Has anyoe used extreme shock ammo?

Thread: Has anyoe used extreme shock ammo?

Exclamation Has anyoe used extreme shock ammo?

I picked up some extreme shock 38spl ammo for the nightstand gun.

any thoughts as to performance?
    is it any good?
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

It's junk, it will inflict a shallow wound and not penetrate to the vitals.

Exotic Ammo FAQ

The Box O' Truth #23 - ExtremeShock™ Ammo and the Box O' Truth - Page 1

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Actually, I had the exact opposite problem when I used it, and that was overpenetration. Made me wonder if they were some cheapo FMJs.

~~ GOOD AMMO! ~~First off I have to say, that I initially thought it was a bunch marketing hype/crap. However, I WAS WRONG!
    I saw the "box of truth guys" test and thought OK, they proved my theory. BUT, that test is irrelevent for this kind of ammo. It is designed to function on flesh and is properly activated with moisture which the human body is 90% water.
    I know, I can't even believe I am writing this. But a friend and I did our own test.
    We were actually going out to test the Hornandy Critical Defense ammo 165 gr FTX and the Winchester Ranger subsonic 180 gr JHP. Matt Canovi recommended the Critical Defense so we, ( not ones to just take the word of even the best professionals when our lives may be on the line) wanted to test it ourselves.
    We met at the test property which is a cattle ranch and my friend Mike shows me two boxes of this Etreme Shock ammo and said lets burn these up too. (I teased him for being a sucker)
    To make a long story short, we test ammo in actual animal flesh bacause it is the only thing that really applies. We shoot at live wild pigs and coyote. The rancher has a huge problem with ferrel pigs and coyote and had just shot two pigs that morning. (He won't eat or even touch a wild pig so he calls us and we butcher what we and want shoot up the rest if we want too. I have a 9mm camp rifle and the Extreme Shock was 9mm. We were testing .40 cal that day in the other two ammo. When we get there we see three coyote, they must have smelled the two pig carcasses laying about 100 yds from his back fence. So we wait, sneak up closer, wanting to get a shot at these mutts and I drop one at about 65 yds. the coyote was maybe 45-50 lbs. we walk up to it to inspect and see several small exit wounds about 5 inches apart. It was hit broadside just behid the shoulder and about 3 inches over the heart. Now I don't believe in the whole knockdown power crap because there is to much scientific evidense against it and being a hunter I know from experiance it is all marketing crap. BUT, this coyote was knocked completely off his feet and rolled over! It looked like someone it him with a bat. I've never seen anything like it and I have shot a couple dozen coyote. Now curious, we opened the thing up and found that most of the chest cavity, both lungs and main arteries were ... liquified? ... its the only word that comes close to describing it. The wound was devestating. Yes only some pieces of the metal jacket exited the animal but there was an area of complete destruction bigger than a softball. Needless to say we tried it on one of the pigs that were already stiff. we shot through heavy bone and soft tissue with the same results. about 5 to 6 inches of penetration and a wound cavity bigger than a softball that was liquified. When we shot this carcass we noticed that the shock of the bullet would actually move / rock the carcass a little. This pig was almost 300 lbs guessing. The bullets were the Air Freedom rounds with orange tips. We both ordered some of the enhanced penetration rounds that are supposed to do the same thing but with deeper penetration. We plan on documenting our next test outing with video.
    My advice. Don't take my word for it but try them yourself. Since our test I have done more research on this ammo and I have found that people who test them on drywall, wood (box of truth guys) don't get good results. It ain't what it is designed for.
    My only concern is what happens if your ammo/gun gets wet? Will this begin to break up the tungsten bullet before its fired? Manufacturer says it is activated by water. Gonna put some in water and see what happens.

BTW the Critcal Defense ammo works great too.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by rudiepop View Post
    ~~ GOOD AMMO! ~~..............about 5 to 6 inches of penetration ..........................

Yeah I laughed too. :/ For years. Until I saw what it did to a flesh and blood body myself. I am not one to be easily impressed. It does what it says it does. I know 5 to 6 inches is not alot but the wound is not a 5 or 6 inch whole. it is more like a sphere, like some one took a 6 inch ice cream scoop and just removed that hunk of flesh and bone. reluctantly i would have to say that I will take what the 9mm round does in 5-6 inches of penetration over a through and through with a .45 JHP. If the Enhanced penetration round gives me more depth with the same size wound cavity and it passes my water test, I will probably carry this ammo. At least staggered in the clip. All I'm sayin is don't knock it till you see for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by rudiepop View Post
    Yeah I laughed too. :/ For years. Until I saw what it did to a flesh and blood body myself. I am not one to be easily impressed. It does what it says it does. I know 5 to 6 inches is not alot but the wound is not a 5 or 6 inch whole. it is more like a sphere, like some one took a 6 inch ice cream scoop and just removed that hunk of flesh and bone. reluctantly i would have to say that I will take what the 9mm round does in 5-6 inches of penetration over a through and through with a .45 JHP. If the Enhanced penetration round gives me more depth with the same size wound cavity and it passes my water test, I will probably carry this ammo. At least staggered in the clip. All I'm sayin is don't knock it till you see for yourself.
    You may want to do some research on the results of professional terminal ballistics before making recommendations based on your limited personal anecdotal experience.

Here's a start - Exotic Ammo FAQ

You may want to do some research on the results of professional terminal ballistics before making recommendations based on your limited personal anecdotal experience.

Here's a start - Exotic Ammo FAQ
    Familar with the site and it is one of the reasons I thought the ammo was a joke in the first place. So was the box of truth test. I have done enough research other than my own experience to safely say that the ammo I used does exactly what the manufacturer says it does. I have no problem recommending the ammo on that basis. If I remeber right the "professional" ballistics guys were claiming overpenetration shooting through about 20 inches of wall board. They are not the first to try the ammo on something it was not designed for. When I shoot through the tough skin and shoulder bone of a of a full grown wild hog and get the same results as shooting it in the belly, that has to make you rethink how the stuff is being tested. just because you tack a bunch of letters on the end of someones name doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. If I am gonna use this stuff to protect myself and my family or just hunt with, I want to personally use it and see what it does and I am not taking anyone elses word for it, professional or not. Neither should you take mine. The guy said he picked it up and asked for thoughts, impressions and was it any good. I gave my opinion and seems to me that I am the only one with actual experience with it. not here to argue, just sharing my experience with this particular ammo