Shooting At Fleeing Robbers - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting At Fleeing Robbers

Citizens have no duty to pursue.

While a fleeing robber still constitutes a threat, once he is clearly off-scene, it is really not a good idea.

-Doc

Stupid on his part? Yes!
    Was he within his rights? Yes. This is Texas we are talking about here guys.
    We ALL shall see the Lord one day .... please don't make me set up the meeting.

NOt in KY

In the film Felon he chases after someone who broke into his house, He hits him with a bat in the head on his front yard killing him. He is then arrested and found guilty and sent away for three years. The scene I'm talking about starts around 2:53. I think about this scene everyday.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Not legal in OK.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

In SC, partcularly at night, you can shoot to kill someone who is fleeing as long as you have a presumption that a crime has been committed and you had attempted a citizen's arrest from which he is now fleeing. Everytime I read the code I find it hard to believe what I am reading but the english is plain and unmistakeable and there has been case law, even recently, where the shooting has been upheld without prosecution. Screw around someone's property or attempt a crime, at night, you can easily become an obit story.

Within his rights? I don't know but don't see how he would be. "threat is over, etc etc" Within the realm of common sense? Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. NO

Let the cops do the chasing!

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DKA View Post
    Not in North Carolina. After the threat is over, there is no justification.
    Exactly. Besides "back shooting" is STILL considered "bad form". Remember the Law generally allludes to "use of deadly force when threatened by same". A BG making tracks away from your AO is hardly a "serious threat to personal safety".

Too bad, perp removal IS a laudable goal! But, you gots to take the good with the bad in these Laws.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12