How Do You Safely Carry?
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Safely Carry?

How Do You Safely Carry?

At the risk of opening a huge bag of worms, I'd like opinions on how to carry.

I got slapped a little for posting the way I concealed carry, so I'm respectfully requesting informed opinions.

I carry a Walther PK.380 in a small shoulder bag, worn diagonal. (Though right now I'm not carrying, because the gun wore an outline into the bag and I need to find a replacement).

Shoulder or hip carry is not really an option. Plus, if I have to think about carrying every morning, I probably won't do it. That's just how it is, so don't get stuck berating me on the deeper psychological implications of choice.

OK, so the real issue is this: I carry my gun hammer down, empty chamber.

My hands are pretty small, and I can't reach the safety with my thumb when I'm gripping my pistol. Plus the safety is a little stiff.

Using logic, I figured I would carry safety off, hammer down, empty chamber.

If I rack a round into the pistol, it's automatically cocked and ready to fire. In my mind, this is quicker than fumbling with the safety.

However, I'm open to ideas.

Obviously I carry because I want to be able to protect myself or others in dangerous situations, and obviously I'm weighing the risks of carrying in a bag, no chambered round, against the benefits of having a firearm in a bad situation.

I really don't like the idea of carrying a pistol with the hammer pulled back--safety or no. There's just something about it that doesn't sit right with me.

So, barring getting another firearm, which isn't practical for money reasons as well as fit, is there a best way to carry this gun to both protect me and guard against accidental discharge?

Try to be civil, boys....

How you carry is a personal choice, carrying a gun off body is your choice, carrying a gun off body, empty chamber, having to rack slide is your choice, you will be beaten, stabbed and harmed before your could respond, save your money and get a weapon you are confortable with, that fits your hand, with a good safety. A large number of pistols allow you to carry (decocker) round in chamber and ready for use. Just my two cents.

I would suggest a belly band. I have had many ladies carry this way and they tell me it allows them to carry with many outfits.
    As for the safety, if the gun is newer it will be stiff, but the more it is used it will be easier to use. And small hands just means more practice with the firearm.
    Just my 2 cents.
    NRA CRSO and Instructor: Certified Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Certified Home Firearm Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim
    SABRE Civilian Safety Awareness Program Instructor

5. Quote Originally Posted by LGH View Post
    As for the safety, if the gun is newer it will be stiff, but the more it is used it will be easier to use. And small hands just means more practice with the firearm.
    Just my 2 cents.
    I agree - with instruction/training/practice the gun will loosen up, you'll be more comfortable with how to operate it and you'll feel more comfortable with the various ways it can be carried. If it doesn't get to where you're comfortable with how it operates, I would sell it and get something you are comfortable with - but I'm a strong believer that unless you have an actual physical impairment, you probably should be able to learn how to properly run any gun.

I would never use off-body carry, but I've seen first hand how quickly stuff goes sideways and I know that if I need a gun - I need it 5 seconds ago. That said, if you do choose to utilize off body carry, please make sure that it is in bag/container that either has a dedicated place to put a gun, or a way to safely secure a holster-esque container for the weapon. You don't want anything in the compartment with it that would slow you down and you don't want the chance of something entering the trigger guard while you're carrying or when you go to reholster/stow the weapon. I know you said you won't carry with a round in the chamber, but it's just good practice to make sure nothing is pulling the trigger on your weapon except your trigger finger... Not to mention, if it is setup correctly you could carry the weapon in condition 1 completely safely. One way to get comfortable with this is to carry it in condition one, just without any actual ammo in it and to periodically check to see if the safety has come off or if the hammer has fallen, etc. If you're carrying it correctly, you'll soon learn that a single-action weapon, properly designed for condition 1 carry is completely safe in that mode.

Hammer position

Agree with these comments, get a better holster or get a better ccw that you are comfortable with.

That said, the way you are carrying now, wouldn't it be better to have the hammer cocked? I say this because the chamber is empty and the safety is off, having the hammer cocked is not unsafe in this situation but will allow an easier racking of the slide (because there is less spring tension/resistance by not having to pull the hammer back too). Like early posters, you are all ready at a disadvantage with time...this may help a little...

Being a guy.. and my wife doesnt carry.. I may not have the best advice.

I hip cary, outside the waistband and have been looking at options for her. She would be the shoulder holster type of carry in my opinion due to her sweaters and she doesnt wear a belt.

Personally I dont keep one in the chamber either but I practice my draw and arm to keep the muscle memory sharp.

Have you checked in with the other ladies on how they carry?
    Women & Guns

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    How you carry is a personal choice, carrying a gun off body is your choice, carrying a gun off body, empty chamber, having to rack slide is your choice, you will be beaten, stabbed and harmed before your could respond, save your money and get a weapon you are confortable with, that fits your hand, with a good safety. A large number of pistols allow you to carry (decocker) round in chamber and ready for use. Just my two cents.
    What he said! Also don't be worried about choosing a D/A pistol with a long trigger pull and no safety. Like a point shoot camera.
    I do like the D/A S/A with decocker. You can carry it cocked and locked with the safety on like a 1911 or you can carry it like a D/A with the safety on or you can carry it like a D/A with the safety off. All ways with one in the chamber and it will be safe. Choice 2 is very safe and will give you peace of mind. Save those pennies. Good luck.

So I'm reading that hammer back, one in the chamber, safety engaged is smartest. Anyone want to weigh in on one in the chamber, hammer down?

10. Oh, I should have mentioned - my wife carries OWB on the back of her hip, most of her shirts work fine with this, the ones that are clingy she just wears something else on top of it (a sweater or vest or something girly)... Of course, she only carries when she's not with me because she also doesn't like to think about it and prefers for me to have that responsibility when we're out...

We both carry with a round in the chamber, but she will only carry a firearm with an external safety - so I carry a full size M&P with no safety and she carries an M&P compact with the safety.

11. Quote Originally Posted by localgirl View Post
    So I'm reading that hammer back, one in the chamber, safety engaged is smartest. Anyone want to weigh in on one in the chamber, hammer down?
    Only if the gun has an actual decocker (like a DA/SA). If you have to pull the trigger to and try to gently drop the hammer on a live round then absolutely not - that's just asking to blow a hole in your floor.

If it has the decocker, then that's great and would be faster than an empty chamber - just make sure whatever you carry it in has a good, stiff cover for the trigger guard area, so that if it is jostled in your bag/purse there's no possibility of something getting into the trigger guard.
    Last edited by KevinD; 05-04-2011 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Additional comments.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast