favorite 9mm - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite 9mm

Thumbs up Glock and Kel-Tec

Anyone on these forums knows that I am a Glock person who loves Glocks. But I have also been a big fan of Kel-Tec, for different reasons. Glock makes without a doubt the best general purpose pistols. You see a lot of Glocks at IDPA matches, durring defensive training courses, on the belts of LEO's, and at bowling pin shoots. However with that being said, I like Kel-Tec as a niche firearms company. You won't see Kel-Tec making a 1911 clone or a general purpose firearm like a Glock/Walther/HK USP clone, that's not their market. Instead you see Kel-Tec making niche firearms that other makers do not offer.

Case in point the Sub-2000. This pistol caliber carbine is indeed one of a kind. Robin Taylor, a competitive Glock shooter, decribes this rifle as the closest thing you can find to a Glock Carbine. This rifle fills a niche that is not filled by any other firearms company.

The rifle caliber pistol, or stockless carbine is another niche that Kel-Tec fills with their PLR-16. The PLR-16 is a pistol meant to be slung that takes common AR-15 magazines. (Please don't refer to them as "clips" even if you do think it sounds more gangsta.) This is not something you will see from Glock anytime soon, IMHO.

Kel-Tec has also gotten into the pocket 32ACP and 380ACP markets quite sucessfully. IIRC, forum member kelcarry, the same one that says that I am obviously hostile towards SC LEO's, carries a Kel-Tec pistol in this class.

Kel-Tec recently introduced a service size rimfire pistol, the PMR-30. An interesting concept I admit, however I don't like the lack of an adjustable rear site.

The KSG shotgun, when it becomes available looks like another good product from this company.

Some people on these forums will find it odd that I would endorce a non-Glock firearms maker, but I don't see it as inconsistant at all.

3. Yep, Kel-Tec is certainly a niche brand. They're heavy into CNC and their finish isn't the best, but hard to falut a cheap, reliable and accurate handgun. I followed the buf+polish routine (15 min) and it's been 100% reliable.

I looked at the Ruger LC9 and it seems like a nicer finish, plus it has a manual safety...but I'm attached to my PF9. The military like finish grew on me, so I'm holding on to it. :)

Don

No 9mm is the best kind. A .40 and .45 have way better stopping power. The idea if you ever had to use your firearm to use the least amount of rounds as possible. With 9mm usually you have to use more. Here in Colorado most of the LE agencies don't allow there officers to carry 9mm anymore because to many cities and counties have been sued because officers shot a suspect to many time and didn't kill them.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3 View Post
    No 9mm is the best kind. A .40 and .45 have way better stopping power. The idea if you ever had to use your firearm to use the least amount of rounds as possible. With 9mm usually you have to use more. Here in Colorado most of the LE agencies don't allow there officers to carry 9mm anymore because to many cities and counties have been sued because officers shot a suspect to many time and didn't kill them.
    Not everyone lives in an area where it's feasible to carry anything larger. With my currently clothing, it's hard to conceal even a Kel-Tec PF-9. I'm actually considering buying a Ruger LCP for the summer. For some people, if you're debating whether or not to carry at all because your gun is too large for you to conceal, then you don't have the luxury of choosing a larger round. It's better to have a pea-shooter on your person than a hand-cannon in your closet.

That said, if we're really going to argue which round is best without consideration for size or concealment... I vote the 220mm shell fired by a howitzer.

(I apologize for any annoyed undertone in my text. I've just heard this argument one too many times )

I like the Ruger LC9 it fits well in my, slightly long fingered hand, without my palm being stretched. That being said it does have a long, trigger pull but a slight modification fixed that (not going into detail) I do not own one and was shooting a friends.
    As for accuracy it is a handgun, up to 30 yards okay, beyond that its better then some.
    My honest suggestion for CC however is go for a 5 shot stub nose 38 or 32 slightly better stopping power, eh accuracy beyond 25 yards but you are 20 feet from the guy your shooting and there is no "did I chamber a round?" plus 3 shots and they are down compared to 4-9 of a 9mm. (depending on location and +P or not)

7. Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3 View Post
    Tote as much gun as you can

1) Hide effectively. (It's called 'concealed carry' for a reason.)

2) Shoot straight with. (Misses don't do you any good. The sound ain't what does the damage, hitting where you are aiming with the bullet does.)

What caliber it is don't matter. If you hit the STOP button, the only one that will know for certain what you used is the coroner. I've used everything from a 2 shot .32 derringer to a .45 Colt 5 inch N frame Smith and Wesson DA wheelgun for concealed carry and most things in between over the last 20 years. I knew and accepted the limitations of each choice.

LEO's don't make the best example of marksmanship either. I've been shooting with and competing against LEO's all my shooting career and most (NOT ALL) can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside with the doors closed with a pistol and very few are anything close to 'gun savvy'. One of my regular shooting buddies back in the late '90's was a career cop that was the sheriff of a nearby county. I competed against him once every month in a 3 gun match and beat him every month using identical guns and ammunition (the only difference was manufacturer of the pistols and rifle but he had a better shotgun). The closest he ever came to beating me was losing by 10 seconds of total time- I had a pistol malfunction on the 3rd stage and had to take 4 misses (a miss was a 5 second penalty, 4x5=20 seconds that he was spotted).

Browning highpower.

9. I wish the Boberg XR9-S would be released already so we can see how it really compares.

XR9 Shorty - Boberg Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3 View Post
    Your comment relies on several false assumptions.

NO service pistol/service pistol caliber has "stopping power", not even the .45acp

All pistols, and even rifles and shotgun (although they are much more forgiving in this aspect) rely on bullets being placed where they will do the most good. Failing to hit vital structures in the bad guy's body with your bullets is the real issue.

The 9mm in modern JHP loadings works just fine.

The real reasons that most police departments use calibers larger than the 9mm have much more to do emotion and perception than reality.

The .40 and .45 DO NOT posses "way better stopping power" than the 9mm, to assume so is dangerous self delusion. ALL service caliber pistol launch bullets that suck, plain and simple, best to think and train accordingly.

No one has ever been sued for failing to kill another person. The object of shooting bad guys isn't to kill them, it's to make them stop whatever they were doing that got them shot in the first place.

The 9mm makes a very good choice for many people, and is in fact my choice for carry due to issues of cost of ammunition (most especially since I train at volume), recoil, weapon characteristics, accuracy, and my ability to make hits and run the gun one handed only both strong and weak hand.

Many people think they can run a gun and handle the recoil it offers, yet fail to practice one handed shooting. If you can't run the gun one handed then you are fooling yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider-3 View Post
    There always has to be at least one who chooses to ignore the subject of the thread and make their "my way is the only way" statement...

Close to 40 years of carry and I still labor under that misapprehension (apparently) that different calibers are better suited to different people. It must be nice to know what everyone needs...or, at least, to think you do.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast