48 45.28%
  • I would now consider buying a Glock

13 12.26%
  • It would not make any difference to me

45 42.45%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Glock if it had a safety

Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    A Pistol with a 5lb trigger pull and no safety is pure negligence. Period.

I don't understand how anyone could argue otherwise.

How did we become so negligent that the subject is even up for debate?

The Glock accidental discharges are going to be the final Nail in the Lawful Concealed Carry Coffin.

If you carry a Glock with a round in the chamber: you are a danger to yourself and others and I would really appreciate it if you would stay far away from me.
    Don't take this the wrong way but you are obviously speaking from little or no experience with these type of pistols. The only safety is between your ears!

TRIGGER SYSTEM
    The “Safe Action” system is a partly tensioned firing pin lock, which is moved further back by the trigger bar when the trigger is pulled.
    When the trigger is pulled, 3 safety features are automatically deactivated one after another. When doing so, the trigger bar is deflected downward by the connector and the firing pin is released under full load. When the trigger is released, all three safety features re-engage and the GLOCK pistol is automatically secured again.
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol,
    Personal Protection In The Home
    MA State Police Certified Instructor

I bought Glocks without external safetys. No problems. I'm very comfortable carrying daily with one in the chamber. My finger stays off the trigger until my muzzle is on target. I see no need for an additional safety.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    This is the part that I do not understand. If Glock made a model with all the same features but added a manual safety why would you consider it different. If you feel comfortable with carrying a Glock now why would you feel it necessary to use the safety and reject the gun because of that and choose one without a safety over one with a safety?
    I am used to carrying the Glock as it is. What if I had a Glock with a manual safety and I was carrying it with the safety off and in the heat of the moment I drew and the safety had be activated accidentally. I could get killed because of the safety. If I bought a manual safety Glock and also had standard Glock. I would have two almost identical weapons that work differentally. That is something that can get you killed. If I got a manual safety Glock, I'd replace all of my existing Glock to keep them all the same.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    I am used to carrying the Glock as it is. What if I had a Glock with a manual safety and I was carrying it with the safety off and in the heat of the moment I drew and the safety had be activated accidentally. I could get killed because of the safety. If I bought a manual safety Glock and also had standard Glock. I would have two almost identical weapons that work differentally. That is something that can get you killed. If I got a manual safety Glock, I'd replace all of my existing Glock to keep them all the same.
    If the safety were designed right this won't be an issue. On the 1911, Browning Hi-Power, H&K USP and most other guns with frame-mounted safeties, the safety is designed so that as you drop your thumb into firing position it sweeps off the safety pretty much automatically (though you have to actually do it - it won't come off by accident). This is why I don't like slide-mounted safeties and the frame-mounted safety on the Kahr PM9 @ssachussets edition - it sweeps the wrong way and is un-natural to deactivate (though in all honesty most slide mounted safeties I am aware of are on DA/SA guns and are mainly used as a decocker).

Like I said above - I don't consider the Glock unsafe if handled properly. I may still wind up with one as my next firearms purchase. However, if it had a well-designed safety I would probably be more likely to buy one.

6. Nope. Still wouldn't buy one.

They don't point naturally for me. Since it's not a target pistol but a gun designed for self defense shooting, it HAS to point naturally in MY hand for me to buy one.

The safety or lack of one isn't an issue to me. IF, by some chance, I found a model Glock that fit my hand well and pointed naturally, I'd just have a Glock armorer up the trigger pull to 8 pounds or more. All of my DA wheel guns have trigger pulls of 8 pounds or more (including a couple in the 10 to 12 pound range) and I feel completely comfortable with them. That shorter, 5 pound trigger pull, on the other hand, is too light for my tastes. One of my Combat Commanders just so happens to have a 5 pound trigger pull. I wouldn't even consider carrying it with the safety off and grip safety tied down and I would be considered to be acting in a negligent manner if I did. If I wouldn't carry that Colt in that manner, why would I consider carrying a Glock with the same weight trigger pull?

i have carried a kahr (no manual safety) with a round in the chamber for five years. no accidental firings. a good holster is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    They don't point naturally for me. Since it's not a target pistol but a gun designed for self defense shooting, it HAS to point naturally in MY hand for me to buy one.
    Well that is a personal preference. My Glock are great, my little sister has a XD and I have the same grip angle issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    One of my Combat Commanders just so happens to have a 5 pound trigger pull. I wouldn't even consider carrying it with the safety off and grip safety tied down and I would be considered to be acting in a negligent manner if I did. If I wouldn't carry that Colt in that manner, why would I consider carrying a Glock with the same weight trigger pull?
    I don't think anyone mentioned disabling anything, but I understand the point that your making as if the Colt was designed like the Glock without the safteies that you wouldn't feel safe carrying it. That is what it always boils down too. Do what you feel is safe for you. If someone feels that they need a safety on their gun than go for it, but don't mandate me to carry your way because of a feeling you have that I'm unsafe because of the type of firearm I choose to carry.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone and what they want to carry. I like the Glock as it is the way they are today. These comments are just my personal opinion posted here for people to see. I'm not trying to insult anyone.

I'm glad that there is a forum as great as this one where we can talk about things like this.
    Kershaw Shallot 1840, Kel-Tec P-3at, Kel-Tec PF-9, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible), Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge.

9. Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    I don't think anyone mentioned disabling anything, but I understand the point that your making as if the Colt was designed like the Glock without the safteies that you wouldn't feel safe carrying it. That is what it always boils down too. Do what you feel is safe for you. If someone feels that they need a safety on their gun than go for it, but don't mandate me to carry your way because of a feeling you have that I'm unsafe because of the type of firearm I choose to carry.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone and what they want to carry. I like the Glock as it is the way they are today. These comments are just my personal opinion posted here for people to see. I'm not trying to insult anyone.

I'm glad that there is a forum as great as this one where we can talk about things like this.
    IF I was to leave the thumb safety off that Commander AND tie down the grip safety, then all that is keeping it from firing is 5 pounds of pressure on the trigger, just like a Glock. The Glock would fire with 5 pounds of rearward pressure on the trigger, just like the 1911 could fire under those circumstances. The only major difference is the fact that a Glock trigger is a longer stroke under 5 pound of pressure than the 1911 (and the gun I'm talking about in my previous example has a LOT of take up and overtravel slop in the trigger).

Edit
    Yes, I know about the 'trigger safety' and do you really think that little lever in the center of the trigger is gonna stop the gun from going off EVERY TIME? If you snag just the edge of the trigger, yes, it would stop the gun from firing but if something goes over half way across the trigger face, it can be disengaged and the gun goes BANG.

End Edit

I'm not concerned with the 5 pound trigger pull in and of itself. I've carried and own a BUNCH of guns with MUCH lighter trigger pulls. I'm not concerned with the lack of a manual safety in and of itself. I own several guns with either NO manual safety or that I routinely carry with the manual safety disengaged. I'm also not concerned over the length of the trigger stroke in and of itself. I also own probably 20 pistols alone that have a shorter trigger stroke than your average Glock.

BUT
    When you combine the 3 (trigger pull weight, length of trigger stroke and the lack of a manual safety) I grow concerned.

Can it be carried safely? Sure. It's done every day.

Are you gonna see ME doin' it? Nope. Not gonna happen. Not without a heavier trigger pull (8 pound minimum and, if it can be done so that it pulls smoothly without stacking, a 10 or 12 pound pull would be fine with me) being put into the gun or a dependable manual safety or BOTH.

10. It is definitely a personal choice!!

For me it'll make any handgun better. I you don't like a safety lever just leave off (without) safety.

That's why I installed the Caminolli safety on mine!!! It is small and very easy operate and if you ever change our mind, just ake it out and your Glock will be the same as before.

11. I voted makes no difference. Although my REAL answer would be, "Not if I had to pay extra for it!" I carry a Taurus PT-145. The safety is almost never engaged on it. The only time the safety goes on is inserting it into my Fobus paddle holster, or removing it from the holster for an "administrative" reason such as putting the gun in the glove compartment while on school premises. All other times the safety is off anyways:

Load gun. Put safety lever on. Put gun into holster. Flip safety lever off. Carry away...
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast