• I would not have one that I had to use a maual safety

48 45.28%
  • I would now consider buying a Glock

13 12.26%
  • It would not make any difference to me

45 42.45%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a Glock if it had a safety

The Glock's grip angle bothers me most but without a nice external safety I can manipulate it's a no-buy for me. I like steel in my firearms, too. The Glock just isn't for me and I wouldn't buy it if it did have a manually safety.

Quote Originally Posted by bob16066 View Post
    A Pistol with a 5lb trigger pull and no safety is pure negligence. Period.

I don't understand how anyone could argue otherwise.

How did we become so negligent that the subject is even up for debate?

The Glock accidental discharges are going to be the final Nail in the Lawful Concealed Carry Coffin.

If you carry a Glock with a round in the chamber: you are a danger to yourself and others and I would really appreciate it if you would stay far away from me.
    Would it be safe to say you feel the same about all revolvers then as well...?

You thinking seems silly to me, especially since there is 3 safeties on a GLOCK. The 4th safety is the trigger finger.

Silly or not, if your not comfortable, I can still respect your personal feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by VTLO910 View Post
    Would it be safe to say you feel the same about all revolvers then as well...?

You thinking seems silly to me, especially since there is 3 safeties on a GLOCK. The 4th safety is the trigger finger.

Silly or not, if your not comfortable, I can still respect your personal feelings.
    I have yet to see a revolver with a 5 lb. trigger on first pull... :|
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

The main reason I haven't bought a Glock is I prefer the feel of the XD (m) and 24/7 ProC. (My two PCWs)

It is "ONLY" my personal opinion (based on experience and all the stories of GLS); but some people should NOT own a Glock (or similer) handgun; until they have had enough training and practice to subconsciously instill proper trigger discipline.

Since I began working with a lot of beginners in CWP and NRA classes I've also come to the "personal" belief that a Glock is NOT the best HG for beginners. Nor, is it the best choice for some other more experienced shooters I've been around.

A "Glock" in the hands of an inexperienced and/or UN-disciplined shooter, makes every instructor, coach & RSO I know more nervous than any other single thing I can think of when it comes to training new people on the firing line.

6. Don't confuse him with the facts, Danno. He's just regurgitating part of the standard Glock lover's defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Don't confuse him with the facts, Danno. He's just regurgitating part of the standard Glock lover's defense.
    I feel the same way for all DAO type pistols, not just GLOCKs.

The defense of revolvers having a heavier trigger pull is not even being compared. Whether a revolver or a Semi-Auto pistol, both should have a sturdy holster that adequately covers and protects the trigger.

If you have your finger on the trigger of a revolver or a semi-auto, you should have already made the choice that you are going to shoot that pistol. So no matter if the trigger was 1lb or 15lbs should not make any difference.

Also, ANY external safety requires an extra step to be taken in a defensive situation. While some pistols are made ergonomically friendly, and with enough practice a person can draw and manipulate that safety simultaneously, MOST shooters DO NOT practice this.

Without an exact link to the FBI statistics, we know that most gunfights are over in a matter of seconds, I believe 3 seconds is the most common average.

Get a shot timer, and time yourself from concealed carry... Draw, manipulate the Safety, and round on target... I'm not even including a sight picture as at contact distance it is unlikely you will even do this or have time to do this...

I'll bet almost everyone who does not train regularly will not be able to do all of this in under 1.5 seconds.

Now imagine the BG already has his pistol out. Your already at a disadvantage. Can you Draw, manipulate the safety, and place a round on target before his can squeeze the trigger?

I suggest you try this with Airsoft.

Also, can you deal with the loss of fine motor skills when your heart rate rises...?

Do 40 jumping jacks, then Draw, manipulate the Safety, and round on target... Notice any difference... If you train regularly, the difference should be minimal if any... If you do not train regularly, you may be surprised.

To me an external safety makes about as much sense as not carrying a round in the chamber. All your doing is adding time, in a situation where time is the one thing you don't have enough of...

Please note, that this is not a pissing contest. If you object to what is being said here, I ask that you at least try the above recommendations before making an uneducated response. No one is the same, and there is of course persons who do not fall into the statements above, but you will find that most trainers will agree with me on the response timing between someone who practices regularly vs. someone who does not.

I also do not view external safeties as an enemy, but if you are carrying a pistol for self defense, I do see it as a hindrance, especially when a firearm does not fit that particular person or the ergonomics do not make the controls easy to use. If you have a pistol for sporting purposes, I see the external safety as a great thing, although I would never lay down a loaded pistol without good reason.

It may also be noted that I am a NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor. So I'm not just a person with an uneducated opinion, I have training from, and well beyond the NRA.

One last note. Before I gained experience and became better educated, I felt that I indeed, needed to have an external safety. So I thought I would have never owned a GLOCK. I also hated GLOCKs for many other reasons. GLOCKs are now my favorite pistols and daily carry. The best thing you can do for yourself is to keep your mind open.
    " I carry a gun because cops are too heavy" ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I have yet to see a revolver with a 5 lb. trigger on first pull... :|
    I had one that was around 6 lbs in double-action.

M&P

I am an M&P owner and like them better, but you do not need to add another safety to a "Safe Action" pistol. If you really need another safety may I suggested some defensive handgun courses to reinforce your skills and therefore the mystical (not mythical) safety in your brain.
    Those that think we need to add more safeties are on the first rung of the Brady campaign ladder...

I've had them all in both revolvers and auto's, never had any problem with trigger pull or a safety on any gun. They all went bang every time, no problem. The only gun I've ever been "uncomfortable" with was a derringer.
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

I have carried Glocks for years. If you are competent with a pistol you should have no problem with a Glock. The safety that comes OEM is sufficient if you know what your doing, if you dont -no safety's manual or otherwise will prevent you from shooting yourself.I carry a M36-only 6 rounds, 230gr HP and I can drive nails with it as I shoot regularly. Not enough people shoot on a regular basis, you dont know your weapon, learn how it works. I dont care if you kill yourself cause your lazy, just dont take the rest of us with you

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast