Night sights? All I have is the specs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night sights? All I have is the specs?

Night sights? All I have is the specs?

So I have been searching for night sights to install on my new 1911. Long story short I can't find any(so far) that will fit it. I called the company who makes the firearm and all they gave me was the specs as follows. Front sight width .330x65 degree angle,Hight .085 high. Rear sight, width .487x65 degree angle.

At this point I know I'll have to have it a gunsmith install any sight I buy. Does anyone know of any sights that come close to the above? I really like the Kimber forward slant night sights.

Really, less then impressed with Kimbers customer service.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

3. You need to know how wide the tenons are for the rear and front sights -if your front sight isn't staked in. If the front sight is staked in, all you need is a staking tool to mount it and alignment isn't an issue because it is held in place by a couple holes that are in line with the bore. If I remember correctly, there's 2 different widths that are/were commonly used for the rear sight rear sight tenon and you need to match that width with any replacement sight you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    Really, less then impressed with Kimbers customer service.
    Is the new 1911 a Kimber?

Should have gotten yourself a Glock instead, replacing the stock sights with just about anyother brand of sights is realy simple.

If you are near Manchester you can go into Manchester Firing Line, they might be able to help you. I did lots of business with them when I lived in NH.
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Lifer and Proud View Post
    If you are near Manchester you can go into Manchester Firing Line, they might be able to help you. I did lots of business with them when I lived in NH.
    No, It's about an hour and half to two hours away. I have been in there a couple times(the range). I try and avoid roachcester any chance I get. Both of the owners of the shop I'm buying it from are gunsmiths so it should not be a problem. Plus Rugers is five feet from their shop, so they are able to use most of their bigger mills/cnc stuff. Maybe I'll just give it to my wife and have her take it to work and see if they can do it(she works at Rugers).

I wanted to find a site set that would fit with little smithing needed. Cut down on how much I'll have to pay for them to install them. If it's a simple slide on and off, they install them for free.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    You need to know how wide the tenons are for the rear and front sights -if your front sight isn't staked in. If the front sight is staked in, all you need is a staking tool to mount it and alignment isn't an issue because it is held in place by a couple holes that are in line with the bore. If I remember correctly, there's 2 different widths that are/were commonly used for the rear sight rear sight tenon and you need to match that width with any replacement sight you buy.
    The sites on it now(stock) are black on black style Novak sights. The rear site has what looks to be a small hex screw in the center holding it on. It sits in a channel milled into the slide,all they would tell me is the rear sight width is .487x 65 degree of angel. The front sight also sits in a channel and the width is .330x 65 degree of angle and .085 high. I have no idea what style of dovetail cut it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortStop View Post
    Is the new 1911 a Kimber?
    No, but the sights would have been. If they fluff you off over something like sites, I would hate to see what they do with a real problem. Not going to drop the cash on a 1k 1911 till I know if 1911's are for me. Start off with a basic model and work up from there. Go all out and I end up hating the 1911 and I'm out 1k(well $400-$500, most places give you 40% book, be around $600)

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    Should have gotten yourself a Glock instead, replacing the stock sights with just about anyother brand of sights is realy simple.
    All of my past firearms have been as easy as that(S&WM&P's Ruger SR9C etc..) With the higher end 1911's it's as easy as that as well(so I have read).

Since the sights are already Novaks have you checked their website to see if there is anything there you like?
    Find sights for your pistol
    Here is the link to the search page JIC ...
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast