How Do You Safely Carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Safely Carry?

You could trade in the Walther for a Bersa. I've found they are much looser when brand new. They are hard to tell apart at first glance. I had a woman buy one after trying both guns, because she couldn't operate the Walther due to lack of strength.

3. Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Only if the gun has an actual decocker (like a DA/SA). If you have to pull the trigger to and try to gently drop the hammer on a live round then absolutely not - that's just asking to blow a hole in your floor.

If it has the decocker, then that's great and would be faster than an empty chamber - just make sure whatever you carry it in has a good, stiff cover for the trigger guard area, so that if it is jostled in your bag/purse there's no possibility of something getting into the trigger guard.
    People have been decocking guns for a hundred years without blowing holes in floors, ceilings or walls. Especially on modern guns with hammer block internal safeties.

1. Place the index finger of the non-firing hand between the hammer and the frame/firing pin of the gun.

2. Hold the hammer back with the thumb of the firing hand.

3. Pull trigger all the way back, as normal.

4. Gently lower hammer down onto the finger between the hammer and the firing pin.

5. Release the trigger. This engages the hammer block/firing pin block internal safety of a modern gun.

6. Holding the hammer back with the thumb just enough to remove your finger, remove the finger from in front of the hammer.

7. Lower the hammer gently down upon the hammer block/firing pin block.

Localgirl,
    If your gun will fire double-action (from pulling the trigger with the hammer down), I would say the safest mode of carry would be with hammer down on a chambered round with the safety off, in a proper holster.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Not being a woman, but understanding how it can be difficult for women to carry concealed, I turn to the pros - Woman :)

I actually been looking into this a lot lately, due to my wife, and some of her friends wanting to get their permit to carry. The best I've found so far is "Falia" on YouTube. She carries in many different manners, depending on the outfit she's wearing. Check out here video here:

Also, Girl's Guide to Guns | Females for Firearms has some good info as well.

Ultimately, it's up to you how you carry - what is practical for you.

Just remember two things: Safety and Practice.

Safety - always holster your weapon. Don't just drop it in a pocket, or purse, or bag. Make sure it has a secure location inside, the trigger guard is completely covered, and you can access the weapon quickly and smoothly.

Practice - speaking of quickly and smoothly, however you decide to carry, practice your draw - dry fire at first, then live at the range. You don't want the first time you draw to be the time your life depends on that draw.

Good luck, and when you get situated with your method of carry, let me know - I'd love to have a "Guest Post" on my blog!
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

I have a Walther PK380 also and I've been playing around with the best way to carry it. I've carried most ways possible so far and I always carry round in chamber hammer down safety on. I'd even feel comfortable leaving the safety off on this gun since it is so hard to pull the trigger in DA mode. With the hammer back I wouldn't leave the safety off.

It is of course about what makes you feel safe. That's a pretty big gun for a handbag but with a nylon holster that covers the trigger guard and a long heavy first trigger pull having a round in the chamber with hammer down should be good. That being said, one of the things I have against handbag carry is if the handbag is stolen, so is your gun (also your driver's license with your home address so the perp can go to your home with your gun to get more stuff or worse).

Also with a handbag, hopefully it is in your presence all the time so that heaven forbid a kid gets into it or something. If it is not right with you all the time it probably is best to leave it in a holster with a thumb strap, hammer down, safety on with an empty chamber, magazine removed. You just want there to be as many things that a kid can't figure out as possible.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

7. I'm not familiar with this pistol so I looked it up on line. If I have the right pistol: it is a Single/Double action pistol.

You should not carry this type of pistol with the hammer back and a round in the chamber. So you are correct in that respect with this pistol.

If you carry the pistol loose in the handbag you are also correct not to have a round in the chamber. The risk of something getting entangled with the trigger and causing a discharge is too great.

If you carry with a round chambered and the hammer down on this type of pistol you must have a sturdy holster to protect the trigger from accidental discharge.

There are Handbags and Fanny Packs with a holster built into them that might solve your carry problem.

Also you can buy a sturdy holster that fits the pistol and place the whole thing in any handbag you might have. That way you never have to explain why you always have the same handbag. If that's a problem.

According to the internet description of this pistol it has a "low cocking resistance slide." So this is the correct pistol for you if you only feel comfortable carrying without a round in the chamber. It's designed to be easy to chamber a round.

Now: two things to think about:

I don't recommend carrying any pistol loose in a handbag because it's difficult to get to quickly. You would have to fumble for it. You may not have that much time. Plus: if something gets entangled with the pistol you may not be able to get the pistol to work at all. (If something gets lodged behind the trigger. For example)

I also don't recommend carrying without a round in the chamber because it then takes two hands to get the pistol into action. A luxury you may not have if someone grapples with you. Always be wary of anyone near you.

Always keep in mind that any pistol/carry combination is a compromise. There is no correct combination. There are only varying degrees of safety/comfort/usefulness. And you often gain one at the expense of one of the others. Just don't compromise on safety.

If you get one of the handbags with the holster built into or a sturdy holster it you should be quite happy with it.

One word Smartcarry... basically it is what is shown in the video above. No special belt is required and it will cover the trigger so it is a safe simple on body carry option... and with a short barreled pistol it is pretty comfy too even for a guy. It is my go to deep CC option and I carry up to a Glock 26 size pistol in it. You can even get one that will carry a spare mag next to the pistol.

My favorite deep CC pistol is my Polish P64 one in the chamber decocked safety off. Basically it is just pull the trigger and go..
    Michigan Open Carry Inc. Southwest Regional Coordinator.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

From a girl's point of view....

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    People have been decocking guns for a hundred years without blowing holes in floors, ceilings or walls. Especially on modern guns with hammer block internal safeties.

Localgirl,
    If your gun will fire double-action (from pulling the trigger with the hammer down), I would say the safest mode of carry would be with hammer down on a chambered round with the safety off, in a proper holster.
    Based on the specs listed on the Walther website, the PK380 is a DA/SA. Therefore, I agree with NavyLT: barring the acquisition of a different gun, carry with a round chambered but the hammer down. The long pull of the trigger is your safety.

Additionally, I recommend carrying on your body--after a while you will hardly notice it. There is nothing worse than needing your gun and not having access to it.

When I got my first gun, I too chose one that had a manual safety lever because I was nervous about accidental discharges. Now that I am more comfortable with firearms and the safeties that are built into current models, I have pretty much switched to firearms that are DAO (and the one that has a safety lever rides with one in the chamber and the safety OFF).

I hope this helps.

OK here is how you safely decock and carry the PK 380 hammer down with a loaded chamber.

Step one chamber a round

Step two actuate safety

Step three Lower hammer onto safety by pulling the trigger and riding the hammer down with your thumb (NOTE with gun pointed into a bucket of sand or other safe spot)

Step four move safety to fire position or up.

Step five insert pistol into smartcarry or other holster that will cover the trigger.

Now you have a pistol that is ready to go with a pull of the trigger but which still has a mechanical safety in operation. The firing pin block safety will not allow the firing pin to contact the primer in the cartridge unless the trigger is pulled.

NOTE it is a good idea for every gun owner that carries to have a clearing bucket. I use a 5 gallon bucket filled with beach sand with the lid installed. The bullet will pass through the lid and hit the sand and stop if I have an ND. You only need 8 inches of sand to stop the largest caliber bullet generally carried .50AE or 500 SW so a 5 gallon bucket is perfect. Also by having the lid on you get little to no sand spray and if you knock it over while cleaning there is no mess. I even painted my bucket with Krylon Fusion paint so it blends into the room.
    Michigan Open Carry Inc. Southwest Regional Coordinator.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

A lot of really great input. Thanks, everyone!

The best advice was to practice, which I plan to do this weekend. I'll try drawing and firing from a variety of conditions and see which feels best.

I'm liking the idea of one in the chamber, hammer down. As a few people pointed out, this is a pretty safe way to carry this particular firearm, even with the safety disengaged.

Will file range report later.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast