Hard time deciding what caliber, then what firearm. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard time deciding what caliber, then what firearm.

Looked at a sigg p290 the other day is about .380 size but is 9mm 6+1 would be good for you or the wife. Personally I like 45acp in a subcompact for edc. Glock g30 g36, Colt defender or any 1911sc will work.

Kimber Solo

Give a look at the Kimber Solo - if funds are not tight you will love this pistol. Very solid and feels amazing in a smaller hand.

Lot's of good advice.^^^^^^^

Food for thought:

Concealed is 80% attitude/body language.
    Remember a smaller caliber in a tiny gun often is as difficult to shoot as a big 45.

Determine how much you are willing to practice on a monthly basis (most don't after the "new wears off").

Simple is better.
    Point and pull the trigger is best in a suprise/stress situation.
    We're talking life or death here.

It's really difficult to beat a small 5 shot 38 revolver with a smooth, light, DA trigger,
    IF you can conceal it.

The BG better be rendered ineffective in 3 shots...... period.

Who needs 52 rounds on your person for CCW? If you face multiple assailants you'll only get to fire 5 shots anyway. Game over.

The size and caliber of the gun you shoot well and always have with you is the right one for you. Figure out what that is.

I've never heard the term, "ignorant of comfort"

My wife is VERY fond of her Kahr PM9 as a carry piece, and she actually enjoys shooting it. This gun is almost as small and light as the S&W .380 but shoots full power and +P 9mm with no issues.

Do not know your budget but my wife just got her CCP and is getting her own Charter Arms "off duty". It is a 38 weighing 12 oz. Two inch barrel and oversized grip. I carry a Sig 232 in 380 and feel completely comfortable with it. I used to carry 45s of several styles(all 1911 or clones) but got tired of the weight and bulk. Don't be fooled by the hype for 9mms. They just travel slightly faster than 380s and that is not a good thing from my viewpoint. I call 380s--mini 45s. Far as bullet size, 9X18s-9mms-38s-357s are all almost the same diameter. The speed and projectile weight are the only difference. There are several countries and police depts that use the 380 as service weapons so someone must respect them. I certainly do.

8. Get her what SHE picks out. If it's for HER, then SHE needs to get what is best for HER.

Men have no more business picking out a gun for a woman than they do picking out shoes for them.

You're not gonna wear the shoes and the plan is for HER to be the one shooting the gun. Let her decide what works or doesn't work for HER.

The khars (pm9/40/45, cw9/40/45, ruger lc9, sig p290,etc) are all really nice guns, but don't confuse them with the mini 380's size...there is still a significant size difference (real and conceived) 380 +p is a wicked round I trust fully.

First choice would be the Kimber Solo, but they're $700+.
    Second choice would be the Ruger LC9 $400 or so.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Get her what SHE picks out. If it's for HER, then SHE needs to get what is best for HER.

Men have no more business picking out a gun for a woman than they do picking out shoes for them.

You're not gonna wear the shoes and the plan is for HER to be the one shooting the gun. Let her decide what works or doesn't work for HER.
    ^^^ THIS! ^^^

I agre that either a 9mm or a 38sp are good choices. BUT!

Be aware that if your wife doesn't like to shoot much a small "ultralite" handgun in a 38 caliber or larger may not be the best choice. Revolvers are the easiest handguns to operate. But, the snappyness can make the difficult and frustrating for a newbie.

I would recommend something in a "compact" size; (NOT sub-compact!)! A Bersa probably Thunder 9 would probably top my list.
    Go here to learn more: Bersa Chat Forum - The Front Page

Then I would check out the possibility of buying a new XDM compact 9mm.
    You can learn more at XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Finally for a revolver or a semi-automatic you should NOT rule out a Taurus. However, I would advise against the "millineum" line; and instead opt for a 24/7 Pro C in 9mm.
    Here's a link to the best place to learn ALL about the good, bad and best things about Taurus: Taurus Armed.net - Index

I own all the above brands and carry them regularly. I have NO qualms about trusting ANY of the above with my life. My wife and I protect our family with the above brand HGs on a daily basis.

Take you time and research things. It takes time to weed the all the "Brand" name bravado BS that's out there.

Good Luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast