.357, 45 or 10mm?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: .357, 45 or 10mm?

  1. #1

    .357, 45 or 10mm?

    I am looking to pick up either a .357, .45 or a 10mm sometime in the near future. I have some 158 grain +P 38 special for a J frame revolver which I can use in the .357 so that is a nice way of saving money by not having to buy additional ammo. If I go with the .357, I will look for a nice S&W revolver.

    I am leaning more towards a .45 or 10mm. The new gun would be more towards target shooting and perhaps home protection though I have another gun is in that role now.

    Thank you.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by 442js View Post
    I am looking to pick up either a .357, .45 or a 10mm sometime in the near future. I have some 158 grain +P 38 special for a J frame revolver which I can use in the .357 so that is a nice way of saving money by not having to buy additional ammo. If I go with the .357, I will look for a nice S&W revolver.

    I am leaning more towards a .45 or 10mm. The new gun would be more towards target shooting and perhaps home protection though I have another gun is in that role now.

    Thank you.
    You made a good point about the interchangeability with the 38spl ammo in a .357. As far as what gun you should go with, go with a gun that is comfortable in your hand, your wallet and one that you can afford to shoot to be comfortable with. My personal opinion....look for a nice S&W686 in 4". You can shoot 38spl all day long and then drop in some Federal Power Shock JHP .357 magnum rounds for defense for carry or home.

  4. #3
    .357 S&W or Taurus is a good way to go for CC. You can shoot .38 or .357, nice feature. For home or target a .45 is a really good choice for several reasons. Ammo is always available, sometimes a bargain if you shop. It has formidable stopping power if that is your intent. Takes a little getting use to in the recoil and report department, but it's worth the effort to master a .45.
    Have nothing against a .40 or 10mm, good rounds too. Boils down to a personal preference. Suggest you try both before you purchase and invest in one or the other.
    Kill them all and let God sort them out!

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, Texas, United States
    Posts
    246
    For target, i would go with the .45. 10mm is more expensive and harder to find, at least in my area. And thats a substantial pow just for some none living lead sponges. Personally, strictly target shooting i would go with a 6 inch revolver and sling .38s all day. Just my 2 cents.

  6. #5
    I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .357, 3 different 45's and prefer to carry and use my 45's in home defense. The .357 is used mostly for hunting. The home defense/personal defense rounds are Hydra Shok in 180gr. For routine target practice 180 gr ball rounds that I reload. Don't know if this helps you any, but the choice is always there.

  7. #6
    S&W 610, can use either 10mm or lower cost 40S&W rounds.

  8. Smile S&w 610

    There isn't a gun or caliber I don't like but I have a special fondness for the 610. Right out of the box it felt natural in my hand.And two excellent cartridges to boot. Good for everything except Carry...just too heavy for my likes.

  9. #8
    I'll take one of each .... oh wait .... I have more than one of each already except a 10mm ..... I need to go shopping!
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    You made a good point about the interchangeability with the 38spl ammo in a .357. As far as what gun you should go with, go with a gun that is comfortable in your hand, your wallet and one that you can afford to shoot to be comfortable with. My personal opinion....look for a nice S&W686 in 4". You can shoot 38spl all day long and then drop in some Federal Power Shock JHP .357 magnum rounds for defense for carry or home.
    If I do go with the .357, I will go with the 686 or perhaps the 627. Might also look for a 586.

    I was leaning towards 10mm, but due to cost I am back to .357 or .45. Still trying to figure out what to get.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by OUTTAHERE View Post
    .357 S&W or Taurus is a good way to go for CC. You can shoot .38 or .357, nice feature. For home or target a .45 is a really good choice for several reasons. Ammo is always available, sometimes a bargain if you shop. It has formidable stopping power if that is your intent. Takes a little getting use to in the recoil and report department, but it's worth the effort to master a .45.
    Have nothing against a .40 or 10mm, good rounds too. Boils down to a personal preference. Suggest you try both before you purchase and invest in one or the other.
    I probably would go with a S&W 686 or 627 if I go with the .357. I have looked into ammo prices, and 10mm is more expensive. As you said .45 is more readily available which probably also means the price of ammo isn't going to be as high as 10mm.

    I have fired .45s before, but not a 10mm. I do wonder about the recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast