.357, 45 or 10mm? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .357, 45 or 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Horkos View Post
    For target, i would go with the .45. 10mm is more expensive and harder to find, at least in my area. And thats a substantial pow just for some none living lead sponges. Personally, strictly target shooting i would go with a 6 inch revolver and sling .38s all day. Just my 2 cents.
    10mm ammo is more expensive, but I order most of my ammo online so finding it isn't as big a problem. The price is an issue.

I do have a few S&W revolvers. A 1909 .38 special, 22/32 kit gun, 18-4, and a 442 which I carry. That is one reason why I am considering the .357 so I can save money and use .38 special as well as .357 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeAgain View Post
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357, 3 different 45's and prefer to carry and use my 45's in home defense. The .357 is used mostly for hunting. The home defense/personal defense rounds are Hydra Shok in 180gr. For routine target practice 180 gr ball rounds that I reload. Don't know if this helps you any, but the choice is always there.
    I buy S&W revolvers, but I have fired Rugers before. Really nice guns. For home defense/target practice which is better, .357 or .45?

Quote Originally Posted by NRA UR2 View Post
    There isn't a gun or caliber I don't like but I have a special fondness for the 610. Right out of the box it felt natural in my hand.And two excellent cartridges to boot. Good for everything except Carry...just too heavy for my likes.
    610 looked like a good choice. 10mm in a revolver, and 40 S&W with moonclips. While I like revolvers (and have several of them), I am leaning more towards a semi this time. I won't be carrying this gun, just use it for target practice and perhaps home defense.

Quote Originally Posted by 442js View Post
    I probably would go with a S&W 686 or 627 if I go with the .357. I have looked into ammo prices, and 10mm is more expensive. As you said .45 is more readily available which probably also means the price of ammo isn't going to be as high as 10mm.

I have fired .45s before, but not a 10mm. I do wonder about the recoil.
    I shot my cousins Colt Double Eagle in 10mm .... other than the slide speed being incredibly fast I found the recoil to be tolerable. I have a Ruger Redhawk in .480 and I found that to be heavier in the recoil department. Each person has their own level of tolerance to recoil though. Maybe you can rent a 10mm at a local range and see if it bothers you.
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Lifer and Proud View Post
    I shot my cousins Colt Double Eagle in 10mm .... other than the slide speed being incredibly fast I found the recoil to be tolerable. I have a Ruger Redhawk in .480 and I found that to be heavier in the recoil department. Each person has their own level of tolerance to recoil though. Maybe you can rent a 10mm at a local range and see if it bothers you.
    Most of the gun shops don't have any 10mm in stock, and the ones with ranges I haven't been able to find a 10mm to rent. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be as popular as the other calibers I mentioned. I go back and forth between the 10mm and .45 as there are good reasons to go with each caliber. I have better reasons to go with the .357, but most of the S&W I see are more expensive than a new semi.

I was looking at the EAA Witness Match in 10mm, but now thinking about it in .45 as well as looking at the .357s. I appear to be back at square one.

Quote Originally Posted by 442js View Post
    For home defense/target practice which is better, .357 or .45?
    10mm

I use the .45s but would not mind owning a S&W 1006 to match the 645.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    . My personal opinion....look for a nice S&W686 in 4". You can shoot 38spl all day long and then drop in some Federal Power Shock JHP .357 magnum rounds for defense for carry or home.
    +1 It doesn't get any better.
    In America today, it's considered worse to judge evil than to do evil. Never let these Christophobic Liberal Progressive Purveyors of Infanticide & Homosexual Perversion who always manipulate truth to be hate speech set the terms in a debate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12