Guns at home more likely to be used stupidly than in self-defense [ARTICLE] - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Guns at home more likely to be used stupidly than in self-defense [ARTICLE]

It's probably safe to assume that the vast majority of accidental firearms discharges are due to stupidity rather than equiptment malfunction. Gun owners who treat every gun as if it were loaded and lock up all firearms to keep them out of un trainned fingers should not have this problem.

The number of BG's killed by GG's and GG's killed by BG's are deliberate shootings and I suspect the BG's killing GG's is a higher number. These shootings don't fall into the stupidity factor, being intentional actions.

The number of deliberate self shootings and spouse or family members shootings is not really stupidity related either, they should fall into the catagory of mental illness.

So if you want to compare the numbers of stupid firearms discharges, against all of the other stupidity related accidents that occure in this country IE: jet ski accidents, skiing accidents, boating and so forth... People doing stupid things in general ,,, What number do you think will be higher..... I vote for people doing stupid things....

The bottom line here is you have to compare apples to apples, or your results are meaningless
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

Quote Originally Posted by wild eyed willy View Post
    It's probably safe to assume that the vast majority of accidental firearms discharges are due to stupidity rather than equiptment malfunction. Gun owners who treat every gun as if it were loaded and lock up all firearms to keep them out of un trainned fingers should not have this problem.

The number of BG's killed by GG's and GG's killed by BG's are deliberate shootings and I suspect the BG's killing GG's is a higher number. These shootings don't fall into the stupidity factor, being intentional actions.

The number of deliberate self shootings and spouse or family members shootings is not really stupidity related either, they should fall into the catagory of mental illness.

So if you want to compare the numbers of stupid firearms discharges, against all of the other stupidity related accidents that occure in this country IE: jet ski accidents, skiing accidents, boating and so forth... People doing stupid things in general ,,, What number do you think will be higher..... I vote for people doing stupid things....

The bottom line here is you have to compare apples to apples, or your results are meaningless
    I think you make several good and valid points especially abut comparing apples to apples. The problem here is there aren't any apples, oranges or pears to compare and in fact there really isn't much way to compare anything when trying to make these types of studies. As several have pointed out that there isn't a valid definition of stupid to use in such a study nor is there a true definition of accidental vs. negligent to use. Any study related to this is going to start out biased and whoever is making the study is just going to use the data to prove their point whether it be pro or anti gun.

The best part of your response is that people do stupid things whether it is with guns, cars, boats or climbing a mountain. That is just a fact that exists no matter what your definition of stupid is. I don't think it matters what facts you use or what you want to study the odds of someone doing something extraordinarily stupid far outweigh the likelyhood of them doing something extraordinarily good.

Yep. We might as well ban stairs, if our REAL intent is for public safety. The "falling down stairs" deaths are roughly the same for ALL gunfire deaths, per annum.

We won't go into the "tool" that is the number one killer in the US.... the motor vehicle. (Diabolical laughter here.)

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Case of point: Some five or so years ago we had a heck of a nasty wind storm go through the area. Trees down, power out, sounded like a freight train going through, they never DID prove a tornado. At any rate, despite it being midday of a workweek, not a single soul was harmed by the storm. Not one.

That very afternoon, however, one stalwart soul decided that he was going to start his "cleanup", he had a couple of trees down in his yard. Said citizen got out his trusty chain saw, cranked her up and started working on one of the trees down. His choice to start was a branch that had been "folded" under the trunk of the tree (therefore under considerable tension... you KNOW where this is going, right?). Unfortunately, he was standing right where the tension, if released, would naturally straighten out the branch. It let go, suddenly, and just about took off his head. (Think tomato versus baseball bat.)

So, you might ask..... is that "Death by chainsaw"? "Death by tree?" (Cases could be built for either.) "Death by stupidity?" (Also a possibility.) Seems the coroner was perplexed also, it was reported in the paper as a death due to the storm. Probably the weakest of the possibilities for reporting. But the stats remain the same for that particular storm: One death.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I believe it. Situations where self-defense is actively needed are few and far between. Stupidity is active 24/7.
    I read one of the articles from one of the federal agencies where it describes the likelihood of being the victim of a crime. When you read the article it states that by the time you are past the "retirement age" that you stand a huge percentage point. Something like in the 90 percent range.

This is not violent crime but any crime. The percentage of violent crime for that age group reaches into the 60 percent range.

This means to me that the older I get the more likely I am of being assaulted in some fashion and it did happen.

I WILL NOT be without the means of protecting myself and my family PERIOD!
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators! I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
    I read one of the articles from one of the federal agencies where it describes the likelihood of being the victim of a crime. When you read the article it states that by the time you are past the "retirement age" that you stand a huge percentage point. Something like in the 90 percent range.

This is not violent crime but any crime. The percentage of violent crime for that age group reaches into the 60 percent range.

This means to me that the older I get the more likely I am of being assaulted in some fashion and it did happen.

I WILL NOT be without the means of protecting myself and my family PERIOD!
    Never realized that the "odds" stacked up against you to that degree. It DOES come to follow, however, that BGs, ever on the lookout for "soft targets" would tend to gravitate toward those that do not look like they could defend themselves very well. Thus, the tendency for the elderly to be attacked would go up.

Would appreciate a "link" to that report if you would. I'd like to read it for my own information.

GG

It figures the storm got the blame for killing this fool.... Good story.
    Keep your paws off my Carrots and my guns
    My rules to live by Never trust a squirrel, never french kiss an ardvark and never bring Jumbo hotdogs to a nudist colony barbcue.

GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

The bogus contention that firearms availability affects suicide rates suffers from the fact that Japan is virtually gun free but has twice the suicide rate of the USA.

I my experience people intent on committing suicide will make it happen. Maybe we should out law pills, automobile, IV medications, rope, bridges, trains, water....
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast