How Do You Safely Carry? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Safely Carry?

1. Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    OK here is how you safely decock and carry the PK 380 hammer down with a loaded chamber.

Step one chamber a round

Step two actuate safety

Step three Lower hammer onto safety by pulling the trigger and riding the hammer down with your thumb (NOTE with gun pointed into a bucket of sand or other safe spot)
    Is it really possible to decock the gun with the manual safety engaged? I thought the whole purpose of a manual safety was to keep the hammer from falling when the trigger is pulled?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I carry a makarov cuz i can have one in the chamber with the hammer down and safety off. The pull is a little on the hard side so i have no worries of the gun going off. I recomend a double action gun for carry.

OK, I had a few minutes on my lunch break and headed to the range.

I didn't have time to test all the conditions, but I can say that yes, if you pull the trigger with the safety on, the pistol decocks. Kind of weird and scary.

I can also report to you that with the hammer down, round in the chamber, the trigger pull takes about a week to engage. SERIOUSLY long, hard pull.

I plan to spend more time this weekend, though I must confess, I'm leaning towards cocked and locked at this point.

5. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    but I can say that yes, if you pull the trigger with the safety on, the pistol decocks. Kind of weird and scary.
    Well, that's weird! I did have a P345 that the safety on position was also the decocker, as well as the Beretta M-9, but I have never heard of a gun decocking with the trigger with the safety on.

I would highly recommend figuring out a way to carry on your body, though, because the first then a criminal is going to take from you is your purse or handbag.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Localgirl, do yourself a favor and visit Naturally Concealed - Home and look at what's offered. My Beloved Kathleen has stopped carrying in her handbag, in favor of her Naturally Concealed rig. She swears it is more comfortable then her bra. Nobody ever "makes" her when she carries. I'll admit she's a big busty gal; a really skinny woman might find it more of a challenge. But for my Kate, her Airweight Centennial and two extra speedloaders are no annoyance at all to carry all day. Remember, you send the nice lady two important measurements, and she custom makes the rig and gets it to you very quickly. Quite affordable, too.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    OK, I had a few minutes on my lunch break and headed to the range.

I didn't have time to test all the conditions, but I can say that yes, if you pull the trigger with the safety on, the pistol decocks. Kind of weird and scary.

I can also report to you that with the hammer down, round in the chamber, the trigger pull takes about a week to engage. SERIOUSLY long, hard pull.

I plan to spend more time this weekend, though I must confess, I'm leaning towards cocked and locked at this point.

I'm glad you're listening to all the good advice and realize that carrying a gun with an empty chamber is not a great idea. Please come the rest of the way; and realize "On Body" carry is a far, far, better method than "off body carry".

One other method is AIWB. This has become my wife's preferred method of carry. I also think the "Smartcarry" works for most women very well; in all but the tightest of clothes.

It's a fact of life; skin tight clothes and cc generally do not "easily" mix. But, when your personal safety and style choice butt heads, SAFETY should always win out.

Remember, the most stylish outfit and the most expensive designer handbag will do ABSOLUTELY nothing to insure you get safely back home. But, a good firearm and IWB holster just might save you life one day.

I know a woman who's exceptionally proficient with firearms and who carries every day. She said she never carries her pistol in her purse. Purses are too easy to snatch (they're natural targets for thieves), too cluttered, and sometimes not within arm's length. Depending on her choice of clothing she either uses an ankle holster or an IWB rig.

As far as whether you carry chambered or not....if you don't, you better make sure you're really good when it comes to drawing, racking, and aiming. Practice, practice, practice.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

I'm in Texas, so I decided to go with a Smartcarry holster band that I can wear under my cargo short wich I wear a size big with a belt. Only print I get is from the butt, which I cant help, it being a double stack mag but my shirt covers it well. Nobody has been able to tell. I also keep it chamberd and ready with the safety on. All it takes it practice for the draw. I'm still shopping around for a IWB/small of back or kidney are for the jean wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    Localgirl, do yourself a favor and visit Naturally Concealed - Home and look at what's offered. My Beloved Kathleen has stopped carrying in her handbag, in favor of her Naturally Concealed rig. She swears it is more comfortable then her bra. Nobody ever "makes" her when she carries. I'll admit she's a big busty gal; a really skinny woman might find it more of a challenge. But for my Kate, her Airweight Centennial and two extra speedloaders are no annoyance at all to carry all day. Remember, you send the nice lady two important measurements, and she custom makes the rig and gets it to you very quickly. Quite affordable, too.
    Not the best holster to use while carrying and breastfeeding though.

Localgirl, getting into the conversation late. You have gotten some great advice by the guys, they know what is and isn't safe and hope you take some of it to heart. But, let me make a suggestion, woman to woman.

A bit of background..I hated guns, hated everything about them for a long time. I have a retired military husband who can shoot a nats fanny off at some distance, is an FFL, and loves to target practice or skeet shoot, doesn't matter what were doing. I am also an EMT and one call, we ran a rather intense call and afterwords the man seemed very grateful for all we did. He was put on my floor where I also worked at our local hospital and when he was discharged, he was so upset he had no ride home so, being a nice person, I took him home, as it was only about 5 miles out of my way. WRONG thing to do. Bottom line, I had a stalker for about 2 years, who had a 5 page rap sheet and it was not good at all. I learned to shoot and I shoot well.

I started out going to a friends house who has a plethora of fire power, everything from small hand guns to hand cannons, shotguns, rifles, you name it we shot it. I tried everything to find out what I was comfortable with, what fit in my hands, what I enjoyed or didn't like and once I had done that several times, my husband I went out and bought my first weapon. I started carrying a Glock 19. Because I conceal carry, my weapon is always hot, I will not take chances with myself nor my family nor our safety. I strongly encourage you to do what I did, go out and try other weapons if you find the one you have now is stiff or your not comfortable with, which is what I am getting from you.

Now, because I found the Glock 19 a bit too cumbersome to carry, as I also have a weapon when I ride my horse, my husband got me a Glock 26 for Christmas and I love it! It fits a lot better against my side, I can conceal it well, and it is a bit lighter than the Glock 19. I still carry the other one, but my preferred choice is the 26.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast