Do they kick vary much? Most I have shot so far is a 40cal, but I have seen 5' 100 pound girls shooting them with no problem. So it must not be to bad?

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  2.   
  3. #2
    What made you choose that brand? How much research did you do? I am looking (and dreaming) for a 1911 as well

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeboss View Post
    What made you choose that brand? How much research did you do? I am looking (and dreaming) for a 1911 as well
    From everything I have read and watched(youtube) Armscor who is the manufacturer of High Standard and others (Charles Daly
    Armscor itself
    Rock Island
    High Standard).

    Makes outstanding 1911's for prices that don't make you have to file chapter 11! As I understand it the Armsor and High Standards are made in the Philippines and imported into the USA. The Rock Islands are made in the US.

    The one I have coming is has a
    3.65 inch barrel business-like matte Parkerized finish. It has a bushingless slide with a coned barrel for a good slide to barrel fit. It has a single spring over a steel guide rod recoil spring system. set of steel Novak-style combat sights.beavertail grip safety and skeletonized Commander-style hammer. The feed ramp is polished, extended ambidextrous safety.The safety on the Crusader Compact is well-designed, and is securely held in place with the slotted pin method, instead of relying upon the right-hand grip panel to hold the safety in place.
    Information taken from gunblast.com NO OWNERSHIP IMPLIED!

    Weight is around 35.6 ounces, forged steel parts. Magazine well is beveled for easy insertion.

    I spent a few weeks reading up on the firearm, a lot of the information came from posts/threads on the 1911 forums. They all say it and the Rock Island's are outstanding firearms. I have no idea if all of the above specs are good or not, but they(people on the 1911 forums) say the above specs/parts are good. It also has a drilled trigger(Not sure of the tech term for it, the trigger has holes in it?)

    Oh, the price MSRP is around $555, but I got mine new for $450. Bottom line is I had the 1911 fever BAD and wanted one with out needing to win the lotto first. I'm ordering 1k rounds and when she becomes mine I'm going to put all 1k through her in a day before I carry her.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  5. #4
    the 40 cal. is not much different then the .45 , I think the 40 has a little bit more muzzle flip !

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy bird View Post
    the 40 cal. is not much different then the .45 , I think the 40 has a little bit more muzzle flip !
    Good to know thanks for the information. This gun is also all steel, whereas the 40 was a polymer gun so that should help.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  7. #6
    You will notice that the recoil of a 45 is more of a push whereas the 40 feel a bit "snappy" if that makes any sense. I have an old Star PD in 45 ACP. It has an aluminum frame so it is a fairly light pistol but never uncomfortable to shoot. I retired that as my carry gun once I got my first full size 1911 only because I didn't want to wear it out since it was never meant to be shot a lot. I have a Kahr 40 as my summer carry piece, kind of hard to stash a full size 1911 under just a t-shirt
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by NRA Lifer and Proud View Post
    You will notice that the recoil of a 45 is more of a push whereas the 40 feel a bit "snappy" if that makes any sense. I have an old Star PD in 45 ACP. It has an aluminum frame so it is a fairly light pistol but never uncomfortable to shoot. I retired that as my carry gun once I got my first full size 1911 only because I didn't want to wear it out since it was never meant to be shot a lot. I have a Kahr 40 as my summer carry piece, kind of hard to stash a full size 1911 under just a t-shirt
    I have somethings picked out for it already, let me run them by you. Pearce Officer Model Finger Groove inserts,Rosewood Burgundy Dymondwood Compact Grips - Double Diamond Checkered(From, Rosewood Burgundy Dymondwood Compact Grips - Double Diamond Checkered),
    Compact Size Frame Savers. I have to wait till Kimber opens on Monday to ask them if their meprolight night sights will fit on this model. I have googled the crap out of it and I cant find an answer. Can I use the forward slant, Meprolight Tritium sights? Or does it have to be a a tactical wedge style sight? As you can see in the above video it has black on black style novak sights on it now.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    I have somethings picked out for it already, let me run them by you. Pearce Officer Model Finger Groove inserts,Rosewood Burgundy Dymondwood Compact Grips - Double Diamond Checkered(From, Rosewood Burgundy Dymondwood Compact Grips - Double Diamond Checkered),
    Compact Size Frame Savers. I have to wait till Kimber opens on Monday to ask them if their meprolight night sights will fit on this model. I have googled the crap out of it and I cant find an answer. Can I use the forward slant, Meprolight Tritium sights? Or does it have to be a a tactical wedge style sight? As you can see in the above video it has black on black style novak sights on it now.
    Grips are a very personal choice. Finger grooved ones do not fit my hands, the dang grooves never seem to line up with my fingers, but I do love non-finger grooved Pachmayer grips.

    As for sights, since I have never had one of your pistols to work with calling Kimber should answer your questions but they are also personal choices depending on your eyesight and such. If you have a way of measuring each side of the dovetail cut in the slide, for both front and rear sights, you can give them those dimensions so they don't have to guess just how it was cut. Measure both sides as there is a difference.
    Black on black has never much a problem for me but others can find them hard to pick up.

  10. #9
    handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy bird View Post
    the 40 cal. is not much different then the .45 , I think the 40 has a little bit more muzzle flip !
    I would agree with that. The .40 has a fast recoil impulse, like a 9mm, just heavier. I find the .45acp more of a push to the hand than my .40's. There is a guy I work with that has that make of .45, and as far as I know it has worked fine for him.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    I would agree with that. The .40 has a fast recoil impulse, like a 9mm, just heavier. I find the .45acp more of a push to the hand than my .40's. There is a guy I work with that has that make of .45, and as far as I know it has worked fine for him.
    Well as i stated above I plan on dumping 1000 rounds through it in a day at the range. I have to bulk 500 round boxes coming and a box or two of my EDC ammo to run through it. I have always wanted finger groove grips but have never owned a firearm that would allow me to install them. I have midsize hands, so we will see if they fit or not. But hey if they don't fit, that's an easy fix LOL.

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast