How do you refinish checkered 1911 grips? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you refinish checkered 1911 grips?

S&WM&P40 if your not sure what type of wood it is use caution when sanding. If they are cocobolo the dust is poisonous.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    How long does it take to dry? I also don't want an oil that feels like crap. I can't wait LOL, counting down the hours! I pick it up at 1:20 today, I have to decide if it's going to be a Him or a her so I can name it LOL. May even sneak in a Ruger LCP for the wife(Shhh, don't tell her, LOL)

I picked up 600 rounds of ammo for it yesterday so I can bust it's cherry.
    So long as you don't go too heavy with it, overnight should do it. You can always do a second coat if the first one soaks right in.
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

Quote Originally Posted by homershoots View Post
    S&WM&P40 if your not sure what type of wood it is use caution when sanding. If they are cocobolo the dust is poisonous.
    Good to know! Really not sure what kind of wood it is. I'll be sure to ware a mask when stripping it.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Lifer and Proud View Post
    So long as you don't go too heavy with it, overnight should do it. You can always do a second coat if the first one soaks right in.
    Place them on the heater over night. Or maybe a heat gun.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll hit up the Orange box(HD) and see what kind of stripper they have. I already have the stain just need some polyurethane. After it's dried, hit the grips with some fine steel wool to smooth them out?
    oooo will do the job
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by DavidH1 View Post
    oooo will do the job
    Good to know. I picked some up today with the rest of the stuff.

Stipeaze. gel You can get it at Lowes or Home depot. Put the gel on and let the chemical do all the work. Get laquer thinner to clean it afterward. Use an old toothbrush or a cheap paintbrush with the bristles cut down to about 1 inch to get in all the checkering. Make sure all the old finish is off and cleaned thoroughly before you start the finishing process. If its not repeat the process. Your grips should be nice and smooth with no tace of old finish.
    Polyurethane is not the best choice and is harder to strip off if you should ever have to do this again. A good quality nitrocellulose laquer wouild be preferred or you can go old school and use linseed oil. However if you handle your weapon alot, your grips will grow darker with time if you use the oil. That is not necessarily a bad thing It looks kinda cool to me.
    Use of laquer: put 5 coats on it and THEN lightly wet sand it with a small piece of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. (don't hit the checkering to much or you will go through the finish) wipe it off with a tack cloth and make sure you take a CLEAN bristle brush to the checkering just to removeany small particles. Put 2 more light coats of laquer on it and let dry. Good to go.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by rudiepop View Post
    Stipeaze. gel You can get it at Lowes or Home depot. Put the gel on and let the chemical do all the work. Get laquer thinner to clean it afterward. Use an old toothbrush or a cheap paintbrush with the bristles cut down to about 1 inch to get in all the checkering. Make sure all the old finish is off and cleaned thoroughly before you start the finishing process. If its not repeat the process. Your grips should be nice and smooth with no tace of old finish.
    Polyurethane is not the best choice and is harder to strip off if you should ever have to do this again. A good quality nitrocellulose laquer wouild be preferred or you can go old school and use linseed oil. However if you handle your weapon alot, your grips will grow darker with time if you use the oil. That is not necessarily a bad thing It looks kinda cool to me.
    Use of laquer: put 5 coats on it and THEN lightly wet sand it with a small piece of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. (don't hit the checkering to much or you will go through the finish) wipe it off with a tack cloth and make sure you take a CLEAN bristle brush to the checkering just to removeany small particles. Put 2 more light coats of laquer on it and let dry. Good to go.
    I would have loved to use linseed oil for the grips, but HD only sold it by the gallon jug. I would never use it all and have limited space to store it. I used a paint stripper called Citristrip(smells like oranges) it was kinda like a paste. I let it sit on the grips for a few hours, then took a brass wire brush and brushed some of the stain off. I left some of it on and stained over it, it made the stain come out darker. I used a damp rag with water to remove the residue of the stripper. Then used the brass brush on the checkering again to remove any left over stripper stuck in there.

I applied about two coats of the stain and then two coats of polyurethane, used the 000 steel wool on the grips before the second coat of polyurethane. It smooth it out vary nicely, but it did not work well on the checkering. It pulled the pad apart and left steel wool stuck to the checkering.

They are all done now and reinstalled on the gun, I'll post photos of them in a little while. Not sure if y'all will be able to tell the difference or not, my photography skills suck!

I would have loved to use linseed oil for the grips, but HD only sold it by the gallon jug. I would never use it all and have limited space to store it. I used a paint stripper called Citristrip(smells like oranges) it was kinda like a paste. I let it sit on the grips for a few hours, then took a brass wire brush and brushed some of the stain off. I left some of it on and stained over it, it made the stain come out darker. I used a damp rag with water to remove the residue of the stripper. Then used the brass brush on the checkering again to remove any left over stripper stuck in there.

I applied about two coats of the stain and then two coats of polyurethane, used the 000 steel wool on the grips before the second coat of polyurethane. It smooth it out vary nicely, but it did not work well on the checkering. It pulled the pad apart and left steel wool stuck to the checkering.

They are all done now and reinstalled on the gun, I'll post photos of them in a little while. Not sure if y'all will be able to tell the difference or not, my photography skills suck!
    Just for future reference, a smaller hardware store usually carry smaller containers of boiled linseed oil. I got mine at the Ace in Bedford, I think it's a pint. That will last me and my wood stocked rifles for a long time LOL
    NRA Life Member, NH CC, Gun Owners of America, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Second Amendment Foundation
    "Remember, incoming fire has the Right of Way"

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Lifer and Proud View Post
    Just for future reference, a smaller hardware store usually carry smaller containers of boiled linseed oil. I got mine at the Ace in Bedford, I think it's a pint. That will last me and my wood stocked rifles for a long time LOL
    That's what sucks about big box stores,when they came into town all the mom and pop stores that had been around for years all closed up. We have one left that still sells nails and screws by the pound, I love going there Vs a box store that forces you to buy a whole box when all you need is one or two.

I was researching wood bleach, it seems to work nicely at removing stains on wood(water stains,paint etc..)

I miss mom and pop stores, they treated you like a friend and knew what the hell they where talking about. Go to Lowes, Home Depot etc.. The store employee knows nothing about the product your looking for/wanting to buy, outside of the five minute computer training class are forced to take. It's like Wal-Marts TLE departments, they are staffed with people who know nothing about oil changes, car batteries etc.. People who worked as a door greeter or deli clerk and now playing car tech. Sure the prices are higher at mom and pop stores, but so is the customer service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast