Guns at home more likely to be used stupidly than in self-defense [ARTICLE] - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns at home more likely to be used stupidly than in self-defense [ARTICLE]

The medical field needs quit wasting their time on these gun studies. It has nothing to do with medicine. They need to be working on real problems like cancer and diabetes.
    "When you have to shoot...shoot, don't talk."---Tuco Benedicto Pacífico Juan María Ramírez (aka "The Rat")From The Good the Bad and the Ugly.

I got a kick out of the "banana" mention :)
    What clowns like this guy never acknowledge is the suicide statistics of the US vs Japan. Japan is virtually gun free, but has a suicide rate twice that of the USA. ARS guy implies (to put it politely) that it's higher in the USA because of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepFreak View Post
    John Lott and others have disproven this time and time again.
    Citing John Lott doesn't help. He has about as much credibility about gun facts as Donald Trump has about birth certificates.

There is no reason to fear David Hemenway's statistics because the conclusions he draws from them are not logical. Referring to Lott just allows the anti-gun extremists to focus the issue on Lott's inadequacies rather than the illogic of Hemenway's conclusion.

We can easily deal with illogical conclusions without getting bogged down in arguments over the viability of the statistics. As many have already noted, statistics can be massaged to promote any agenda - that is equally true about pro-gun stats as it is about anti-gun stats.

Like Lott, Hemenway is not a pure neutral collector of information - he and Lott are agenda driven and it shows in their statistical conclusions and statistical machinations.

We can better promote gun issues by not falling into those traps.

I truly believe that I'm far more likely to injure myself by tripping over my golf clubs than to hit a hole-in-one with them. Still, I will not be getting rid of my clubs any time soon.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Hard to regulate stupid.
    Libs do it all the time.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Hard to regulate stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy62 View Post
    Libs do it all the time.LOL
    It's not just the libs. Seems like everytime you turn around someone is trying to regulate stupidity or blame someone else for their stupidity. In fact I often see it on this board. There is no law against being stupid, only acting stupid but what acting stupid is not defined and varies all over the place. What may be stupidity in one person's opinion is normal activity in another's. For instance trying to jump a motorcycle over 15 school buses borders on stupidity to me and we base whether it is stupid or not on the results. Carrying a gun without a safety is perfectly fine until something happens then we claim it was stupid.

8. Quote Originally Posted by walther380 View Post
    Unfortunately one can pull data in a way to make it look however they want.
    Ahhh....the art of statistical analysis. :)

Don

That artical was just typical lib fear mongering!! The fact that some maybe true they want throw out any real #'s like how many 15 to 24 yr olds that were killed had illegal firearms, how many homicides involving 5 to 14 yr olds in accidental shooting were with legal/illegal guns!! Lib's love to get on that soap box and throw out those curve balls twisting the facts.

I'm with you JeepFreak, Many have disproven most everything if not everything in that artical with real number facts over and over!
    NRA Life Memeber, GOA, CCRKBA, SAF, OPHA, OFBA, FTA

Chickasaw/Choctaw Indian

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Citing John Lott doesn't help. He has about as much credibility about gun facts as Donald Trump has about birth certificates.

There is no reason to fear David Hemenway's statistics because the conclusions he draws from them are not logical. Referring to Lott just allows the anti-gun extremists to focus the issue on Lott's inadequacies rather than the illogic of Hemenway's conclusion.

We can easily deal with illogical conclusions without getting bogged down in arguments over the viability of the statistics. As many have already noted, statistics can be massaged to promote any agenda - that is equally true about pro-gun stats as it is about anti-gun stats.

Like Lott, Hemenway is not a pure neutral collector of information - he and Lott are agenda driven and it shows in their statistical conclusions and statistical machinations.

We can better promote gun issues by not falling into those traps.
    What proof do you have that Lott's studies are BS? I hear a lot of Anti's (and you) claim that he's not credible, but I've yet to see any proof. Anybody with a little common sense can pick apart Hemenway's study, but I haven't seen anybody actually tell me where Lott's numbers are skewed or his words are tricky. If you can't show the proof, quick giving the Anti's credibility.
    Billy

It's a crap propaganda piece looking for publicity

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast