• I would not have one that I had to use a maual safety

48 45.28%
  • I would now consider buying a Glock

13 12.26%
  • It would not make any difference to me

45 42.45%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Glock if it had a safety

I carry a CZ75B it is a DA/SA gun that has a safety. The safety will only engage if the gun is fully cocked. According to the manual it is designed to be carried on the half cock notch and the safety is to be used if you want to pause between shots (presumably on a range?) I never use the safety on that gun because I don't ever want to have a brain fart in an emergency.

DISCLAIMER I AM FULLY AWARE THAT THE NEXT PARAGRAPH DISCUSSES EXTREMELY UNSAFE GUN HANDLING PRACTICES. THE PARAGRAPH IS A FACTUAL RECOUNT OF EVENTS THAT REALLY HAPPENED AND IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF SUCH ACTIONS

When I first started carrying a gun I carried a S&W model 915 (no safety per se it had a decocker) I thought that the way to carry such a gun was cocked w/ the retention strap of your holster between the hammer and the firing pin. On that particular gun this meant I was walking around w/ a gun that was cocked and unlocked While I am completely aware that this is a stupid thing to do I have to admit that the gun never went off while a carried it that way
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I carry a CZ75B it is a DA/SA gun that has a safety. The safety will only engage if the gun is fully cocked. According to the manual it is designed to be carried on the half cock notch and the safety is to be used if you want to pause between shots (presumably on a range?) I never use the safety on that gun because I don't ever want to have a brain fart in an emergency.
    Does the half-cock notch just give you a lighter DA pull? How do you get it to half-cock (does it have a decocker)? I'm not familiar with the CZ pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Tiger View Post
    Does the half-cock notch just give you a lighter DA pull? How do you get it to half-cock (does it have a decocker)? I'm not familiar with the CZ pistols.
    Does the half-cock notch just give you a lighter DA pull?

Yes and in my case it also serves as a loaded chamber indicator because that's the only time that hammer is like that

How do you get it to half-cock

I lower the hammer

does it have a decocker

Some of the newer models do but mine does not
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

Treo brings up some good thoughts. If you have a DA/SA revolver what is the difference between carrying it in the cocked position vs. the uncocked position. Would anyone carry one around with the hammer cocked? Everyone would say we are crazy but in reality what is the difference. Actually the only difference is the trigger pull weight and length. Those are the two things that we rely on as our safety on guns without a safety. So do we think that 4lbs is enough or do we need to go to 8lbs. How about 2lbs. but a long trigger pull. We think nothing of carrying a revolver with the hammer down but would not dare carry one with the hammer cocked. How about if the trigger was 5lbs. with the hammer cocked. Would you feel safe with it cocked then?

6. FN1910... Obviously, a cocked revolver becomes a single action pistol.. just like a cocked 1911 if all safeties were removed. All you are doing when you pull the trigger is dropping the hammer. The trigger on my G21 (even with its 3.5 lb disconnector) has to first move the firing pin rearward, before it is released. Pull length is long enough to minimize an accidental discharge. The possibility still exists of course. It "feels" totally different. The G21 is not my carry gun BTW. I carry a stock G30 w/ 5.5 lb disconnector, or my S&W 642.
    To address your question about carrying a revolver cocked.... no, I wouldn't. My Python and the S&W 29 Classic DX have amazingly light triggers right out of the box. (I would carry them if I could wear a shoulder holster, a big coat, and my hearing muffs all of the time, but that might arouse suspicion, even here in Texas)
    Bottom line IMO .... without considerable, real-scenario training, none of us really knows how well we would react in a sudden, stressful, life threatening situation.
    Bottom line for me personally... I used to hate Glocks because of their grips, and was a die hard 1911 owner and shooter until the day I shot a tricked out G21 with the Robar grip reduction. I still have my 1911's, but carry Glocks. I have never (ever) had one single malfunction with my G21 in over 4,000+ rounds with every kind of ammo. No, I don't work for Glock or Robar. I work for a pharmaceutical company.
    Glocks are what they are.... and I love 'em.
    Thanks for the interesting questions you posed.

7. Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    Never could understand why police gravitate to that ugly hand sap. justin glock must throw cold water in his face every day just to continue to believe."Theres One Born Every Minute!".
    I'd never own a Glock anyway unless it were given to me and even then I would sell it or trade it for almost anything else. Glocks remind me of the butt ugly toy guns (rubber bands were our 'ammo') that my brother and I used to make out of two pieces of wood when we were little boys.

Seems this debate will never end :)

As to the OP's poll: I purchased a Springfield XD as my primary carry handgun. Biggest reason was because of two safeties - trigger, and grip. Also the two indicators: loaded and cocked.

I won't carry a semi-automatic handgun on a daily basis unless it has a heavy trigger, or some sort of safety. I prefer a "don't think" safety - like the XD's grip safety, but I also carry a 1911, utilizing both grip and thumb safety. IMO, I think non-safety pistols - such as the Glock, Khar and others are more suitable for home defense or law enforcement.

As for the "Safety between the ears" Yes, I agree that is very true, but sometimes memory fails - even the best.

This being said, I also have a Ruger LCP, that I carry daily as a BUG, but this pistol has a "revolver-type" long hard trigger. It stays in a pocket holster, as protecting the trigger crucial to safety.

Carry on :)
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    Omigosh were you ever right! I got one of those "When they pry your cold, dead fingers off your gun" replies. I tried to add in that my Walther's safety is too stiff to be trusted, but alas it was too late!
    There's a reason people are saying that. If you are carrying a gun for self defense you need to carry a gun that is suitable for that purpose. If the gun you're carrying is defective such that you can't carry it the way it was designed to be carried then you need another gun.

Quote Originally Posted by cougaram View Post
    I'd never own a Glock anyway unless it were given to me and even then I would sell it or trade it for almost anything else. Glocks remind me of the butt ugly toy guns (rubber bands were our 'ammo') that my brother and I used to make out of two pieces of wood when we were little boys.
    "Weapons should be hardy, not decorative.." -Miyamoto Musashi

11. Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    "Weapons should be hardy, not decorative.." -Miyamoto Musashi
    Well, actually, all my 1911's, Berettas, my Browning Hi Power, and the rest (with my new Beretta PX4 in .40 S&W being my favorite) are all quite 'hardy' and indeed 'decorative'. (and they don't look like two pieces of wood joined together. )

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast