• I would not have one that I had to use a maual safety

48 45.28%
  • I would now consider buying a Glock

13 12.26%
  • It would not make any difference to me

45 42.45%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Glock if it had a safety

I actually would carry a Glock with a grip safety, which is essentially what my XDM 3.8 is, but with a lighter trigger pull.

You 1911 guys seem to forget that the 1911 was originally designed without the manual thumb safety. The grip safety was the only safety thought to be needed by the inventor. It was the Army who insisted on the thumb safety being added.

What's next, demanding a safety on a lever action rifle or D/A revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
    I have a lever action rifle, a pump action rifle and an old single barrel shotgun that all have exposed hammers and what is known as a half cock safety. One lever action rifle that my father owned had a slide button trigger safety. I don't know of any D/A revolvers with a safety. In fact every long gun I have ever seen had some kind of a safety but I haven't seen them all.

Oh, I should have mentioned in my post that the reason I carry my Walther hammer down, empty chamber is because the safety is too hard for me to switch. It's stiff and my tiny hands can't reach it easily. So I figure rather than fumbling with the gun, I might be better off trying to rack a round and being ready to go.

But I also carry in a bag, which is one reason a Glock might make me nervous. What if I bumped it wrong or something? I think in a holster it's a pretty sure thing, but for those of us who carry in a bag or backpack, it's a different set of circumstances. it's also not doing us as much good as if we were to carry on the hip/waist, for sure.

7. Quote Originally Posted by sourdough44 View Post
    Safeties have been put on lever action rifles for 20 years. I've got a 100th Anniversary '94 that's got 2- a rebounding hammer and a cross bolt safety.

As for the double action revolver, no it doesn't need a safety. The long trigger stroke and the 8 pounds or most likely more (sometimes a LOT more) trigger pull is what keeps them from firing. Besides, most folks can't hit the side of a barn with a wheelgun shooting DAO. Why? Because it's too 'hard' (whether they just mean the trigger is too hard to pull back or that it's too hard to figger out how to hold the sights on the target as they pull the trigger, I don't know).

Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    A Pistol with a 5lb trigger pull and no safety is pure negligence. Period.

I don't understand how anyone could argue otherwise.
    Very simply, People trained properly AND PRACTICE IT will not have ND's. If you carry a gun carry it in a manner where the trigger is not accessible, People like that moron with the worn piece of leather that was supposed to be a holster are idiots, if they shoot themselves....they deserved it.

How did we become so negligent that the subject is even up for debate?
    Who is this "we" I'm not negligent at all, as most aren't

The Glock accidental discharges are going to be the final Nail in the Lawful Concealed Carry Coffin.
    First all all the "Glock" ADs? I wan't aware that all the other guns without manual safety's weren't an issue. Just more glock bashing, and no the final nail in concealed carry is people like you that feel the need to chance things because your OPINION is that something is unsafe so you'll screw with the laws to "protect me from myself and others"

If you carry a Glock with a round in the chamber: you are a danger to yourself and others and I would really appreciate it if you would stay far away from me.
    No, a danger would be walking around with an unloaded gun because someone else doesn't know how to carry one properly.

I wouldn't buy a glock now because if the round doesn't go off on the first hit of the firing pin then you have to rack the slide. I'd rather pull the trigger again and give it another go. I've never had a round not go off. I've had a couple soft hits on hard primers. Doesn't happen much but I'd rather stay on target and keep squeezing. If glock changes that and the safety thing I would buy. I will say they are great guns to shoot but I wouldn't be comfortable carrying one.

Doesn't make any difference to me, if I wanted something so b*tt ugly with me all the time I'd hang out with my MIL more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post
    Doesn't make any difference to me, if I wanted something so b*tt ugly with me all the time I'd hang out with my MIL more often.
    That was not nice, maybe true but not nice. I'd be willing to bet that your MIL looks better than a Glock. Heck even Phyllis Diller and Joan Rivers look better than Glocks and all of them are plastic.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast